PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour '09

Eleanor
03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Calgary was viewed as a real dim bulb after last year's Earth Hour event because our power consumption actually went up by 3.6 per cent.

We were the only city in Canada to use more power in the hour devoted to people worldwide showing they care about climate change by shutting off lights and non-essential appliances.

"It was terribly embarrassing," said Judi Vandenbrink.

Saturday is Earth Hour and a chance to improve our record, said Vandenbrink, executive director of EcoLiving Events, who is organizing a candle-light event at the Calgary Area Outdoor Council building on Memorial Drive N. W. to mark the occasion.

It's thought several circumstances conspired to produce the poor showing in Calgary on March 29, 2008. Organizers got off to a late start in planning the event locally. It wasn't dark by 8 p. m. The Calgary Flames were playing the Edmonton Oilers at the Saddledome, vying for a playoff spot in a game that started at 8 p. m. And a sudden cold snap that evening switched on furnaces across the city.

"Special events (like a hockey game)and the weather do affect the electricity consumption, and those can be larger effects than people voluntarily participating in an event like Earth Hour," said Warren Frost, vice-president of operations and reliability for Alberta Electric System Operator, the non-profit entity responsible for the planning and operation of the province's power grid.

Still, Maclean's magazine skewered the city's Earth Hour efforts a few days later in a story titled "Calgary pigs out during Earth Hour," saying our efforts "did little to counter Calgary's reputation as an energy glutton."

The article pointed out that Edmontonians endured even colder weather than Calgarians that night, watched the same hockey game (which the Oilers won) and still managed to reduce their power consumption by 1.5 per cent.

This year, Earth Hour organizers are starting the lights-out event at 8:30 p.m.,rather than 8 p.m. Saturday's weather forecast is for seasonal normals, with a high of 7 C and a low of -7 C.

Yes, there's another Flames game Saturday at 8 p.m., but that shouldn't stop Calgarians from doing their part, said Vandenbrink, who suggested people gather together to watch it.

"We're not saying should people freezeinthe dark.Shutoffthelightsand watch the game by candlelight."

The idea behind Earth Hour is to send a global message that citizens care enough about global warming to take action.It began in Sydney, Australia, in 2007 when two million homes and businesses switched off lights and appliances for 60 minutes.

Last year, an estimated 50 million people around the world participated in the initiative organized by the WWF, one of the world's largest conservation organizations. Earth Hour 2009 hopes to involve more than one billion participants. (To be included in the count, register at earthhour.org.)There have been reports Earth Hour can cause destabilizing surges to the electricity grid as everyone powers down and then powers up again.

"We don't have any concerns regarding the Earth Hour event," said Frost. "We monitored it quite closely last year and will continue to monitor the participation. It's not something that we're terribly concerned about here in Alberta."

The day before Earth Hour is an ideal time to take a snapshot of the city's overall power use.

According to Doris Kaufmann, a media relations adviser with Enmax Corp., the city's power use has soared over the past five years. In 2004 Enmax delivered just over 8,000 GWh to its customers. By the end of 2008, that had risen to 17,785 GWh. Even though our population grew by 11.7 per cent in that period, it doesn't account for the 122 per cent increase in electricity use.

"It's hard to measure exactly where that increase came from," said Kaufmann. "It may reflect the booming economy and increased demands from the industrial and commercial sectors."

Of Enmax's 649,000 metered customers, large commercial and industrial users draw 49 per cent of the power use in the city. Residences account for 30 per cent, while small and medium-size businesses use 20 per cent. Street lights sip one per cent. http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sports/Earth+Hour+test+Calgary+sustainability/1433278/story.html

3g4u
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Lets see if we can get our power consumption to 5% higher this year!

Fucking tree hugging stay at home mom bitch hippies.

TKRIS
03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/cec/CECimages/SuperTokenPlain.jpg

realazy
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
What does the couple percent actually mean? Generators generate the base load no matter how much electricity is consumed.

If the drop in consumption isn't enough for them to turn off/slow down the peak load generators then it's useless.

I doubt that many cities would "store" the electricity that is not consumed, because it's probably more cost efficient to just waste it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Not this shit again.

blitz
03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
One hour a year really shows peoples commitment.

I'm going to turn on every light in the house and run the dryer for the full hour.

Eleanor
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Don't forget to crank the heat and blast the A/C ;)

I'm also planning on having a disco dance party and having strobe lights all over the house :D

Fuck you David Suzuki.

Gainsbarre
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by realazy
What does the couple percent actually mean? Generators generate the base load no matter how much electricity is consumed.

If the drop in consumption isn't enough for them to turn off/slow down the peak load generators then it's useless.

I doubt that many cities would "store" the electricity that is not consumed, because it's probably more cost efficient to just waste it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

For any given day, electricity consumption in Alberta generally peaks from 6 to 10pm. Alberta typically does not have enough baseload (i.e. coal plants) to meet all demand during these peak hours, which necessitates the usage of higher priced natural gas units (or imports) which are far more flexible in their operation.

You can't really store electricity unless you're talking about a hydroelectric facility that has a reservoir / dam to store water. Pretty much all of Alberta's ancient hydro fleet is of the run-of-river variety, meaning they can't store much water.

atgilchrist
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Fucking useless waste of time. "Yay, Edmonton cut their usage by 1.5% for a whole hour!" It just annoys me so much because many people seem to think that turning off 1/2 their lights and using candlelight ( a hideously-inefficient means of heat/light) for an hour is going to "change the world".

whiskas
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm ready

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8006/picturee.png (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picturee.png)

and I think I'll put some chicken in the oven while the laundry is going.

benyl
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I am going to use my oven to heat my house while I use the vent function on my furnace to blow the heat out of the bathroom fans...

R154
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
all the plasma's in my house, all the computers. Plug in the block heaters. run all my space heaters. ac blasting. and get around to welding those brackets I needed.

:D

Schwa
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I know theres a lot of sarcasm in this thread and yeah, this thing is basically an empty gesture.

If people would just change to CF bulbs it'd save more energy than this BS.

ThatRx7Guy
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
what a load a crap this global warming is.. They only have had the last few hundred years to base climate change on.. Given that over time there have been numerous drastic climate fluctuations.

HiTempguy1
03-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Schwa
I know theres a lot of sarcasm in this thread and yeah, this thing is basically an empty gesture.

After their original bulbs burnt out. Replacing bulbs just to replace them increases overall waste a lot more!

And I HATE fluorescent bulbs. Make me feel like I am in a cubicle.

canuckcarguy
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM

I'd prefer not to don a haz-mat suit just because I broke a light bulb. Plus, they look like crap, they last about 1/4 as long as they're supposed to, and you can't use a dimmer switch.

I love how people will burn candles instead of bulbs to fight global warming. Yep, that'll work. No greenhouse gases from candles, apparently...

Schwa
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

I'd prefer not to don a haz-mat suit just because I broke a light bulb. Plus, they look like crap, they last about 1/4 as long as they're supposed to, and you can't use a dimmer switch.

I love how people will burn candles instead of bulbs to fight global warming. Yep, that'll work. No greenhouse gases from candles, apparently...

That's perfectly fine. The CFs I use have the same color temperature as normal incandescent bulbs. They're not like the long tube ones.

Also, imo, it's the unwillingness to compromise on these small things which is why there is so much waste.

How important is the dimmer switch in your life?

TKRIS
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I use CF bulbs in every light and lamp in my house that will accept one.
I also tend to use smaller, conveniently place, lamps as oppose to regular room lights. I don't leave my lights on, nor do I just let electronics run continuously when not in use.

But I'm the asshole because I'm not going to huddle around a candle for 1 hour every year.

mac70135
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna turn on all my lights on Saturday thnen :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
To quote Fat Mike:

It's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over
spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer?

kerry
03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll definitely be playing my guitar as loud as possible while all 4 TVs have their home theatre's blasting at +10db. Fuck Earth Hour.

Beerking
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I would run all my eletrical's and what not, but then again Im a cheap ass and would rather not face the bill at the end of the month.:nut:

JRSC00LUDE
03-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kerry
I'll definitely be playing my guitar as loud as possible while all 4 TVs have their home theatre's blasting at +10db. Fuck Earth Hour.

You're nothing more than a soulless enviro-whore.

Shogged
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

And I HATE fluorescent bulbs. Make me feel like I am in a cubicle.

you're buying the wrong ones! you can get them so they have the same slightly orange glow as regular light bulbs now, and all kinds of different varieties. The cold harsh bright white is a thing of the past =)

ipeefreely
03-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Beerking
I would run all my eletrical's and what not, but then again Im a cheap ass and would rather not face the bill at the end of the month.:nut:

haha Me too! :nut:

HiTempguy1
03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Shogged

you're buying the wrong ones! you can get them so they have the same slightly orange glow as regular light bulbs now, and all kinds of different varieties. The cold harsh bright white is a thing of the past =)

F*&K me, welcome to the 21st century eh? I guess I'd know if I had actually bought a light bulb in the past 2 odd years.

Tonight, I'm thinking rockband on the plasma (that thing is something crazy, a couple hundred watts anyways) with the stereo cranked.

Schwa
03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Tonight I will do nothing different because I just don't give a shit.

schocker
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Tonight I will do nothing different because I just don't give a shit.
Well what about tomorrow, Eath Hour 2009 :rofl:

Jay911
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Outstanding, I see that a lot of people are thinking the same way I am, or at least similarly. I plan to use as much energy as possible just to piss off all the "global warming" alarmists. Anyone who thinks that humanity has anything more than a marginal, negligible impact on this rock is way overestimating things.

Spoons
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Here at residence at U of C we got a old junker for a car, and if you bring a bunch of recycling shit you can get a few swings at the car.

Fuck if I get to bash a car for a bit, I guess I'll recycle or something...

Amysicle
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

I love how people will burn candles instead of bulbs to fight global warming. Yep, that'll work. No greenhouse gases from candles, apparently... :werd: My biggest piss off with CFB was that out of a package of seven, four of them managed to burn out within the first two weeks. The things were fucking expensive and do not last anywhere near as long as they said they would. What a huge waste of money.

colt22
03-28-2009, 08:36 PM
wooo earth hour commence!
I turned all my shit off, whatever..i'm bored

badatusrnames
03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Depending upon where you live, burning candles instead of having the lights on emits more CO2.

http://features.csmonitor.com/environment/2009/03/27/does-lighting-candles-for-earth-hour-defeat-the-purpose/
http://www.stubbornmule.net/2009/03/burning-candles/

CUG
03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
To quote Fat Mike:

It's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over
spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer? Followers following fables. Good tune, just listened to it.

kertejud2
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Followers following fables. Good tune, just listened to it.

And here I thought you were a Conservative.

CMW403
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
When are the results up for this years Earth hour?

ghust
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM
we dropped about 1%

http://www.theenergycollective.com/TheEnergyCollective/37391

5000Audi
03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
ok ive got a question about this Earth hour...

Isnt hydro plants the ones that produce our power? so how would turing off the lights change anything with the climate change? since its water thats turing the turbines to produce the power?

so can someone fill me in on this one?

wouldent it be more suitable to turn off the heat or not drive your car for that hour?

atgilchrist
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
ok ive got a question about this Earth hour...

Isnt hydro plants the ones that produce our power? so how would turing off the lights change anything with the climate change? since its water thats turing the turbines to produce the power?

so can someone fill me in on this one?

wouldent it be more suitable to turn off the heat or not drive your car for that hour?

Nearly all of Alberta's power generation is from coal and natural gas. There is a few run-of-the-river hydroelectric plants, but that don't contribute too much.

It's BC and Quebec that are the Hydroelectric beasts.

masoncgy
03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ghust
we dropped about 1%

Apparently not good enough for local hot shots like Ald. Brian Pincott, who was kind enough to express his disappointment in his fellow citizens.

Lame.

5000Audi
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Nearly all of Alberta's power generation is from coal and natural gas. There is a few run-of-the-river hydroelectric plants, but that don't contribute too much.

It's BC and Quebec that are the Hydroelectric beasts.

oh ok thanks for the info!!!

Rocky
03-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Well it might have went down 1% this year, but really that's a 4.6% improvement from last year, which I think is pretty legit. Edmonton had about a 4% improvement on their 2008 total, so if anything, Calgary's made bigger strides than Oilersville.

People forget that the Earth Hour symbolizes a little respect for being environmentally friendly and less wasteful. I get a little agitated by the morons who go "1 hur doesnt do nethin lulz" because they're missing the point completely.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ghust
we dropped about 1%

http://www.theenergycollective.com/TheEnergyCollective/37391

I'd say that 1% is within normal deviation and thus, a win for Calgary. I was hoping for another increase but I'll take what I can get.

Originally posted by Rocky

People forget that the Earth Hour symbolizes a little respect for being environmentally friendly and less wasteful. I get a little agitated by the morons who go "1 hur doesnt do nethin lulz" because they're missing the point completely.

Right, I'd completely forgotten how much awareness and respect help the environment.

Oh, wait. They don't. They are meaningless, empty phrases used for people who turn their lights off for an hour and think they've saved the goddamn whales.

masoncgy
03-30-2009, 04:14 PM
^ No doubt.

Why Earth 'Hour'...?

Shouldn't we conserve 'all of the time'?

I already keep lights off, use CF bulbs, low-energy appliances, wash in cold water, etc, etc, etc.... not because I need to feel good about doing something for the environment, but because I don't like a huge energy bill for no reason... you don't get rich writing a bunch of checks.

Xtrema
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ No doubt.

Why Earth 'Hour'...?

Shouldn't we conserve 'all of the time'?

It's just some work of self important hippies so they will be happy to have their under the desk space heater blowing all year long.

Rocky
03-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Oh, wait. They don't. They are meaningless, empty phrases used for people who turn their lights off for an hour and think they've saved the goddamn whales. Exactly. But if you can go out of your way to do something positive for an hour, then just as easily you can...
keep lights off, use CF bulbs, low-energy appliances, wash in cold water, etc, etc, etc...That's what the whole thing is about. Demonstrating that the right mindset and an hour of ANY day can make a difference, even if only slight. And if a whole bunch of people make a slight difference, it adds up. The Earth Hour itself is meaningless; the message does carry some weight though.

3g4u
03-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u

Fucking tree hugging stay at home mom bitch hippies.

revelations
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM
OK so its Earth Hour time again.... everyone turn on your lights at 8pm :rofl:

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Eleanor
03-27-2010, 06:01 PM
We might be welding :D

Wrinkly
03-27-2010, 06:17 PM
lol - will be out at dinner, and much as I'd like to join you, I will turn things off in the interest of safety and having a home to come back to, if that's ok with you ;)

Jeremiah
03-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Operation Oven, 2 TVs, 2 Xboxes, PS3, Wii, 2 PVRS, Stereo, Speakers, DVD Player, Washing Machine, Dryer, charging 4 different type of electronics and all lights on in 50 minutes lulz

v2kai
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Operation Oven, 2 TVs, 2 Xboxes, PS3, Wii, 2 PVRS, Stereo, Speakers, DVD Player, Washing Machine, Dryer, charging 4 different type of electronics and all lights on in 50 minutes lulz

if you were really dedicated you would have drained your car battery and hooked up a charger with your headlights on and all accessories:thumbsup: but a good start definitely:rofl:

masoncgy
03-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Tonight's 8:30 to 9:30 festivities include:

- Shirt crisping in the microwave a la Cosmo Kramer.
- Christmas light party with full ceramic top range element accents
- Dryer lottery
- Late evening spot welding...

...and last but not least: "Who Can Vacuum the Most Crannies?"

:thumbsup:

swak
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Well there's a concert at the saddledo$e at 'earth hour'
UFC on tv...

I hope that spikes it good enough on its own!

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 08:24 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ Plus a Vancouver Canucks game on right now

My house is absolutely buzzing with the sheer amount of electrical equipment all working together... my little disk thingy in the meter reader is whipping around so fast I can't even see it anymore!

Yours too? :D

colt22
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow look at cool you guys are, way to stick it to system bad boys!!!

If you're not going to participate then simply go on acting normally. I fail to see the point of turning on all your shit.. besides running up your bill of course..

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 08:44 PM

97'Scort
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm almost willing to put money on Victoria shutting down completely for an hour...

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by colt22
Wow look at cool you guys are, way to stick it to system bad boys!!!

If you're not going to participate then simply go on acting normally. I fail to see the point of turning on all your shit.. besides running up your bill of course..

It's Earth Hour, shouldn't you have your computer, modem, and router turned off? You're killing the Earth, you know.

Antonito
03-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Rebels Without a Clue

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
Rebels Without a Clue

:rofl: :rofl: Are we really going to debate about the pointlessness of Earth Hour all over again?

Canmorite
03-27-2010, 08:59 PM
My neighbours have their Christmas lights on :rofl:

Jeremiah
03-27-2010, 09:01 PM
lulz at rebels without a clue comment.

one hour one day of the year will really save the earth!

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 09:02 PM

swak
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Just came home from work, and all my lights are off!!! WWTFFZZZ?!??!

Fixed that one quickly.

.. Don't forget to run all your hot water out so your hot water heaters get a chance to reheat water and participate.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by swak

.. Don't forget to run all your hot water out so your hot water heaters get a chance to reheat water and participate.

Mine's gas. :(

whew, glad that is over.

It was so bright and loud from all the stereo's it was driving me a bit crazy, not to mention my house is over 27 degrees now from all the portable heaters, oven and bulbs on at the same time!!

ahhhh another Earth hour success story! :rofl:

Say, doesn't it go till 9:30? Since it's not, you know, Earth Half Hour. ;)

Antonito
03-27-2010, 09:08 PM

:rofl: :rofl: Are we really going to debate about the pointlessness of Earth Hour all over again?

"Raising awareness about the environment and sending a message is pointless and stupid"

*posts on Beyond about doing the opposite to send a message to hippies*

Oh the irony

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2010, 09:11 PM

"Raising awareness about the environment and sending a message is pointless and stupid"

*posts on Beyond about doing the opposite to send a message to hippies*

Oh the irony

I'm trying to send a message to hippies? Shit, news to me.

Irony fail.

J.M.
03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
lulz

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Antonito
03-27-2010, 09:15 PM
^It's hilarious, just not for the reasons you think. It's like watching the special olympics

I'm trying to send a message to hippies? Shit, news to me.

Irony fail. So then you're doing this for no reason? That's bizarre.

masoncgy
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
If people don't make efforts to conserve, well, they pay for it in the end anyway.

I don't see the point in participating in this silly 'feel good' gesture... because that's all it is.

I conserve every single day, because I don't like paying for shit I don't need/want/use. Even as we speak there is only one single 13w CFL lamp turned on in my house. Wow, I must be a real horrible person because I avoid the hype and I just so happen to practice this event 365 days a year.

That's why I think it's hilarious when people power up in protest, because the idea that turning off your lights for one hour a year makes a difference is absolutely retarded.

swak
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Mine too...
But does 'Earth Hour' only relate to electricity?

maxomilll
03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
beyond is an angry place.

Sugarphreak
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM

kertejud2
03-28-2010, 08:03 AM
http://vodpod.com/watch/668325-fuck-the-earth-day

nismodrifter
03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2
http://vodpod.com/watch/668325-fuck-the-earth-day

LAWLZ!

dirtsniffer
03-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I absolutely love the smell of my own farts

wow, i didnt even have to look at your location to figure out where your from

Antonito
03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

wow, i didnt even have to look at your location to figure out where your from Haha you think I'm an environmentalist. Not really, I just have to facepalm at how dumb a lot of you are.

RAHR FUCKING HIPPIES, I'LL SHOW THEM :whipped:

baygirl
03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
According to the Calgary Herald(I have no idea how to post a link) energy consumption fell 1/2 of a percent!

dirtsniffer
03-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Haha you think I'm an environmentalist. Not really, I just have to facepalm at how dumb a lot of you are.

RAHR FUCKING HIPPIES, I'LL SHOW THEM :whipped:
haha ya, I cant really argue with that, the beyond wagon can be a pretty retarded thing

Sugarphreak
03-28-2010, 11:07 AM

Tik-Tok
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM

You're thinking too small... think of all the electricity required to extract and process natural gas. It may only be a small amount per household, but every tiny bit helps!

Antonito
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
haha, your a hippie now! lol
That should be you're :poosie:

swak
03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
According to the Calgary Herald(I have no idea how to post a link) energy consumption fell 1/2 of a percent!

Next year, Beyond.....
Next year.

Sugarphreak
03-28-2010, 04:19 PM