PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run this morning. Ugh.

Tripen
03-28-2009, 11:03 AM
So it snowed a little last night.

I live in a little neighbourhood, at the top of a mini T- intersection. Apparently some car was taking a turn at an unsafe speed, and they collided into the rear door of my sedan. Thankfully, my next-door neighbour was out and saw it happen. Apparently the car just backed up and drove away. He tried to chase it for us, but they were gone by the time he backed his car out. Never had this happen before, but figure it can't hurt asking here. I'm sure some people here can relate to waking up only to find damage done to your car.

(This part is according to my next door neighbour who witnessed it happen)

*It happened earlier this morning. Haven't asked neighbour about the exact time yet, but will next chance I get to talk to him.
*Offending car: A red car with a spoiler.
*Toyota or Honda, license plate something along the lines of CAE-xxx (he wasn't too sure about this though)
*I think I've seen the car quite a few times, so we're pretty sure they live in our neighbourhood. Gonna take a walk later today, maybe ask some neighbours if they know where the car normally parks and who owns it.
*The damage is on the rear driver side door.
*If anything, the offending car would have scratches (My car is silver) on the front passenger side somewhere near the headlights.

I'll see if I can post pics of the damage done in a little bit.

Does anyone have any tips on how this should be handled? This sucks. :(

Many thanks in advance~

theken
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
When you find the car leave a note. Like I know what you did last snowfall or something. Then creep him for a while and murder him and all of his friends and family

nadroj23
03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by theken
When you find the car leave a note. Like I know what you did last snowfall or something. Then creep him for a while and murder him and all of his friends and family

lol wtf

Barking_Spidre
03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I know it's saturday, but go to the police asap to fill out an accident report. If you don't find the guy, you can claim it under your insurance as "vandalism" and won't raise your premium at all. But you have to get your claim in ASAP. I took too long to put my claim in (3 days instead of the 48 hour max, i was told after) and I had to pay my deductible.

Tripen
03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by theken
I know what you did last snowfall or something.

:D I'll write it in ketchup.

5000Audi
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
possible to tell us what community? maybe someone might spot the car if we know where to look

Tripen
03-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre
I know it's saturday, but go to the police asap to fill out an accident report. If you don't find the guy, you can claim it under your insurance as "vandalism" and won't raise your premium at all. But you have to get your claim in ASAP. I took too long to put my claim in (3 days instead of the 48 hour max, i was told after) and I had to pay my deductible.

Oh really? Wow wish I knew this when someone keyed swears into my car a few years back. :whipped: Figured going thru insurance would've made premiums rise. I guess it just SEEMS like everything that happens to your car will make premiums go up.

My dad's going out to get a sticker for the car right now I think.

Tripen
03-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
possible to tell us what community? maybe someone might spot the car if we know where to look

Definitely. It was in Radisson heights, which is near Marlborough, Forest Lawn.

Neighbour also said it may have been a nissan, still unsure.

Maybe this snow is all my fault, I went for a car wash yesterday. :banghead:

syritis
03-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I went though this a couple weeks ago, call the non emergency calgary police services. they'll send a cruiser to have a look are your car, give u the damage ticket. and do their best to try and find the person. give them anythign to work with and sometimes it works.

Their seems to be a lot of this going on lately, maybe something to do with the number of Ignorant irresponsible F^@k heads that now live in our city.

bebe07
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
The same thing just happened to me yesterday. I was parked on 6th ST SW & some a#$ backed into my car. There was a witness & he actually got the plate number. I went to the police station after work & after they made a few calls I was told "this guy does not want to be found" apparantly all his phone numbers were disconnected. They said they would keep trying. I'm wondering what they can do once they actually find him, I mean how do they enforce him paying the bill?
Either way I will look into this "vandalism" claim through my insurance company.

Stealth22
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bebe07
I'm wondering what they can do once they actually find him, I mean how do they enforce him paying the bill?
Uh, if the police find the guy, he'll be arrested for hit and run...

Zhariak
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
The same thing just happened to me yesterday. I was parked on 6th ST SW & some a#$ backed into my car. There was a witness & he actually got the plate number. I went to the police station after work & after they made a few calls I was told "this guy does not want to be found" apparantly all his phone numbers were disconnected. They said they would keep trying. I'm wondering what they can do once they actually find him, I mean how do they enforce him paying the bill?
Either way I will look into this "vandalism" claim through my insurance company.

I've actually heard of this happening to. Police cannot contact the person, and they wont release information based off the plate number. So the person ends up having to pay the damage themselfs, its retarded.... I didn't think this could happen.

leec001
04-02-2009, 08:41 AM

I got the same thing before. Once you file the police report with the license plate number, the police will find him and get the insurance policy number. You can go to the most expensive bodyshop in town for repair. :bigpimp: