PDA

View Full Version : Financial Industry.....Calgary or Vancouver

Sailz
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I am going to be moving to Calgary or Vancouver in the next year or two to pursue a career in Finance, I was wondering what are everyone's thoughts on Vancouver versus Calgary as far as wages and availability of careers. I know property is more expensive in Vancouver but I do not like to think of that as a real defining factor because it is an investment.

Thanks

ZorroAMG
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Err...what's an investment? Higher costs of living?

7thgenvic
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
What are you thinking in the Finance industry....... Have you gone to school? Do you have experience?

I graduated with my Finance Degree from U of C and I completed a Masters in Finance from Copenhagen Business School. From personal experience and given the credibility of my degrees, I would have to say Calgary is a better bet for getting a job in a related finance position. I have looked for banking job in Vancouver and didn't find anything that I wanted. If I were you I would switch to Accounting and start working on your CA,CGA or CMA. Its a brutal time to move and look in that industry. :)

Thats just me tho :)

Sailz
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Err...what's an investment? Higher costs of living?

The cost of buying a house there is more expensive than Calgary, but when you decide to sell either to move or downside you make that much more than having bought in Calgary....I.e. Its not a sunk cost...its an investment.

Sailz
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
What are you thinking in the Finance industry....... Have you gone to school? Do you have experience?

I graduated with my Finance Degree from U of C and I completed a Masters in Finance from Copenhagen Business School. From personal experience and given the credibility of my degrees, I would have to say Calgary is a better bet for getting a job in a related finance position. I have looked for banking job in Vancouver and didn't find anything that I wanted. If I were you I would switch to Accounting and start working on your CA,CGA or CMA. Its a brutal time to move and look in that industry. :)

Thats just me tho :)

I have a B. Comm in addition to being a level 3 CFA candidate. I looked into the CA a few years back and decided the CFA was better suited for me.

The Cosworth
03-25-2009, 06:49 PM
have you seen vancouvers house prices lately? they are dropping worse then here.

Leaky condo fiasco? etc.

ZorroAMG
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Sailz

you make that much more than having bought in Calgary....I.e. Its not a sunk cost...its an investment.

Re-read your texts because you sure as hell don't in this market.

Originally posted by The Cosworth
have you seen vancouvers house prices lately? they are dropping worse then here.

Leaky condo fiasco? etc.

Fiasco? LOL those were mainly condos built in the era after the expo...early mid 90's etc....it's hardly a "fiasco" just something you need to verify now when buying...like, does it come with a fridge.

7thgenvic
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM

I have a B. Comm in addition to being a level 3 CFA candidate. I looked into the CA a few years back and decided the CFA was better suited for me.

I think it realllly depends on what you want to do in the finance industry. I started out as a research associate which meant CFA was required and if you go toward that route then your money! I-banking route I wouldn't say you necessarily need CFA but I think you have a good opportunity to get what you want.

Have you checked out the postings on CFA society lately?

Sailz
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Re-read your texts because you sure as hell don't in this market.

Read some history texts...History has shown that times like this are consistently the best opportunities for the building of wealth. This isnt another real estate thread if you want to discuss that, there are numerous threads. This is about the finance industry in Calgary versus Vancouver.

Thanks

Sailz
03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

I think it realllly depends on what you want to do in the finance industry. I started out as a research associate which meant CFA was required and if you go toward that route then your money! I-banking route I wouldn't say you necessarily need CFA but I think you have a good opportunity to get what you want.

Have you checked out the postings on CFA society lately?

I have but I just wanted to get some perspectives from people on the front lines...currently I want a career in I-Banking but as we all know the path to our ultimate career is usually not a straight one.

Auditor
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Calgary will definitely hold more opportunities in the finance field than Vancouver.

7thgenvic
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM

I have but I just wanted to get some perspectives from people on the front lines...currently I want a career in I-Banking but as we all know the path to our ultimately career is usually not a straight one.

I can personally say...GOOD LUCK with the big firms and finding a I-banking job. During hiring season most banks set up interviews and didn't hire a single person. Most summer analyst positions were nearly impossible to land and those that did usually had 2-3 years of experience and top notch marks, along with other things. I would say look into smaller firms or look into taking whatever at this point. Even being completely optimistic over the next year won't help in lieu of the Calgary market. Most large companies put hiring freezes on all positions.

When I was first looking for a job I felt overqualified for some Junior positions. I would say concentrate on finishing level 3 and sell yourself on that boat, but without experience your still stuck looking for jobs that experienced grads could land.

Celica TVS3
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
-I work as an oil & gas research associate in Calgary. I would say if you're looking to get into investment banking / equity research, Calgary is a way better choice. Sales and trading jobs are nearly non existent in either Calgary or Vancouver.

-If you're in this business and live in Vancouver, you're morning conference call will be at 4:30 am.

-Calgary's investment banks are oil/gas focused.
Vancouver is primarly mining.

-Calgary has far more investment banks and investment firms than Van.

Nusc
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I would advise that you go to Calgary, Vancouver is more competitive. Besides, there are better paying companies here in Calgary.

But lifestyle is important to you than I suggest Vancouver.

Sadboy
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey,
I'm from Calgary but have been in Vancouver for two years now.
Other than Toronto, its Calgary for finance related jobs.

Competition out here is stiff. But as a previous poster mentioned, the lifestyle is awesome.

What is your previous work experience?

ZorroAMG
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Read some history texts...History has shown that times like this are consistently the best opportunities for the building of wealth. This isnt another real estate thread if you want to discuss that, there are numerous threads. This is about the finance industry in Calgary versus Vancouver.

Thanks

:facepalm: whatever....good luck with your decision, you seem to have all the answers lol

narou
03-25-2009, 11:00 PM
fcuk Vancouver dude stay hear and help bust this recession.

Sadboy
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
lol

BigShow
03-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

-If you're in this business and live in Vancouver, you're morning conference call will be at 4:30 am.

Good point :barf: