PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2009 Australian Grand Prix Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

rage2
03-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Australian Grand Prix Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/Circuit_Albert_Park.svg/200px-Circuit_Albert_Park.svg.png
Laps: 58
Circuit length: 5.303 kilometre (3.295 mi)
Race length: 307.574 km (191.110 mi)
2008 Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 1h 34m 50.616s (194.577 km/h)
2008 Pole Sitter: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:26.714
2008 Fastest Lap: Heikki Kovalainen - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:27.418

TV Schedule (Mountain Time)
Free Practice 2 - March 26 11:30pm (Speed)
Qualifying - March 28 12:00am (Speed, TSN)
Pre-Race - March 28 11:30pm (Speed)
Race - March 29 12:00am (Speed, TSN)

After 5 long months of winter testing, Formula One is back! 2009 brings a huge number of rule changes for the cars (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251894/red-bull-racing-video-2008-vs-2009-regulations/), and with the new rules, it looks like there's going to be a huge shift in performance of the teams. Top teams such as McLaren is expected to struggle as a backmarker, and teams that barely made it on the field, Honda, now Brawn GP, topped the timesheets of almost every session they participated in. Every team started with a blank sheet of paper, with their own interpretation of the rules, which made performance completely unpredictable.

As with every Formula 1 season, this weekend brings a nice dose of controversy. 3 teams, Brawn GP, Toyota, and Williams are expected to be protested by the remaining 7 teams. These 3 teams used a loophole in the regulations to build a diffuser extension using the space from the crash structure, thus increasing the amount of exiting airflow, creating more downforce. It is said that there's a 10% overall downforce improvement from this loophole alone, good for 0.5s per lap. Most likely, the 3 teams will race under appeal, which means we won't know the official results until months after the weekend is over.

There's also rumors that one of the teams will be protesting Ferrari on their KERS system. Apparently, it's retribution for the diffuser protest, and is more political than technical. We'll know more tomorrow morning.

Defending Champion Lewis Hamilton will have a tough road ahead of him this weekend. It is said that the McLaren is suffering from a lack of downforce... as much as 20% and over a second a lap slower than the top group. McLaren has made in various press release statements that they expect to be eliminated from the first qualifying session, which means they will not qualify better than 16th. This is a huge blow for the newly crowned champion in the start of his title defense. On the bright side, critics of Hamilton will see how well he does in an underperforming car, so hopefully he'll be able to silence some of those critics.

The big news is the jaw dropping performance of Brawn GP. Honda, which pulled out of F1 in late 2008, was sold to Ross Brawn, and gave him $100m to run the team for this year. Because Honda dedicated their resources in the 2009 contender early on, their leadtime in CFD and wind tunnel research resulted in a car that's nearly a second faster than the 2nd place car (most likely BMW or Ferrari). All this WITHOUT having KERS in their car. Their aerodynamics is so strong that with a switch to Mercedes power (which would've definately upset chassis balance as it was designed for a Honda motor) they topped the timesheets almost everyday by over a second. In comparison, they were nearly 2 seconds a lap faster than McLaren with the same engine. Will Button finally be able to win races, or will Rubens be able to show the winning performance from his Ferrari days?

Ferrari and BMW has been doing well in winter tests too, and it's expected that they'll be the teams right behind Brawn GP, but Ferrari has been plagued by reliability gremlins over the winter so I don't think they'll do too well at the opener. BMW has been fast and consistent, they should be the 2nd best team on the field.

The rest of the teams? A big question mark. There's really not enough data from winter tests to really gauge how well everyone is doing since we have no idea what program they're testing. What we do know is that McLaren and Force India were the slowest teams. Williams, Toyota, Renault, Red Bull, Torro Rosso sit right in the middle. We'll know more after the first day of free practices. Who knows... maybe Williams, who clocked the fastest Jerez test time in the last day might be ahead of Brawn GP.

If you're looking for a place to watch the F1 race live with a few of us beyonders, shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the mailing list. I'm hosting the first race at my place, it'll be a great way to start off the season.

Go McLaren!

DJ Lazy
03-26-2009, 01:23 AM
w00t... I'm stoked! :clap:

fast95pony
03-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Any word yet on which teams are using KERS ??

Go Hammy ! :burnout:

Dave P
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
GOOOO ANYONE BUT FERRARI AND BOURGAY!!!!!

rage2
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
OK, news roundup for this morning.

The "diffuser 3" made it past scrutineering, and passed. BMW, Ferrari, Renault, and RBR filed an official protest. BMW's was tossed out because they didn't get the paperwork in on time lol. McLaren went in for scrutineering, and rumor has it that they showed off a double decker solution as well and will be running it this weekend. There's no risk for them, Hamilton has said that he will realistically qualify 15th, way out of the points. So if they do get some speed with the diffuser and score a few points, just maybe they'll be able to keep them if it's ruled legal.

The "diffuser 3" (well maybe 4 if McLaren indeed will be running one) will be racing under appeal. Which means that we won't really know the results of this weekend till months afterwards. It could end up being completely legal (decision stands), or team loses constructor points for the race (most likely if appeals find it illegal), or both team and driver loses points (highly unlikely). This will be the case for the next 2 races as well, since it's unlikely that the appeal will be heard till the F1 circus heads back to Europe.

That's my interpretation of things happening so far. Here's another:

At 15:40 (local time) Jo Bauer declared that all the cars are in compliance with the regulations. At 19:10 the FIA confirmed that Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull had lodged a complaint about the diffusors of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams. Well a complaint, the protesting teams keep calling it a request for clarification of the regulations...

BMW Sauber wanted to protest as well but their complaint was rejected because it was formulated in an imprecise way. The FIA said: ''The complaint was insufficient, there were no specific objections in it.'' Before BMW Sauber was able to try again the two hour deadline was over. McLaren decided not to complain, they feel they first have to solve the problems of their own car.

But they do have an opinion, Whitmarsh: ''At the moment unfortunately I can't tell the aerodynamicists in which direction they should develop. We need regulations that are the same and consistent for everyone.''

''Now the FIA quickly has to make a decision as to who will have to modify the car, the majority or the minority.''

The FIA will make sure that the protesting teams won't figure out how the diffusers work they're complaining against. Whiting: ''In cases like that we always keep an eye on teams not getting to know anything (technical) from other teams.''

Ecclestone declared that with this row the unity of the FOTA is in danger but Theissen denies: ''We continue to act in concert as far as the future of Formula 1 is concerned. The diffuser argument is something very much of today. It's part of the competition.''

If the diffusers are deemed illegal then the teams will be using it in any case. Brawn: ''Even if the appeal goes against us at a later stage, no one will be able to take away our points. We have to be able to rely on what the stewards tell us. At the moment, for us they're the final authority.''

Otherwise (the worst case scenario) Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams will have to be modifying their diffusers overnight. Michael: ''That would certainly have a big influence on our laptimes, because it would only be a provisionary action.''

Horner on the difficulty of copying the concept: ''It's not so easy to copy this diffuser. That costs a pretty penny because big modification measure are necessary for that.''

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
FP TONIGHT!!!
Go Honda!!

DJ Lazy
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
FP TONIGHT!!!
Go Honda!!

Who? ........ Oh, BrawnGP.. :rofl:

ryanallan
03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Just listing to BBC radio 1 here, and they played an advertisement for the GP.

Holy sh*t am I pumped for this weekend !

go red :burnout: :burnout:

iceburns288
03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Is FP1 televised anywhere I can get it? Or am I stuck with the timing boards...

1 hour!

redline
03-26-2009, 06:38 PM
^^^ should be on speed

iceburns288
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Only second practice is on Speed.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
you can usually find a stream online. I've watched a couple FP1s online, but usually not in english, so you'll have to do without the commentary.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
33 minutes left in FP1.
Rubens P1!

Eleanor
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
So McLaren didn't protest and the rumour now is that they changed their diffuser design to mimic Toyota/Williams/Brawn? But they didn't get protested? :nut:

Do the protests actually name teams in question? Or just a general rule clarification?

In other words, if the diffusers are deemed illegal, will McLaren have to change theirs as well? Or will the other teams have to lodge a separate complaint?

Anyway, GO FERRARI! :D

Mibz
03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
So McLaren didn't protest and the rumour now is that they changed their diffuser design to mimic Toyota/Williams/Brawn? But they didn't get protested? :nut:

Do the protests actually name teams in question? Or just a general rule clarification?

In other words, if the diffusers are deemed illegal, will McLaren have to change theirs as well? Or will the other teams have to lodge a separate complaint?

Anyway, GO FERRARI! :D As far as I know they ask for rule clarification citing examples of differing interpretations using specific teams. If the diffusers were deemed illegal then any and all teams would have to comply, not just the teams that were specifically named.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
End of FP1

Rosberg 1:26:287
Nakajima +0.049
Raikkonen +0.063
Barrichello +0.539
Kovalainen +0.766
Button +0.780
Massa +0.955
Glock +1.023
Sutil +1.306
Alonso +1.436
Heidfeld +1.450
Trulli +1.455
Kubica +1.824
Fisichella +1.916
Buemi +2.098
Hamilton +2.355
Webber +2.394
Piquet +2.774
Bourdais +2.812
Vettel +6.097

Looks like Hammy's in a bit of trouble. Maybe Kovy's using their new diffuser and Hamilton isn't? Kovy up on Hamilton 6/10s in S1, even S2, then 9/10s in S3. I don't think Hamilton's running a different practice sim than Kovy, otherwise his sector 2 would've been way off too. I'm pretty sure they're running different setups since sector 1 and sector 3 is where the biggest differences are throughout the field, and sector 2 is where all the times are closest.

Mibz
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks like Toyota's diffuser can't make up for the rest of the package. I'm surprised to see Kimi that high and Trulli that low.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty surprised at Toyota's lack of pace too, but I'm not surprised at Ferrari's pace. I thought Toyota would be pretty quick, but we'll have to see. This is just practice. BMW was slow all year last year in practice. If these times show real pace (which I'm sure they don't), then I'm willing to bet the diffuser won't be banned.

iceburns288
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Kovaleinen is very quick. What's up with Hamilton?

Mibz
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know how to interpret this, but Hamilton was only 1 tenth behind the pace in S2 and less than 1 second behind in S1 but 1.5 seconds off in S3.

S3 has the majority of high-G turns which, I assume, would point to a lack of downforce in the McLaren car, which makes sense. Kovi's laps follow the same trend, they're just faster. I wonder if Kovi is just more comfortable with the car at this point.

Eleanor
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
Kovaleinen is very quick. What's up with Hamilton? :werd: Wouldn't've expected Kov to be higher than Hamilton.

Looks pretty good for Ferrari, both drivers are in the top group without the "cheater" diffuser.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
For what its worth, Kimi and Sutil were the only ones on softs in FP1.
And like I said in my earlier post, Hamilton has the same sector 2 time as Kovy, its sector 1 and sector 3 where Kovy blows Hamilton out of the water. You can't really compare Hamilton's time to Rosberg's since they're completely different cars, but I suspect the two are running different setups. Or maybe Kovy's using KERS and Hamilton isn't.

And this is friday practice. We can draw as many conclusions from practice than we can from testing. You also have to keep in mind there's only 8 engines to go around this year, and to push them on friday is just stupid.

Eleanor
03-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I was just reading that both Williams cars were only using the harder tires today.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

rage2
03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Kovy and Hamilton running 2 completely different setups for back to back comparisons.

I never thought Toyota would be in the top group. I am, however, surprised at Williams being so far up there. Of course, it's just FP, doesn't mean much yet, everyone on diff programs.

15 mins to go for FP2!!!!

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Remember Williams last year leading up to Australia? I'm still not a believer.
As for Toyota... I love saying I told you so :poosie:

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:31 PM
HERE WE GO!
Wow the cars look awkward and boxy

rage2
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
HERE WE GO!
Wow the cars look awkward and boxy
Ya, first time really seeing it on TV, it looks kinda stupid haha.

btw - Williams time from this morning is faster than pole last year. These cars are gonna be faster than last year!

rage2
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Alonso spin! I didn't look like he got very sideways... lack of rear DF means the rear may be a bitch and a half to catch when it gets sideways.

Wow, it's so awesome seeing slicks again from the in-car!

DJ Lazy
03-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Yea, these cars look fatter than the pictures we've been looking at...

Excited to watch his... :D

EDIT: The McLaren car still looks great though. :drool:

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
hm, Rosberg sandbagging? What's Williams up to?

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Button P1. Still early.
the Brawn car looks so much more stable than last year's car. All last year it looked like Rubens and Jenson were fighting the car, but the short in car we saw looks so much smoother already.

DJ Lazy
03-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Is Brawn gonna stick with this Bright White/Yellow combo? Looks pretty crazy

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Virgin announced as Brawn sponsor, so I'm guessing they'll have different colors for the next race.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:48 PM
That toyota is disgusting looking from the front.

rage2
03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
The Toyota's picking up speed tho. Hamilton looks fucking ragged in the McLaren. Having problems holding that rear end together, which is costing him lots of time.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I was just going to say, Hamilton looks like he's fighting the car a bit too. WTF Trulli 9/10ths up and purple in S1 now?

FI is just as ugly as Toyota. Its that long bridge. :barf:
I don't know if I'll get used to this year's car from the front.

DJ Lazy
03-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Those Force India's aren't exactly much to look at either.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow Button giving feedback instead of just bitching about the car. That's a change from last year.

rage2
03-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Glock +0.002 from this mornings time. Maybe I spoke too soon about Toyota.

edit - just destroyed this morning's time.

H4LFY2nR
03-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like the skinny rear wings are significantly more sensitive to vehicle slip angles and everyone is struggling with oversteer. I won't be surprised to see everyone run shark fin engine covers soon....

DJ Lazy
Man, the Mclarens look twitchy... ugh!

rage2
Peter windsor talking about the brakes again. Carbon Industries, hitco. LOL nothings changed haha.

buh_buh
03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Diffuser guys all quick.

:rofl: I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the brakes when I heard it

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:00 AM
26.1 for rosberg. Jesus fucking christ.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Peter windsor talking about the brakes again. Carbon Industries, hitco. LOL nothings changed haha.

:rofl: ... Gonna miss the ITV guys!

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Diffuser guys all quick.
10% additional downforce will do that haha.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
the brawn looks so smooth.
God damn.

OK right when I say that Rubens goes off.

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Is Brawn gonna stick with this Bright White/Yellow combo? Looks pretty crazy

I love the fluorescent wheels :thumbsup:

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:06 AM
That's Rubens for ya haha. Even when he went off, it was "smooth" lol. The slicks seems to clean up pretty quick after an off.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:06 AM
too bad we can't tell whose on which tire with the in car anymore. They need a marking on the inside sidewall so we can see from the in car.

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
too bad we can't tell whose on which tire with the in car anymore. They need a marking on the inside sidewall so we can see from the in car.
They need to show it on live timing.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:08 AM
.... "only 18000rpm".... Most people probably can't even hear the difference, I don't know if I could.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
You can probably hear it live. Not on TV though.
No speakers can do these cars' sounds justice.

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
26 flat for Rosberg. My predictions are way off hahaha.

buh_buh's right, audio is completely different live. You can tell each engine's distinct sound. On TV they all sound kinda the same.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
when did Rosberg reset fast lap? Almost dipping into the 1:25s.
Top 5 cars diffuser cars.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
26 flat for Rosberg. My predictions are way off hahaha.

buh_buh's right, audio is completely different live. You can tell each engine's distinct sound. On TV they all sound kinda the same.

Yea, I need to get my ass to a live race.. haha..

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
when did Rosberg reset fast lap? Almost dipping into the 1:25s.
Top 5 cars diffuser cars.
A few mins ago.

Top 6 cars are diffuser cars haha.

Kubica is NOT happy with the car. Jesus.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:16 AM
nice move Rosberg. Its only practice. No need to pull out all the stops.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
WTF Kimi P16 now after a strong morning session?

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Is it just me, or is the beyond page size SUPER widescreen?? It's normal on all other websites...

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Is it just me, or is the beyond page size SUPER widescreen?? It's normal on all other websites...

I'm getting that too. There's no reply button either

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Seems like something wacky is going on with IE8. Works fine with IE6 for me on my work computer.

What browsers are you guys using?

btw - Webber 4th. No diffuser haha.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:22 AM
WTF Kimi P16 now after a strong morning session?

Massa isn't in the points either really.. :D

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm fine. I'm not on IE8.

So far, McLaren the slowest of the MB powered cars.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Seems like something wacky is going on with IE8. Works fine with IE6 for me on my work computer.

Firefox 3.0.7

Works fine with Safari.... Strange.. just started 10-15mins ago...

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:24 AM

btw - Webber 4th. No diffuser haha.

firefox

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I'll let kenny know.

What's up with Vettel??? Clearly a driving error getting on the grass.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
I'll let kenny know.

What's up with Vettel??? Clearly a driving error getting on the grass.

Couple guys have hit the grass there.... Seems to catch them out every year.. wonder if those shadows fuck with how the edge of the track looks..

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Have they mentioned why rebull is running a rear pull rod setup? CG wise it's good, but do they have a different diffuser layout than the rest?

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:32 AM
John Rich looks like the worst album in history

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
John Rich looks like the worst album in history

:rofl: was thinking the exact same thing.

buh_buh
RB has the standard diffuser. They were one of the teams that protested.

H4LFY2nR
sutil passed raikkonen!?

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Force India taking down both Ferraris??!?! WTF?!?!?

Man, the pecking order is completely upside down this year. I figured Ferrari would be midpack, but not this bad.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't know if Webber's actually that quick. I suspect he's running low fuel to put on a show for the fans.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
+4.5 for Hamilton??? My god......

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Sutil passing Raikkonen isn't that far fetched.

nRJwZu5Qqio

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:38 AM
RB has the standard diffuser. They were one of the teams that protested.

Yeah but a pull rod lowers the cg significantly, loads the pull rod in tension rather than compression, and reduces the loads on the heavily loaded lower a-arms. So unless it won't package with the diffuser I would assume other teams would be running them too

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Hamilton P16 on softs :rofl:
Welcome to my 2007 and 2008

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
+4.5 for Hamilton??? My god......
He said realistically he'll qualify 15th. He's sitting 16th right now. Sounds about right.

I can't believe Force India is faster than McLaren with the same motor.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
:rofl: the car is undrivable because its a Force India

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
:rofl: the car is undrivable because its a Force India
Still running better than the Ferraris haha.

I hope McLaren can press that KERS button and make up for it a bit in qualifying. Or maybe that P16 is already KERS assisted...

Fuck... another painful year.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Sweet... Mclaren has #1 for Top Speed... :rofl:

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Haha did those top trap speeds include any of the top running teams?

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't think anyone's using KERS right now. But that's just a hunch.
I think some teams are still sandbagging.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:46 AM
top TS and slow times = no DF
Makes sense then that none of those top teams (diffuser teams) have a high TS.

edit: Rubens and Nakajima up there

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I think some teams are still sandbagging.

Mclaren??? :D

rage2
03-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Live timing shows MASSA with the higher trap speed. I guess when you don't have downforce, you have a lot less drag too haha.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
:rofl: not McLaren. You guys will finally know what it feels like to cheer for a backmarker!! I suspect Ferrari has more speed than dead last, same with BMW. BMW is never quick in practice. On the other hand, Toyota is always quick in practice, and so is Renault. I guess that means the Renault is slow as ass.

rage2
top TS and slow times = no DF
Makes sense then that none of those top teams (diffuser teams) have a high TS.

edit: Rubens and Nakajima up there
The diffuser creates downforce with very low drag.

buh_buh
holy shit nice save Massa

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:50 AM
LMAO... damn, Massa almost puts it in the wall...

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Its too bad that Brawn got a sponsor. The car looks sweet with no sponsors right now.

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Virgin decal won't be too bad... but it does look pretty badass as is.

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I expected more out of piquet jr. His father is probably not pleased lol

his car is out right?

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
That diffuser montage was sweet! Great to see the differences.

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
RUUUUUBENS with a late afternoon quick one after these guys talking about track temps dropping

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
RUUUUUBENS with a late afternoon quick one after these guys talking about track temps dropping

WOOO Brawn!

DJ Lazy
03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm gonna have to switch my pool picks I think... The top 8 looks completely wrong..

buh_buh
03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Everyone in the top 8 has double digit numbers except Trulli whose #9 :rofl: