PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - reset defaults

Zero102
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I am wondering if anybody knows a way to reset the desktop settings to their defaults. It's been a long-ass time since I've had to do this on XP and I don't see any obvious way to fix it. She is very very bad with computers, and I just spent 2 days re-installing her computer with a fresh windows XP install (And all of her applications) and I had to leave it with her while the final updates ran. At the end her video driver install fucked up and the screen resolution got set way too low. Since she couldn't see anything she just randomly clicked stuff for a while without fixing it, and when I came over today she seems to have messed up all of the desktop settings.

What I mean is that the window title bars, font sizes icon text sizes and such are all messed, but it goes beyond just the desktop, in all programs the icons and title bars are crazy big. I tried a new user account and the problems persist there. I started setting the values back but I don't remember what the right ones are and the big text and icons still persist in all of her apps (like in office, the bottom bar with the "+" and "-" slider and stuff is about 30 pixels tall, its stupid.

I used to have a script that would reset all of the UI settings to their defaults but it seems I lost track of it a very long time ago. Does anybody know a quick way to set everything back? I really don't want to go back over there and re-install everything again. I was going to image it when we were done but I had to go while the drivers were installing and stupidly assumed it would be fine until I got back :(

Zero102
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
27 views, no suggestions? :(

Tarrantula
04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
You should be able to fix almost everything in your appearance setting in the desktop properties..

change it to Windows XP Style. Pick font and colour :dunno:

Zero102
04-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Done that already, still all the toolbars and buttons in other applications are screwed. Things installed before/after the issue started are both affected.

01RedDX
04-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Zero102
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
^^^^

Originally posted by Zero102
I tried a new user account and the problems persist there.

Tried it already. Still no luck on this one, I'm almost to the point of re-installing which is total bullshit. In Linux I could just toss the X/KDE/Gnome profile and everything would be fine... maybe I can get her to use a Redhat distro? :(

There has got to be a way to fix this.

Tarrantula
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Have you tried a system restore? That would be the last resort really.

FreakinPrince
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
just restore it back to factory if you can..

Zero102
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Tried system restore already. I think this has to be some window / default settings in the registry. Once upon a time I knew of a script that would reset all of them but I lost it a couple of years ago, I was hoping somebody else had it kicking around :(