PDA

View Full Version : Co-op Group Interview?

3G
10-17-2003, 08:34 PM
I went and dropped my resume and application off at Co-op earlier, and they gave me a paper to go to a "group interview" on wednesday. Does anyone know what it is and what do they do there? Anybody do it before? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks

LudeRoca
10-17-2003, 08:44 PM
yea man i had to go to that. Basically there is about 10-15 people. Depending on how many they need to hire. There is one person that does a bunch of bullshit talking. They look to c who is attentive. So they ask the group questions try to give whatever answers you can. It takes like an hour and you gotta fill out some crap. Thats about it man. Hope this helps.

3G
10-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
yea man i had to go to that. Basically there is about 10-15 people. Depending on how many they need to hire. There is one person that does a bunch of bullshit talking. They look to c who is attentive. So they ask the group questions try to give whatever answers you can. It takes like an hour and you gotta fill out some crap. Thats about it man. Hope this helps.

alright thanks man

EG STyLeZ
10-18-2003, 01:05 AM
yep, it's so boring, but you get paid for it if i remember...

kaput
10-18-2003, 01:28 AM

Davetronz
10-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Bah, I went to one about 2 years ago and it was a complete waste of time.
I had 3 years of grocery store experience as a produce asst. manager. They decided that I would be best suited for the "gas bar" so I told em off and left.

Shaolin
10-18-2003, 01:45 AM
yep, welcome to Union bullshit.. the CEO of like CP Rail would have to start from the bottom... that's why all the lifers that's been there for 25 years will get a good job before an experienced employee. I applied for an accounting position there, met all the requirements, graduate next year.. but nope, I haven't been there long enough, so therefore i'm shit out of luck.. whatever.. I'll buy that fucking place and fire everyone of them in the future..

kaput
10-18-2003, 10:55 AM

Shaolin
10-18-2003, 11:20 AM
The people I work with is alright, heck, most of the people that work in my store is pretty nice, cept for some of the lifers there that have this ego trip that they're better than you because they have higher senority or because they're "manager".. they wouldn't be a manager anywhere else because they have no other skills and the only reason they got there was because they put in 20+ years.

If you work at Co-Op, go do like a year in there, and find a real job, unless you enjoy working there, then work there till you graduate and then leave. Put that in the resume, it'll show commitment, customer service, and that you have interpersonal skills.. basically milk that store dry and ditch it.. You won't get any respect if you're a young person there, because the old and bitter lifers there isn't going to respect the people that are there to work till they get a better career in the future. Just a heads up.

I've spent 3 years there, and that's too much, I'm hoping my interview tuesday goes well.. I finally found a job as a jr accountant.

3G
10-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys..I got hired as a Service Clerk :D :clap:

Shaolin
10-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Which store number? or Store for that matter?

3G
10-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
Which store number? or Store for that matter?

Monterey

Shaolin
10-26-2003, 02:20 PM
cool, have fun.. you'll hate that specific job pretty quick.. since it's the worst paying job in the whole store. The whole system is based on senority (you probably know that already), but once you're in, you'll be able to apply for different positions, but if you just started, you'll only get a new position basically if no one applies for it. Anyways, best of luck, try to get into Produce or Photofinishing, Produce pays very well and the you only bust your ass when the order gets there. Photofinishing you basically don't have to do a dam thing.

Grocery is good pay, but your weekends are pretty much shot, and you don't get off until 10:30pm on saturdays. If you work the morning shifts you'll start at like 4am or 5am, so either way, they fuck you on the weekends in Grocery.

Best of luck.. I leave Co-Op after 3 years and you're just starting.. :D

3G
10-26-2003, 03:51 PM
cool, have fun.. you'll hate that specific job pretty quick.. since it's the worst paying job in the whole store. The whole system is based on senority (you probably know that already), but once you're in, you'll be able to apply for different positions, but if you just started, you'll only get a new position basically if no one applies for it. Anyways, best of luck, try to get into Produce or Photofinishing, Produce pays very well and the you only bust your ass when the order gets there. Photofinishing you basically don't have to do a dam thing.

Grocery is good pay, but your weekends are pretty much shot, and you don't get off until 10:30pm on saturdays. If you work the morning shifts you'll start at like 4am or 5am, so either way, they fuck you on the weekends in Grocery.

Best of luck.. I leave Co-Op after 3 years and you're just starting.. :D

lol 7.33 aint bad ;)

Shaolin
10-26-2003, 03:57 PM
It's not bad to start for sure.. just don't be a lifer and be stuck there for life... It's a good job to start if you have no experience in your field of study because it pays reasonably well. A friend of mine is making top wage as a Meat Wrapper over at #8 (Richmond Road Co-Op).. He's making almost 20 bucks an hour, and once he graduates he will have no where to go. One reason being he's an English Major, and another reason is, who's going to pay some English Major 20 bucks an hour to do a job in that field? I told him he might as well try and become a bestselling writer :D He could teach, but seeing how the education system is working here in Calgary, I'm quite pessimistic about that idea.

What you want to do (if you decide to stay at Co-Op for a couple of years) once you get out of being a service clerk, is to stay in that position as long as you can unless you absolutely hate it.. because once you switch departments, your hours to a raise gets reset (Next wage level every 1000 hours).

^SkylinE^
10-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Hey the money is good after a few years but it sucks, I worked there for like a month.......they treate you like dirt. Everyone always slacked off and is seemed like i was the only one ever doing any work? I really hated it there so i quite. I love my new job and quiteing at CO op what the best thing i could have done!
But hey if you like it go for it.

Shaolin
10-26-2003, 05:17 PM
yep, next weekend is my last weekend at Co-Op.. If you keep jumping around departments in co-op you'll never get a raise.. and as a service clerk you work with all the slackers, you'll be the one bagging groceries while the rest of them go jack off.. get out of that department as quick as possible. Or at least try and get a cashier position.

3G
10-26-2003, 05:34 PM
It's not bad to start for sure.. just don't be a lifer and be stuck there for life... It's a good job to start if you have no experience in your field of study because it pays reasonably well. A friend of mine is making top wage as a Meat Wrapper over at #8 (Richmond Road Co-Op).. He's making almost 20 bucks an hour, and once he graduates he will have no where to go. One reason being he's an English Major, and another reason is, who's going to pay some English Major 20 bucks an hour to do a job in that field? I told him he might as well try and become a bestselling writer :D He could teach, but seeing how the education system is working here in Calgary, I'm quite pessimistic about that idea.

What you want to do (if you decide to stay at Co-Op for a couple of years) once you get out of being a service clerk, is to stay in that position as long as you can unless you absolutely hate it.. because once you switch departments, your hours to a raise gets reset (Next wage level every 1000 hours).

it's only a temporary job for now..alot of people i know who already work there say it's good..but hey it can't be worse than my job @ Calaway Park. they can suck my left nut :thumbsdow

Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
Hey the money is good after a few years but it sucks, I worked there for like a month.......they treate you like dirt. Everyone always slacked off and is seemed like i was the only one ever doing any work? I really hated it there so i quite. I love my new job and quiteing at CO op what the best thing i could have done!
But hey if you like it go for it.

If no one else is working, I ain't working. I only work when a Supervisor or Manager's around. I aint no pushover and I won't work while them faggots are jacking off :thumbsdow

but yeah well see how it goes..the managers seemed pretty nice..

Does anyone know what you do on the first day you go?

3G
10-26-2003, 05:35 PM
yep, next weekend is my last weekend at Co-Op.. If you keep jumping around departments in co-op you'll never get a raise..

Oh ya, they said something about finishing probation before you can switch departments

Shaolin
10-26-2003, 05:45 PM
really? they took that off when I started there.. hmm i guess they put it back up.. :dunno: