PDA

View Full Version : D300 or D90

seer_claw
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm looking at getting a new camera in the next month or so but I've run into a problem. I have no idea which camera to buy, I've currently got a D70s and I'm looking to upgrade the low light capabilities and so as a result its a choice between the D300 and the D90.

On paper the D300 and the D90 are very similar to each other. The AF is a much better system on the D300 and the lack of engraved AF points in the viewfinder is very nice. But is it worth the extra $600? The weather sealing is also a nice feature but if you don't have weather sealed lenses does it defeat the purpose of a weather sealed body?

If you had a choice what would you guys suggest getting and why? The D300 feels more comfortable but it a bit heavier, the D90 just feels a little too small but its also a lot cheaper. The images are equivalent which makes the decision harder and I really don't care about the video.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
If you've already got all the lenses you need, or absolutely need the controls and features, the D300 is absolutely worth the extra $. If you don't, the difference in price can help you buy better glass or accessories, as the D90 is a very capable camera in its own right.

seer_claw
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
If you've already got all the lenses you need, or absolutely need the controls and features, the D300 is absolutely worth the extra $. If you don't, the difference in price can help you buy better glass or accessories, as the D90 is a very capable camera in its own right.

You have a good point, I could pick up something like the new 35 1.8 when it comes out, its just that the D90 seems a lot smaller camera ergonomically.

msommers
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
It may seem like a pretty black and white response, but if it just isn't comfortable to handle, it's not going to get any better.:dunno:

ps I'm bias for the D300, as the first time I used it I wanted it instantly:poosie:

seer_claw
03-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by msommers
It may seem like a pretty black and white response, but if it just isn't comfortable to handle, it's not going to get any better.:dunno:

ps I'm bias for the D300, as the first time I used it I wanted it instantly:poosie:

Thats my problem tho, is the camera worth $500 more just because its more comfortable. I too have wanted the D300 for a long while but the D90 just seems to match the D300 in most areas. I'm just finding it a tough decision to make. :nut:

C4S
03-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Mean reason for price different .. is how they built ..

One is metal body .. one is plastic ..

Again, if u dont see the need of those extra feature from D300 .. buy D90.

:)

Gibson
03-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm going to be entirely honest here and say that I'm not 100% happy with the image quality on my D300.

That being said, the extra shooting speed, weather-sealed body, better AF system, and build-quality make it really a no brainer because I was upgrading from a D40.

Also being said, I love it to bits.

D'z Nutz
03-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Doooooo iiiiiiiit! :poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
My first suggestion would be to not pay for features you won't use.

Secondly, I have a bad habit of comprimising when buying something, and then just wishing I had bought the "better" model of whatever it is shortly after. I end up selling my original choice at a loss and buying what I should have bought in the first place. If you are like me in that regard - get the D300, as you need to spend $5,000+ if you want a better camera.

Here are some quick thoughts that come to mind that might help you decide if you feel you need to spend the extra money or not:

D300 has better AF

D300 has a faster screw-drive motor for non AF-S lenses

D300 has the focus fine tune capability (particularily useful with third party or very wide aperture lenses)

D300 has a higher FPS, and can shoot at 8FPS with the grip

D300 has bigger buffers for continuous shooting

D300 is dust/weather sealed very well

D300 Has a built in intervalometer

D300 uses CF cards

D300 has a better viewfinder

D300 is magnesium (vs. plastic)

D300 has mirror lock up (D90 has exposure delay mode only)

D300 has more hard buttons/switches for quicker and easier changing of settings (this is a huge deal for me)

Thats all I can think of for now but should cover most things....if none of the above is absolutely crucial to you, I would go with the D90. If you can afford it, and/or think you would take advantage of any of the above, I would suggest the D300. Realistically, though, I doubt you will find yourself in many situations where you couldn't get the shot because you had a D90 and not a D300 unless you are big into shooting sports, birds in flight, or similar things.

Go4Long
03-31-2009, 07:57 AM
one thing for the other side of the argument, if you're still in the stage where you use all the auto functions on the dial(ie: sports mode, or portrait mode...or whatever) the D300 doesn't have them.

on the flip side of the same argument, it will teach you rather quickly to set your settings manually.

seer_claw
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
one thing for the other side of the argument, if you're still in the stage where you use all the auto functions on the dial(ie: sports mode, or portrait mode...or whatever) the D300 doesn't have them.

on the flip side of the same argument, it will teach you rather quickly to set your settings manually.

Nope, haven't used those in a long time but they are nice to have when you hand you camera over to another person to get a shot.

Mitsu, none of those things are crucial but the AF is way nicer and the body is much more comfortable and doesn't seem to be as cramped as the D90. Its going to be a tough choice.

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by seer_claw
Mitsu, none of those things are crucial but the AF is way nicer and the body is much more comfortable and doesn't seem to be as cramped as the D90. Its going to be a tough choice.

If you can afford it I'd just get the D300. Ergonomics are very important and it sounds like you prefer the D300 in that regard as well. I can honestly say I've missed shots before because I had to dig through a menu to change a setting, and that doesn't happen with the D300. Also, I think you will be surprised at how fast you learn, and as a result you will quickly appreciate the extra features of the D300. The "Portrait" and "Landscape" features on the D90 and lower actually do very little. They just make some very general adjustmets that you could learn to do yourself in 10 minutes. You can also put the D2X modes on the D300, which I find particularily useful (here if anyone wants them: http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/index.html.en). The D300 still has "P" mode if you need it, which is essentially an auto mode. All that said, if you can't see yourself really getting into photography, many of the D300's features will likely go unused.

Tiki
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
i just got a D300 open box at work, it was my customer and he ended up exchanging it for the D700. its brand new still and i could prolly get rid of it for cheap!

seer_claw
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
I haven't used any of the Scene modes on my D70s . I shoot mainly manual or Aperture priority. I only use P if I have a friend or family member shooting with my camera. I am leaning toward the D300 but it just a tough decision when its $500 more. Ah, the joy of having choices. :D

ex1z7
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by seer_claw

Nope, haven't used those in a long time but they are nice to have when you hand you camera over to another person to get a shot.

If it's any consolation, I have a D300 and go offroading with friends quite often, I've passed my D50 off to people, and my D300 off as well - and everyone (nobody having ever even TOUCHED an SLR before) says the D300 is amazingly easy to use.. Set to aperture priority or programmed mode, and anyone can shoot the thing..

At the same time, the D90 is smaller and rightfully feels as such, though I have wanted the movie mode on my camera before.. Being able to take a video clip would be pretty wicked.. Then again, i'd also rather have a camera for each type of shooting - still and motion..

That being said, the D300 feels, looks, and performs better then the D90, get it just because it's more badass..