PDA

View Full Version : Watch For "Google Earth" Vehicles Filming In Your Area

im2fst4u
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
This seems pretty cool and I think it will help people see the world who otherwise might not have the chance!

Here come all the "Big Brother" comments!

Google Earth Coming To Your Neighborhood! (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/03/26/tech-090326-google-street-view.html)

TorqueDog
03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
If you should see one of these vans outside your home, quickly press your ass to your front window. Leave your mark on Google StreetView!

Xtrema
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
Here come all the "Big Brother" comments!

They blur faces and license plate now. So it isn't as big brotherish.

But the fact that google own so much privacy data just seems wrong.

nonlinear
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
i wonder what the vans look like?

Kloubek
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I was wondering why this service wasn't available here. Now I know! What an incredible service though - to actually see what the street view looks like. Quite amazing when you think about it...

Xtrema: Do you really think it's THAT invasive of privacy? I mean, it's not like these guys are setting up a 360 degree camera in your living room - it's just taking 1 shot of what ANYONE could have seen if they were on the street at that particular point in time. No big deal to me, personally...

What do the vans look like? Something like this:

http://weblogfor.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/tn_google_van.jpg

Xtrema
03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Xtrema: Do you really think it's THAT invasive of privacy? I mean, it's not like these guys are setting up a 360 degree camera in your living room - it's just taking 1 shot of what ANYONE could have seen if they were on the street at that particular point in time. No big deal to me, personally...

That is always the argument.

The fact that "ANYONE" has gone from hundreds to possible billions. And 1 in a billion will think of something to do with that information. I don't know what but somebody will.

May be it's a stalker planning something in the comfort of his home. May be it's a Nigerian prince want to plan some sort of next level scam base on target's home address and picture of it. Who knows? It's just information needlessly given/taken away.

Bumjubeo
03-27-2009, 06:24 AM
I am so ready to make an ass of myself so I can look at it on street view.

benyl
03-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The fact that "ANYONE" has gone from hundreds to possible billions. And 1 in a billion will think of something to do with that information. I don't know what but somebody will.

May be it's a stalker planning something in the comfort of his home. May be it's a Nigerian prince want to plan some sort of next level scam base on target's home address and picture of it. Who knows? It's just information needlessly given/taken away.

I suggest you sell everything and go live in the woods.

They are taking photographs in public places. If you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public.

freshprince1
03-27-2009, 09:10 AM

They blur faces and license plate now. So it isn't as big brotherish.

But the fact that google own so much privacy data just seems wrong.

Google is slowly outpacing even Walmart at taking over the world.

szw
03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Google is slowly outpacing even Walmart at taking over the world.

Can't wait for the Goomart conglomerate.

2002civic
03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I think this is pretty cool actually.

im2fst4u
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
f0y-q-pI2pQ

em2ab
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Saw these in New York. They're just black vehicles and I don't think all of them are vans. I think they use ForTwo or something similar as well.

im2fst4u
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
:dunno: :dunno: screwed this post! Computer locked up!

n1zm0
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIDGyRO6w2o&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIDGyRO6w2o&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>

lol ^ extreme youtube posting fail, here :D :

sIDGyRO6w2o

they should send a truck/van down redmile if it gets crazy

im2fst4u
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

lol ^ extreme youtube posting fail, here :D :

sIDGyRO6w2o

they should send a truck/van down redmile if it gets crazy

Ya thanks!!!! My system locked up and couldn't get back in to change!

403Gemini
03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I was wondering why this service wasn't available here. Now I know! What an incredible service though - to actually see what the street view looks like. Quite amazing when you think about it...

What do the vans look like? Something like this:

http://weblogfor.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/tn_google_van.jpg

So what if that is a time where you had an itch on your nose and you scratch it, but from their angle it looks like you're picking it - you are now immortalized!!! ;) Actually it isnt that bad if they're bluring out faces hahaha

lilmira
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
They should do streetview at night. Then we can count hookers on 3rd ave.

sexualbanana
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
They should do streetview at night. Then we can count hookers on 3rd ave.

911fever
03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
that's actually pretty cool.

CUG
03-28-2009, 02:38 AM

May be it's a stalker planning something in the comfort of his home. May be it's a Nigerian prince want to plan some sort of next level scam base on target's home address and picture of it. Who knows? It's just information needlessly given/taken away. I'm with you on that completely.

Kloubek
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I'm with you on that completely.

I'm not. Is it possible that someone will find a way to use the information for malicious means? Of course. That is the risk we run for living in a free country. You can't limit technology and resources just because SOMEBODY might find an alternate use for it. I mean, personal stuff nobody would have a legitimate use for like SIN numbers and stuff, sure. But a simple picture of a street? Come on.

In your world, perhaps we shouldn't have telephone books? Computers and the internet that can lookup how to make bombs? Pointed objects like picket fences and forks? Cars, planes and other vehicles? Hell - why not just go back to the ice ages. As long as we can rid the world of pointy icicles somehow...

Seriously. You're buying into the fear mongering generated by the US and the media. Next thing you know, you'll be hiding in your basement in fear that the mailman might see your distorted face through the frosted glass of your front door....

sputnik
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM

It's a wonder you are still able to go out in public with your level of paranoia.

Someone might see you buying Kraft Dinner and use that information to plot an evil scheme against you!

OH NOEZ!

ZenOps
03-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I wonder how many marijuanna plants they are going to capture growing at the sides of the road in urban BC.

atgilchrist
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I wonder how many marijuanna plants they are going to capture growing at the sides of the road in urban BC.

Nah, you have to go to the Hills behind Shushwap Lake for that.

scat19
03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Why do people soupe up their cars? To stand out.

Why do girls get dressed up? To get noticed.

When you're out and about, you WILL get looked at! What happens if they had a photographic memory and drew it on paper at a later time? Oh noes!!!