PDA

View Full Version : Painter's tape for vehicles in transit....

Boosted_TL
03-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Does anyone have any credible information on using painters 3m "blue" tape to cover bumper, mirrors, half hood etc? All I am worried about is having an adhesive mess to clean up once its time to remove the tape. Will the motor heat make the adhesive cure and make a headache? What do you guys use for track days?

Distance, 600km's

Thanks

chkolny541
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM
it should be fine, and pull off cleanly :thumbsup: never tried frist hand but i know its very common place for people to use when travelling

adidas
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
If you notice that its flapping around and corner is coming off or whatever, pull over and pull that shit off as it will damage ur paint.

Other then that you should be good!

ninefourfour
03-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I ran the blue tape( minimal adhesive) on my fresh paint from Vancouver to Calgary when it was hot(end of may). It actually saved me as a plastic container came out of a truck bed and smashed against my bumper!(saved the paint).

After the trip I pealed the tape off and there was minimal residue but you can see, on dark paint, where the tape lines were. Make sure the car is clean before placement and you are going to need to use a washmit when you take it off to wash it down. No problems at all.

By the way make sure you leave enough time to do it. I did it on my FD and it took almost 1.5 hours by myself to do it. If you have a friend to help its easier.

CUG
03-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, wash the hell out of it before you put it on and make sure the tape overlaps so that there isn't road-grime lines when you pull it.

ZorroAMG
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
It depends on how long you want to drive it...I drove Calgary to Edmonton with the stuff and it was fine....black car, no residue whatsoever...actually there is the top line green tape that is acutally better and comes off easier....use that instead of the blue...

realazy
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I've used the blue tape to get from Lloyd back to Calgary and it held up. Like someone else said, if it's flapping around, rip it off or it will damage your paint.

Don't leave it on more than a week though, the glue will start to break down and leave residue.

EK 2.0
03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I have used the tape on many, many, many trips...

Mostly to Edmonton from Calgary...

But twice to Vancouver from Calgary....and NO issues whatsoever...

Comes off sooooo clean haha....makes you wish you had taped up the entire car instead of just bumpers, hood, lips and mirrors...

e36bmw///
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
nm

funkedelic2
03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
used green tape before, never had an issue

blue looks better tho
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/SuperWiLd/CIMG0447.jpg

nice, i used that stuff on my e46 M3 and you couldn't tell there was any tape on it as it was pretty much exactly the same color :D

schocker
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
There was some talk of it here last week
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/257458/protective-car-tape-/

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Iv used tape on several long trips. I found that on fiberglass it did more damage, using blue tape than not.

When a rock hits the bumper, even with the tape it will do damage. When you peel the tape off it tends to pull the paint from the damaged spot. So instead of being a small rock chip it becomes larger.

The green tape from most companies is worse than blue, the blue tape usually goes for $14 a roll. Its safe for the paint, it tends to peel back less from wind and does better when moist.

The moments the tape starts to peel from wind/rain, remove it ASAP! flapping tape will burn your paint, it usually has little rocks / sand stuck to the adhesive.

I stopped using tape a while ago and have done a trip to seattle and back with out chips, just kept my distance from cars thats all.

e36bmw///
03-29-2009, 07:53 PM
bn

atgilchrist
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Is this in reference to show cars? Because if it's for daily drivers, it seems like way too much time to prevent a rock chip or two. At some point cars have to face the elements.:dunno:

ZorroAMG
03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
No, it's for nice daily drivers that have to travel long distance on shitty roads. I'd rather spent $20 and a couple of hours to save thousands preventing re-sprays.

schocker
03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
No, it's for nice daily drivers that have to travel long distance on shitty roads. I'd rather spent $20 and a couple of hours to save thousands preventing re-sprays.
Exactly. That is why I taped mine, along with the bugs and crap that stick to your car over thousands of miles. I dont usually drive that distance on the highway so it is not like i tape it up for city driving.

atgilchrist
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I guess that makes sense. I've just been driving a SUV for too long now. Although I do have rock chips, so...FML

Boosted_TL
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the comments! I think I may try a "double" layer of blue. Sometimes keeping distance is not that easy. I am not following a slow semi whom is blessing my car with free sandblasting. Plus, Kelowna - Calgary roads will have alot of gravel nowadays, I leave Saturday.

Thanks

atgilchrist
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Thanks for the comments! I think I may try a "double" layer of blue. Sometimes keeping distance is not that easy. I am not following a slow semi whom is blessing my car with free sandblasting. Plus, Kelowna - Calgary roads will have alot of gravel nowadays, I leave Saturday.

Thanks

Good luck with the new car!

Boosted_TL
03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Why thank you!