PDA

View Full Version : Science students at U of C help me out plz..

Gabru Shakeen
03-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I am friends with a grade 12 student and he needs some help with course registration.

Can someone give me a rundown of what courses typical first year science students take?

It has been a while since I graduated and I am not sure if the course numbers have changed etc.

His ultimate goal is applying to medicine so intro bio/phys/chem courses are the main focus here (they are the first year pre-req's).

I know when I was there like 6-7 years ago I took chem 201/203, math 251/253, biosomething/something, and phys 221/223, and then 2 random grade booster courses to fill up the schedule. This was known as natural science program back then. Probably around 6-7 years ago. Is this still the case?

I just want to help my friend out because I'm sure everyone can understand the transition from HS-> Uni requires alot of planning and he's kind of nervous about making sure he is registered in the right courses.

I'd call the undergrad advising office but it's closed right now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Wraith
03-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Fall
BIOL 231 or BIOL 233
MATH 249/253?
PHYS 211/221
CHEM 201
A non-science

Winter
BIOL 231 or BIOL 233
MATH 211
PHYS 223
CHEM 203
A non-science

Your friend should go to the UofC and grab a calendar, I just listed off those off by memory.

Ebon
03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Wraiths list looks about right and its MATH521 if you've taken calculus in highschool.

badatusrnames
03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/2008/what/fac/SC/v._program_details.htm

Gabru Shakeen
03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Course list looks exactly like it was 7-8 years ago when I was there. I remember math249 was if you didn't take Calc in high school while 251 was for those who have some background in it.

Thank you guys very much. Sorry if the question was noobish, I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I meet with him tomorrow. Not sure if he's already looked this info up on his own.

Thx Wraith for the list and badatusrnames for the link. That is exactly what I need.

:thumbsup:

Nusc
03-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
Fall
BIOL 231 or BIOL 233
MATH 249/253?
PHYS 211/221
CHEM 201
A non-science

Winter
BIOL 231 or BIOL 233
MATH 211
PHYS 223
CHEM 203
A non-science

Your friend should go to the UofC and grab a calendar, I just listed off those off by memory.

If you're doing premed that is the way to go except instead of MATH 211, take MATH 253/MATH263 - Integral Calculus.
If you're not good at English, then you should take first year English as your non-science options. In particular, one in critical reading and writing or whatever they have at this useless university. If not and if you plan on going to medical school at the U of C, then write the effective writing exam. If elsewhere, say UBC, then take first year English.

R154
03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
There is no such thing as premed in canada.

dandia89
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by R154
There is no such thing as premed in canada.
i hate when idiots are like 'yeah im doing premed right now' and its just a bachelor of science

msommers
03-28-2009, 06:06 PM
A bachelor in health sciences is as close to 'pre-med' as it gets. For your friend, I'd say first year bio sci:

Chem 201
Math 249/251 (depends if they got 70% in math 31)
Phys 211/221 (depends if you have taken phys 30)
Bio 231
Option

Chem 203
Phys 223
Math 253
Bio 233
Option

Pretty basic for first/second year until you start picking concentrations.

Ebon
03-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Too bad the BHSC fails hard at Calgary. I'm in it right now and i'm getting out asap. If you want a decent one hit up UWaterloo.

Gabru Shakeen
03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Msommers: Thx for that note about getting 70% in Math 31. I was wondering what determined whether you could take 249/251.

Agreed that anyone talking about being in "pre-med" is an idiot.

I remember BHSC being something that alot of my high school classmates regretted. They thought because it supposedly has something to do with "health science" it would help their chances in med. Little did they know that any med school could give less of shit about it and that it was harder than the regular courses they could have enrolled in.

Thx again guys. Talked with my friend today about it and cleared everything up so now he knows exactly what he will be taking and what to expect.

msommers
03-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Health Sciences isn't all bad, at least not for a few friends of mine. Getting creditable references seemed extremely easy for them for their applications.

Ebon
03-28-2009, 09:51 PM
References shouldn't be too hard to come by if the rest of you application is solid (ie. extra curricular). Although the references are med/research focused, its not worth more than a reference from someone you've been working for. Seems to me that they are really just prelim. character tests before your interview.

However, if you want to be a med researcher/Phd if the field. They are great from your grad school app. and you get to meet/work with a lot of industry leaders.

chkolny541
03-29-2009, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gabru Shakeen

I remember BHSC being something that alot of my high school classmates regretted. They thought because it supposedly has something to do with "health science" it would help their chances in med. Little did they know that any med school could give less of shit about it and that it was harder than the regular courses they could have enrolled in.

[/QUOTE

o yea, i went into biomedical science or something or other for 1 semester then immediatly switched out, it was such an aweful program

livinlarge89
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by msommers
A bachelor in health sciences is as close to 'pre-med' as it gets. For your friend, I'd say first year bio sci:

Chem 201
Math 249/251 (depends if they got 70% in math 31)
Phys 211/221 (depends if you have taken phys 30)
Bio 231
Option

Chem 203
Phys 223
Math 253
Bio 233
Option

Pretty basic for first/second year until you start picking concentrations.

Yeah that's pretty much what first year would look like, to pretty much get all the prereqs out of the way. I'm in Biosci right now and after talking to quite a few people (professors, the councilors, etc.) the general consensus is that to go to a professional school, like med school, vet, dental, law, or to get an MBA its pretty much making sure you have the prereqs and meet GPA requirements. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to switch out of biosci (biochemistry) to take natural science instead, won't affect my applications other than most likely having a significantly higher gpa because of so many options in the last couple of years, but it also gives you enough options to take a minor (5 full course equivalents) or even a double major, which would take a 5th year because it requires 25 FCE to get 2 majors from different faculties.

As stated before, since there is no "pre med" and applications are based on GPA, there isn't really any sense taking a more difficult degree path with no more actual job opportunities upon graduation.

Nusc
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Why drop out of biochemistry and switch to natural science?

I always had the impression that natural science was one of those useless degree programs where you take freely science courses just to get a degree - I'm not even sure what a BSc in health sciences is, it's not very popular amongst other universities.

Biochemistry would be better off in my opninion. In case you decide not to do medicine, you would have a better background for pharmacy and could go in that at U of A or UBC or pursue graduate studies in that field elsewhere.

Ebon
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Get a degree your interested in. Plain and simple. Helps get you a good gpa, doesn't make the 4 years feel like hell. It's even better if you can use it as a backup plan incase you dont get in.

A lot of med schools in Canada don't have a science requirement like the USA (although getting into a school in the USA is easier). Same goes for Law and MBA. No idea about the others.

Most of the reasoning behind getting a science degree is that you'll be prepared for the MCAT. If that's the case you might not be studying hard enough for the exam. Some students i know that got accepted studied 2-3 hours a day, up to 4-5 when it got close for 3-4 months for that test. The consensus was that the material wasn't hard (basic physics,essay, basic biology, and mid level chemistry(think 300 level ochem/bchem) not exactly material you need a degree in sciences to do. It was the length of the test.

livinlarge89
03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I completely agree that on it's own, biochemistry is very likely the better degree, but I know that for me personally it would almost guarantee not getting into med school because I can't really imagine getting a high enough GPA with the schedule I would have. If I have no intention to just stop at my bachelor degree and have little interest in trying for a masters in biology, I don't see why I wouldn't take an easier program, which would do nothing but help my chances of getting into any professional school, Law, Med, MBA, etc. At the very least I will hopefully enjoy my next few years a bit more, and have the chance to get a minor in something which again would only help my chances of getting into a professional school.

So, my personal opinion to the OP is to just recommend a science related degree that his friend would enjoy while achieving well and doing all of his required prereqs.

NA2R
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
Too bad the BHSC fails hard at Calgary. I'm in it right now and i'm getting out asap. If you want a decent one hit up UWaterloo.

Waterloo? Har Har Har

I am at Waterloo right now, and let me tell you something: it is just as poopy as any other "biomed" programs out there.

Face it. Our kind are worth a dime a dozen; they cannot care less about our welfare.

Nusc
03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
What makes you think by taking an easy degree will help you out in the long run? In the end, you will be doing the same material in medical school, if not harder, no?

If you want to go into Law, try philosophy, physics or mathematics. As they would help you with the LSAT.

Or you could always try engineering.

It seems to me that you're not really sure what you want to do because you're unsure whether you can get into medical school.

Have you thought about pharmacy?

livinlarge89
03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
It's more that I wont realistically get a 3.8 in my last 2 years, which happens to be the average of the people that got in in the past couple years. I'll be going into 3rd year and I know very well what I want to do. Since those programs are all blind GPAs it's illogical to stay in biochemistry knowing that it would cut my chances. That being said I might stay in the program, because obviously on its own it's a more solid degree lol. I've talked to several people, including professors in the biology department and people in charge of applications for all of the programs i would be interested in taking after undergrad and the general response is what I have communicated before, I was just offering advice based on what I've been told by people experienced in the matter.

chkolny541
03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Nusc
Why drop out of biochemistry and switch to natural science?

I always had the impression that natural science was one of those useless degree programs where you take freely science courses just to get a degree - I'm not even sure what a BSc in health sciences is, it's not very popular amongst other universities.

Biochemistry would be better off in my opninion. In case you decide not to do medicine, you would have a better background for pharmacy and could go in that at U of A or UBC or pursue graduate studies in that field elsewhere.

what degree are you in

5$ says engg

Nusc
03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Why did I offend you?

dandia89
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
he's just bitter because he knows you're right

Nusc
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Are you only thinking of applying to U of C med school?

What about U of A and UBC? They are probably more competitive.

Have you thought about pharmacy?

You could always write the MCAT and do well in it, if not then switching programs won't change the fact that you will be successful in the long run if your destined to get into medicine.

I know a few people who have repeatedly tried to get in and managed to do so. Although these people are dumb, the idea here is to never give up.

I'd only recommend switching out of it unless you truly hate biochemistry not because you want a high GPA. After all, it may turn out you may do poorly in other courses outside your intended major.

I wasn't even aware that this university had an undergraduate program in biochemistry, just biology and chemistry separately or are you referring to a combined honours?

Should you decide to switch to natural sciences, then you should take some courses in programming. But I would recommend not doing a general science degree, one reason is that it resembles a liberal arts degree.

The only circumstance of doing a natural science degree is if your finished most of your program and you want to graduate early in pursuit of something else (perhaps a change in career).

I'm not sure how it works in AB but in BC, I think premed is just the first two years of biochemistry (at UBC) which I thought was to be sufficient for you to write the MCAT and if you failed it or whatever, then you continue in that path to obtain the BSc and/or continue writing the MCAT until you pass.