PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking & Unlocking Iphone 3g?

shakalaka
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi guys

I am on firmware 2.2.1.
Just wondering if its possible to unlock and jailbreak the iphone 3g?

If so any links, where I can follow the instructions?

Thanks

Thaco
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
jailbreak yes, (software)unlock no.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jailbreak+iphone+3g

shakalaka
03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I googled and stuff and found quickpwn. I downloaded the zip file of it and extracted it all.

But whenever I launch the Quickpwn.exe file

I get the error

'the application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.'

I don't understand why I am getting this, any ideas guys?

Thanks

BenC
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Go to the quickpwn website. There's instructions.

Thaco
03-30-2009, 09:54 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quickpwn+%27the+application+failed+to+initialize+properly+(0xc00000135).+Click+on+OK+to+terminate+the+application.%27

shakalaka
03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
^
lol Thanks!

Getting the microsoft file right now, that apparently causes the problem.

So do you know if they are working on the unlock for this yet? Is it going to be out anytime soon?
I just got the phone and I was under the impression that I would be able to unlock/jailbreak it.
I move back to Canada soon and don't want to be stuck with a phone locked to o2! Wish i knew before not to upgrade it to 2.2.1 just after getting it!

Thaco
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah, i'm sure they will come out with a fix sooner or later.

MKR89
03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
You can Jailbreak it yes, there is no unlock out for 2.2.1 firmware yet as they changed the baseband which prevented users from using the yellowsn0w soft unlock, a program that could be downloaded after jailbreaking the phone through installer.
The only way I know of now for unlocking the phone is buying a Rebel sim card, a small chip that you insert under your sim that can be used with almost any sim card.
I'm sure yellowsn0w and devteam are working on a new way to unlock the 2.2.1 firmware but with that baseband change I hear it may be next to impossible.

benyl
03-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Glad I didn't upgrade.

PureDeXteritY
03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
hey quick question for everyone.
After you've jailbroken and/or unlocked your iphone, is there a way to UNjailbrake/RElock (lol) your iphone?

MKR89
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
^ Yes, take a back up of your phone, and restore it via itunes.

shakalaka
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow that would suck if they are unable to come up with an unlock for this new baseband!

I have about a month or so before I move back and if they don't have the unlock then I guess the only possible way left is to get that chip then? Anyone used these chips before? Do they even work and where would you get them from?

MKR89
03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
The only other way that I have seen actually work is the chip, and yes it DOES work. There is supposebly software that you can buy and install on your computer that can somehow unlock it but I'm not too sure how legit the software is.
The best place to buy the sim is at : http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=58&Itemid=1 .
Other websites will try to sell these cards as there own special unlocking sim and they increase the price of the sim generally by over 250%.
Buy it from the manufacture :).

shakalaka
03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Alright thanks man. I guess I will wait until I can, cause right now I am using on o2 anyway. Once I move back and if there is nothing, then I guess I will get that sim.

btw: jailbreaking successful. thanks for all the help!

MKR89
03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
No problem man, hopefully they have the baseband cracked by the time your back.
Now that you've jailbroken it, get SNES emulator and figure how to get that working. By far the best feature once jailbroken.

Jonel
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
someone should do a step by step with pictures guide to jailbreaking an iphone for users new to the iphone.

modded46
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Jailbroken + Tethering = Gold. :)

Oh and Pandora is pretty bad ass too.

slick2404
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Jonel
someone should do a step by step with pictures guide to jailbreaking an iphone for users new to the iphone.

Because following a youtube video is to complicated?

modded46
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Um from what I remember, if you're needing either a video or pictures on how to jailbreak it, what happens when you get to the point where you need to use Cydia? hehee oops. It's like download firmware, run setup, reboot, hold a button, replace firmware, done.

Moe Man
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
i'm confused on running cydia the apps are weird and i tried to run snes and its doesn't work, jail breaking is as easy as installing itunes.

whats Pandoras and how do you tether.

modded46
03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Pandora is internet radio.. Basically you put in a band or a song that you wanna hear and it plays something by that band and then all the other "similar" songs or artists out there it can find and streams them.

http://www.pandora.com/

Tethering is using your iPhone as internet access for your laptop. so basically anywhere you have cell phone signal you can get on the internet with your laptop. You do this over a adhoc wi-fi connection to your laptop.

The new release of the iPhone software 3.0 has this built in from what I've heard.

modded46
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Tinyproxy is what I used. works great.

Moe Man
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
whats up with this summer board, spring board, winter board stuff? i only got winter and i need the other how do i get them?

shakalaka
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Any news for the unlock on 2.2.1 now or still nothing? I might just have to get that extra sim card in that case.

rage2
05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
You can downgrade the baseband now.

http://woikr.com/news/3gbbd-gui-version-of-3g-baseband-downgrader/

Confirmed working on my phone, which was upgraded to 2.2.1 and successfully unlocked. I'm using my iPhone in India with an Airtel simcard. Data, SMS all working beautifully.

Don't ask me how to do it, Fuji did it for me, and apparently it's pretty easy.

shakalaka
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You can downgrade the baseband now.

http://woikr.com/news/3gbbd-gui-version-of-3g-baseband-downgrader/

Confirmed working on my phone, which was upgraded to 2.2.1 and successfully unlocked. I'm using my iPhone in India with an Airtel simcard. Data, SMS all working beautifully.

Don't ask me how to do it, Fuji did it for me, and apparently it's pretty easy.

Yea I found that out as well, but it needs your bootloader to be 4.8 and I tried the method you just download DownBB from Cydia and it does it. I followed the steps but it didnt work for me so I am guessing my bootloader isn't 4.8. :(

spike98
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
whats up with this summer board, spring board, winter board stuff? i only got winter and i need the other how do i get them?

Springboard is the apple application on your phone that manages the applications and icons ect.

Summerboard is a replacement application that allowed you to do neat things that you cant from the factory.

Winterboard is the summerboard replacement. Many more features added and much more stable.

I however stopped using it because it slowed my phone down too much for me to handle.

Truth be told i restored and havent jailbroken again because it was glitchy and pissing me off. Im just waiting untill 3.0

shakalaka
05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey Guys

So since I found out that my bootloader version was 5.09 and the downgrading option wasn't a possibility for me either, I went ahead and ordered the rebel sim card. So I got it today and I've been struggling with it since the morning. I insert the sim card as instructed (pretty simply) and the phone shows 'searching' on top and it does that for a little bit and eventually finds the network, however within a minute or so it starts showing 'no sim' and there is no network. It has been doing that since the morning and it hasn't held the network for over a minute in that time.

It's getting really frustrating now as I've searched google which led me to updating the rebel sim's firmware and everything without any luck. Just wondering if someone here can help me out with this, it would be really really appreciated!

Thanks

InLoveWitRSX
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey man, Im using a rebel sim card on my Iphone 3g 2.2 firmware too... except mine works? Try putting your sim card in another phone , get reception, then take out your simcard and put it back into the iphone with the rebel simcard.. I think that might work.

But whenever mine goes to "searching" or it loses reception, I put it into "airplane" mode then back into regular mode so it resets the connection and usually works for me.

shakalaka
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
^So I tried doing that. I took the rebel sim and put my rogers sim in the N95 which is already unlocked but I figured it must be the same deal. However, the N95 never even started, it just got stuck at the start and said 'insert sim'. So it didn't even recognize the SIM when the rebel was with it, which is even worse than the iphone considering the iphone recognizes it, catches the reception and gives the 'no sim' error within a minute.