PDA

View Full Version : Review: Red Door Oyster & Liquor Bar

A790
03-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Red Door Oyster and Liquor Bar
607 – 11th Avenue S.W.
(403) 233-2433
www.reddoorbistro.com - Online reservations available.

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 3/5
Value: 2.5/5
Overall: 2.5/5

Introduction:

A close friend of mine once worked at the Red Door Bistro, and from time to time (read: daily) I would hear about how fantastic this restaurant was. He would droll on about how fresh the food is, how terrific the atmosphere is, and how this bistro was the bistro.

Being a restaurant owner I often find myself genuinely appreciating the offerings of other establishments. It’s always a thrill for me to see how another restaurant prepares its food, treats its guests, and what kind of experience it is able to provide.

I was looking forward to the Red Door Bistro primarily because my restaurant and the Red Door are so similar in many ways. Of all the restaurants in Calgary that I’ve wanted to visit, it was the Red Door that I was the most anxious to try.

Service:

I always rate the service first because I feel it’s the service that truly defines a restaurant as a destination, as opposed to simply a place to eat. Our server was a lovely young woman with long brown hair and a genuine smile. Throughout the entire evening she was always smiling or laughing with the table (we were a table of 10 for a birthday dinner)- a warm and welcome touch.

Our server was prompt with drinks, modifications, and other requests that our table made. We were, admittedly, a little loud and animated, but since we were the only table of the evening we didn’t feel too bad about it. Our server played along just fine and chimed in every now and again.

Atmosphere:

The Red Door has a contemporary atmosphere that most people will likely appreciate. The lighting is subtle and directed, making it clear that this restaurant is more about intimacy and enjoyment of company than about shovelling down some food and scarfing back a few beers.

The chairs are comfortable, though some may find the cushions a little too enveloping- quite a few of our party were quite low in comparison to the table.

The hardwood floor creaks, the fireplace is real, and the bar is located at the back corner of the Bistro- out of sight, and out of mind. I was quite impressed with the ambiance, which makes the next part of this review such a tragedy.

Food:

Given the excellent service and enchanting surroundings it was not unreasonable of me to expect the food to be exceptional. Unfortunately, I was quickly proven wrong.

The menu itself is varied, though it has a few offerings that simply do not belong on the menu of a restaurant of this calibre- poutine and hamburgers come to mind. However, there are a few offerings that are a little unusual and seemed to be worth trying (The Braised Ewe-Nique Farms Lamb Shoulder Lasagna - $15.99 – and the House smoked Noble Farms Duck Breast - $28.45).

Our table ordered a mix of everything. We started with Salt Spring Island Mussels ($15.75), Truffle Marinated Escargot ($14.99), and the Confit Noble Farms Duck Leg ($15.98). The mussels were easily the choice of the three, with the duck being a little overdone and the escargot actually tasting quite underwhelming (something that genuinely surprised me). The duck leg would likely have been fantastic had it been done just a little less.

Our entrees arrived shortly after, and once again I was sorely disappointed. My girlfriend had the previously mentioned Lasagna, which sounded delicious, but wound up tasting quite strongly of Lamb with noodles thrown into the mix. The lamb is quite overpowering in that particular dish- order it if you like Lamb, avoid if you like Lasagna.

I ordered the 10oz. Organic Spring Creek Striploin Steak ($33.99) and quite enjoyed it, though I found the meal itself to be rather small. In this case, a steak is a steak and this one was quite good, though I wouldn’t come back to the Red Door for another sampling of it.

Other members of our party ordered the ‘Red Door’ Burger ($13.49), the ‘Roast Vegetables Linguine ($13.75), and the Belly Bacon & Caramelized Onion Risotto ($18.95). The Linguine received praises, as did the Burger, from those who ordered them. If you’re wondering why 10 people essentially ordered similar meals, it is because they were out of the Duck, Sea Bass, and Pork Chop- three items that many people at the table were actually interested in trying

I was quite put off by the fact that a full quarter of their entrée selections were not available on a Wednesday evening. As well, two members of our party ordered the Lasagna and I was shocked to see that the portion sizes for their meals were significantly different- very unprofessional.

Conclusion:

The ambiance and service salvaged our evening, as the food was generally lacklustre. It’s such a shame, as I had high hopes for the Red Door Bistro and was genuinely looking forward to dining there.

However, with that being said, I am going to revisit the Red Door on a weekend and give them another go. I still want to try the Duck Breast, and to be honest, things can happen in restaurants sometimes that put off an entire evening. I understand that fact quite well, but in the interim, I simply can not justify rating the Red Door Bistro higher than I have.