PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Ubuntu 8.1

R154
03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey people, have any of you run Ubuntu dual booted with vista?

I need a stable linux system for me to work on coding, however, I am hesitant to dual boot my laptop considering I have no restore discs, and apparently my computer doesnt allow me to make them.

For the people that are running a dual booted system, did you guys make a partition?

I need to maintain vista for basic functionality. Like media center, and other apps. Besides I like the vista OS for casual usage, I would like to continue to have it available.

I have been pussyfooting around doing a ubuntu install, by just using remote connection to the linux boxes at the u of c, but due to its lack of reliability I have had it. It is buggy at best.

TIA!

chengj
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I've dual booted ubuntu with windows before yes.

Since you already have Vista installed:
1. Reduce the size your partition and create a new one for your Ubuntu.
2. Install Ubuntu to the new partition.
3. Ubuntu will will install a boot manager (grub) to allow you to select your OS.
4. Make sure you backed up your system (or at least your must have files) before step 1, if you're not sure what you're doing. :)

Shouldn't be any surprises. Once you get past the partitions, it's pretty straight forward.

R154
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks C! Exactly the information I wanted. Whether I should partition or not.

R154
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah fucking vista is not letting me make a partition. I tried through the vista disk management feature. Then with a 3rd party software which causes fatal damage to vista. I then restored, and I am still at a loss with how to create this fucking partition.

I am beyond irritated. With XP it was so simple and straight forward to run dual boot/partition. But why is it that vista has to be such a slut. FUCK YOU BILL GATES. Seriously, I hope you burn in hell.

cityhunter2501
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
how many partitions do you have on your laptop right now?

if you have 2 can you wipe the 2nd one completely?

R154
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
2nd one is the system restore. I need it because my computer will NOT make recovery disks.

I cannot make a partition on the main part C: however the partition for restore is far to little 2< gig left.

I have tried to use both GPart, and EAUS Partition. Pmagic doesnt make a partition software for vista :(

Every tutorial I have read through involved using the vista partion utility. However I cannot get it to work. It just shows Zero on my main partition (c:) and refuses to allow me to partition it.

ThatGuyishere
03-25-2009, 05:12 PM
the last time i used ubuntu, it let me set it up as a dual boot setup

R154
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I have vista installed currently. In order for ubuntu and windows not to interact and cause compatibility issues one MUST make seperate partitions for each OS. I cannot make a partition in windows vista without causing my computer not to boot vista.

That is the problem.

nonlinear
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
all you have to do is insert the ubuntu disc and boot from your disc rom drive. it will then allow you to choose your partitions, etc. it will also install the grub boot loader, which will allow you to select from ubuntu or windows when you boot your pc.

UndrgroundRider
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by R154
I have vista installed currently. In order for ubuntu and windows not to interact and cause compatibility issues one MUST make seperate partitions for each OS. I cannot make a partition in windows vista without causing my computer not to boot vista.

That is the problem.

Technically you don't need two partitions, but that's a more advanced topic.

What you're really looking to do is resize your existing NTFS partition to be smaller and to free up some disk space. Then you can install Ubuntu into the free space. The installer will take care of the boot loader to handle dual booting.

You can do the resize with a gparted USB live distro.

nonlinear
03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
also, before you do anything, you should get

1) Acronis True Image Home
2) Acronis disc director.

True Image HOme will let you make a disc image of your drive so that you can restore it to the same exact state if anything happens, and Disc Director will allow you to make the partitions if you can't use the ubuntu disc.

there are lots of torrents for these.

R154
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I decided to go with a much simpler solution considering I only linux for python to run in a native setting with other apps in conjunction.

I am running Sun xVM and running a virtual machine with Ubuntu.

Thanks to all of you guys. I cant begin to tell you how helpful you guys have been

Thanks beyond.

http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/vboxdownload.html#windows

01RedDX
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM

R154
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
well god dang it.

chengj
03-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

You can do the resize with a gparted USB live distro.

That's what that's called. Couldn't remember for the life of me. It's free and works quite well... Handy thing to have hanging around.

UndrgroundRider
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Ubuntu also runs quite reasonably off of a USB stick.

jkupper
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
When you run the ubuntu disk it gives you the option to resize partitions

em2ab
04-01-2009, 09:40 AM
This is much easier than you make it seem. You've got many options:
1. Run Ubuntu off a USB stick or CD
2. Run Ubuntu inside Windows
3. Run Windows inside Ubuntu
4. Use GParted to resize the partitions
5. Just put in an Ubuntu LiveCD and it'll handle all the partition resizing for you.
6. Take your computer back to the store and ask them why it doesn't make restore discs. Sounds like user error.

Either way, you're going to have to fix your MBR after installing Windows because it messes with GRUB and forces a Windows boot even after the dual install. You got to go in and fix that boot record so GRUB gives you the option of what to boot and Windows doesn't just bully into it like everything else. The second thing you need to consider when resizing partitions is that none of them actually resize properly since Vista hardcodes the start point for the partition. You'll get memory errors eventually if you don't do a complete wipe and reinstall.