PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Moats pulled over for running a red light while mother is dying

Dehvee
03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Traffic cop denies Texans running back last visit with dying mother-in-law Posted: March 26, 2009, 1:50 PM by Noah Love Football, NFL Controversy has erupted in the Dallas police department after a Houston Texans running back was denied a chance to see his mother-in-law before she died due to a traffic stop. Ryan Moats was speeding to the hospital on March 17 when he was stopped in the parking lot by officer Robert Powell. Despite the pleas of both Moats' wife, Tamishia, and hospital nurses, Powell held Moats up for 20 minutes while he searched for insurance. Tamishia's mother died while Moats argued with the officer. "I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats told Dallas/Fort Worth radio station WFAA. The police department has apologized to Moats, dropped his speeding ticket and launched an internal investigation into Powell's actions (click here to see the exchange between the officer and the running back).

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/03/26/traffic-cop-denies-texans-running-back-last-visit-with-dying-mother-in-law.aspx

Videos on youtube
Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Q49VztpLI)
Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjg2EhNLY0&feature=related)

Talk about a power trip :guns: :guns: :facepalm:

KRyn
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Ugh that is horrible, what a piece of fucking shit cop. I understand he is trying to do his job but give the guy a break.

eglove
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
fucking terrible. i was expecting them to be pulled over at the side of a road. not the fucking hospital. who the fuck would make up that excuse in the PARKING lot.

what a bad, bad, bad call on the cops part. i hope he can't sleep at night.

heartbreaking

edit: wow, watching the videos *shakes head* fuck.

officer: "i can screw you over" wow, :facepalm:

403ep3
03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Fuck that shit. I wouldn't have stopped and ran to away from the cop into the hospital. I'd rather be arrested then miss my mothers death.

rizfarmer
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
So what is the protocol for police when they are pursuing someone who will not stop and the person is clearly on their way to the hospital for an emergency?

I know this is not a license to break the traffic laws but it was kind of a matter of life and death...

GQBalla
03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
i would have ignored the cop and ran to go see my mom if that happened...stupid cop i can't believe that i hope the cop feels real bad

afrotl
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i would have ignored the cop and ran to go see my mom if that happened...stupid cop i can't believe that i hope the cop feels real bad
Yeah but these cops on a power trip will probably pull a gun and shoot him and claim he was resisting arrest.

max_boost
03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Simply stunning. There's going to be a lot of controversy over this one! :drama:

The actions of the officer are inexcusable.

Rocky
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
A very sad story and a very big blemish on the police. They forget their roles as public servants. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of white cop - black guy, being Texas and all.

"The police department has apologized to Moats, dropped his speeding ticket and launched an internal investigation into Powell's actions (click here to see the exchange between the officer and the running back). "
^ gee thanks guys, that makes it a lot better.

Disgusting.

Wildcat
03-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
A very sad story and a very big blemish on the police. They forget their roles as public servants. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of white cop - black guy, being Texas and all.

That's exactly what it is. Racism in Texas is something else, I'm not stereotyping that's simply the way things are down there. My old man went golfing in Houston and asked to walk the course with a caddy service vs. taking a cart, the people said; "Sure, we'll find you a nice old nigger sir. No problem." :eek:

GQBalla
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by afrotl

very true

Yeah but these cops on a power trip will probably pull a gun and shoot him and claim he was resisting arrest.

id rather get shot trying to see my dying mom than getting hasseled while not seeing trying to see my dying mom

rumeo
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

id rather get shot trying to see my dying mom than getting hasseled while not seeing trying to see my dying mom

Yeah fuck it I would have kept going and completely ignored the cop.

mowglee
03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
that is disgusting. effing disgusting of the police for acting that way. "I can take you to jail for running a red light...I can screw you over...I can make your life very difficult" wtf is that pile of crap

Rat Fink
03-27-2009, 06:02 PM

freakin
03-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

That's exactly what it is. Racism in Texas is something else, I'm not stereotyping that's simply the way things are down there. My old man went golfing in Houston and asked to walk the course with a caddy service vs. taking a cart, the people said; "Sure, we'll find you a nice old nigger sir. No problem." :eek:

Did your old man continue on with the game, or tell them to get fucked and leave? Ignoring that sort of shit is just as bad and saying it.

rizfarmer
03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I was in a truckstop in Amarillo, Texas when a driver came in (from Ontario) wearing a Turban. I could understand him perfectly and his accent wasn't that strong. He needed a scale ticket so he could go weigh his truck. He waited in line and asked the lady behind the counter for the ticket and before he even got 2 words in he was interrupted by the bitch. She said "look sir, I can't even understand what the hell you are saying so go somewhere else"

He waited in a second line for the other till and the other cashier told him to go to another truckstop. Another person in the line added to the ignorance saying "better yet, why don't you just go to another country".

They are open in their stupitidy and ignorance down here, that's for sure. I'm stuck in Amarillo right now because of blizzard conditions. If this was Canada the roads would still be open...they really aren't THAT bad....but since these cocksuckers are so fucking stupid down here they have to close every major road because they'd all go and kill themselves.

that is sad to hear they are so ignorant down there. What's worse is that kind of hatred cannot be unlearned due to the stupidity

topmade
03-27-2009, 09:14 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow. I'll take it for granted that cops hear a lot of BS stories, but when the damned hospital staff come out and confirm that his mother-in-law is almost gone, he still takes his sweet ass time and still trying to talk like a tough guy.

D'z Nutz
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
According to this article, said officer also had another questionable pursuit earlier in the year:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

Powell also faces investigation for comments he made to another officer after the incident ended – while the video camera was still rolling. He said he "worded" a report in such a way as to justify a January police chase.

"It appears, what he said, to have been contrary to our pursuit policy," Kunkle said, "to where he may have lied about the circumstances under which the pursuit began."

The chief said any one of the charges could lead to dismissal.

He makes reference to the January car chase in the Part 2 video at 7:25.

Aniki
03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/03-09/0327robertpowell.jpg

fucking racist douche

D911
03-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Aniki
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/03-09/0327robertpowell.jpg

fucking racist douche

he even fucking looks like your typical highschool dropout.

im2fst4u
03-28-2009, 06:30 AM
The line that sticks in my head is this, at 4:20 in video 2:

"hey listen that's the nurse, she says the mamma is dying right now, she was wondering if we can get him up there right now? Alllllright....I'mmm almost done" says Powell!

The other officer conveys the seriousness to Powell from the words of the nurse and this power hungry wannabe hero cop has the power to say he's almost done?

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

pinoyhero
03-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Awesome power trip, what an idiot. Its tough though cops are so underpaid that what you end up getting at times are folks like this who think they're BOSS

VWEvo
03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Very sad, I hope there are consequences for that cop. I highly doubt it, he'll probably be suspended WITH pay for a couple of days.

Rocky
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

that is sad to hear they are so ignorant down there. What's worse is that kind of hatred cannot be unlearned due to the stupidity
QFT

Genjuro
03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
he's at it again (before)...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=532653

how does this motherfucker still have a job? better yet, how is he still breathing?

signature7
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Is Texas really that bad? I had no idea, I've never been ever. I've heard there's a lot of viets in Houston and bigger cities, are they as bad?

Ajay
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks like this douche bag finally realized how much of a douche bag he is.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=273397