PDA

View Full Version : Moving North of Vag - by Jim Wendler

Oz-
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Excerpt from Jim Wendler's book - 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976)

Moving North of Vag
I can’t take credit for this name. I wish I could, but both the idea and the name come from my good friend Jim Messer. Jim and I have been friends since junior high, and we have the kind of friendship that doesn’t require us to talk every week. Or even every year. This is more of an idea. A concept, if you will.

Jim started training with the 5/3/1 method without my knowing it, and he’s had great success. He emailed me and let me know about this. Here’s part of an email he wrote to me:
I feel compelled to tell you that after a few months of using the now-legendary 5/3/1, I have now moved somewhat north of being an utter vag. I f**ked my body up pretty badly last winter, stopped all physical activity, and thought that was pretty much gonna be it. Just another skinny f**king wimp. It’s been a really long time since I’ve felt this good physically. By God, last week I puked in my mouth and almost blacked out squatting. I’d thought that time in my life was over.

After I stopped laughing, I began thinking about his statement and about how many people seem to be moving and staying well south of vag. To quote Black Sabbath, this is a symptom of the universe. Then I started to contemplate how one stays in the Northern Hemisphere of the Holy Holes. What followed was the training template I’ll show you now. It’s very simple to follow:

1. Warm-up: foam rolling, static stretching and jumping rope (or something similar).

2. Lift Weights: 5/3/1; keep it basic and strong.

3. Condition: Run hills, push Prowler.

That’s it. Do this 3-4 times a week and you won’t fall into the trap of being normal. You’ll be strong, healthy and in shape. You won’t make New Year’s resolutions because you’ll be living it every day. You can eat that final piece of pie and not count carbs because you just ran 20 hill sprints for the third time this week. You can wake up and not feel like shit because you’ve actually taken the time to foam roll and stretch. You actually have some traps from deadlifting. You don’t fall for fitness trends, because you know what works. You stop caring what people say on the internet, because you’re always making progress. You’re always moving forward toward something.

People ask you how to train, and you answer, “I look at what you do, and then I do the exact opposite.”

You’ll actually be able to move because your feet will be fast from jumping rope. You won’t be out of breath all the time. You’ll be able to take on any physical activity you want. You’ll be different once you’ve spent time straining to get a rep PR in the squat or pushed a Prowler for 40 minutes. Dealing with the idiots at work or your boss will no longer be an issue. It’s hard to bring a man down after he’s had three weeks of personal records in the gym. It’s hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after you’ve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it. Who cares about all that meaningless stuff? When your training and your life are moving forward, you certainly won’t.

It doesn’t take a lot to do this. You already give 8-10 hours a day to your boss and to your work. To boredom and to people and organizations that couldn’t care less about you. Then your family and friends get the rest of your time.

What about you? Do you really think so little of yourself that you can’t sacrifice an hour or two, 3-4 days a week, for yourself? This “me” time isn’t spent shopping, watching TV or getting on the internet. You’re spending it reinvesting in your body, building strength, and building character. Kicking ass and training consistently – and with some balance – will do wonders for both your body and your mind.

Get rid of all the meaningless crap in your life and your training. Get rid of the things that bleed your energy in the weight room and in life. What’s better for you? The Prowler or a stroll on the treadmill? What do you think is going to make you better?

Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit.

This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me, too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back.

mazdavirgin
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
5/3/1? Does that actually work? I was under the impression the preferred was 10/7/3?

Shunsui
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Just did a quick google search and yea it is 5/3/1 and there's also a book out, and many forums are saying that it's great. Still trying to find out the workout plan though...

Wildcat
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Same mentality i got. I know what works and i don't need to hear it from anyone else. Putting on 90lbs of muscle in 4 years must count for something.

Darkane
03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
YES! Excellent.

Now can we somehow have this on all Emergency Radio Broadcasts?

This shit is so true though, everything translates to real life when you attempt to reach and surpass yourself physically in the gym or training.

Jlude
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Great post... I'm getting myself ready to get back into the gym... that really helped prepare.

Oz-
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui
Just did a quick google search and yea it is 5/3/1 and there's also a book out, and many forums are saying that it's great. Still trying to find out the workout plan though...

You likely won't find it for free. The book is a short and easy read, can be bought for $20 at www.elitefts.com if you are actually interested.

kutt3r
04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Its all over the web, you just have to look.
Not the full thing, but it is there.

Spend the $20.
Read it twice.
Do it.
Don't question it.
Do it.
Most cannot comprehend low volume... but if you can, it will work for you and you will be movin' north of vag... (purchase price is worth that quote right there)

2 1/2 cycles complete and I am still loving it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:clap:

ragu
04-03-2009, 12:16 AM
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=68093&tid=

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=68101&tid=

^^There you go, those two posts pretty much sum up everything. Can't wait to give it a shot beginning May. :thumbsup:

max_boost
04-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Perfect since my #1 goal right now is increasing strength!!! :whipped:

TurboD
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Putting on 90lbs of muscle in 4 years must count for something.

i call BS

i would love to hear how you pretend to know this

Eibbus
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Whats a prowler? in this context.... sick bastards =p

Oz-
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Eibbus
Whats a prowler? in this context.... sick bastards =p

http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/documents/prowler.htm

Prowler in action

nR72ZLfAG_c

rx7boi
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Same mentality i got. I know what works and i don't need to hear it from anyone else. Putting on 90lbs of muscle in 4 years must count for something.

Originally posted by TurboD

i call BS

i would love to hear how you pretend to know this

Not necessarily calling BS, but I would like to know as well.

Also, photos for pr00f needed.

/nohomo.

max_boost
06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Wildcat is OG man, give the guy the benefit of the doubt! He is that big now and he was that skinny back 4+years ago.

I remember meeting him at home depot back in 2003. 6'3" skinny tall white kid who looked like he was 140lbs MAX so him being in the 230 range now does not surprise me at all.

B4tMan
06-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Strong message. He should be selling supplements and cleaning products

"This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me, too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back."

Wildcat
06-28-2009, 06:29 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs095.snc1/5148_1170541498996_1091751402_526323_6349212_n.jpg

A790
06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs095.snc1/5148_1170541498996_1091751402_526323_6349212_n.jpg
Lose some weight, fatass ;)

Hakkola
06-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Static stretching?

I thought this was the worst thing you could do before weight training. From some studies I've looked through you can lose up to 10% of your strength for around an hour after static stretching.

Darkane
06-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Good size Wildcat :thumbsup:

Current plan? Bulk, cut, Maintain?

Oz-
06-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Static stretching?

I thought this was the worst thing you could do before weight training. From some studies I've looked through you can lose up to 10% of your strength for around an hour after static stretching.

I re-read these sections and can't tell one way or another. But from what I took from his book was to foam roll, stretch and that stuff for pre-hab work while you are at home.

However, that section really leads you to believe that you static stretch prior to starting any training session. That study may be very true but adjust this to how it works for you. My only time that I really stretch is on squat and deadlift day, and it isn't stretching my hamstrings or quads too much, but rather my hips so that I can get to depth a lot easier.

If others have read his book, then please post your comments or thoughts on that section.

lint
07-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Negative effects of static stretching have only really come to light recently. Many still believe that static stretching helps, Wendler may be one of them as he does describe static stretching in his warm up section.

I would pay more attention to what the headers of his list are, rather than the examples:

1. Warm up: foam rolling, static stretching and jumping rope (or something similar).
2. Lift Weights: 5/3/1; keep it basic and strong.
3. Condition: Run hills, push Prowler.

Warm up however you want. This is a guide, not a bible.

bigbadboss101
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
How much time on average do you guys spend on a 5/3/1 session? Minus warmup and the cardio part less than 45 minutes?

Oz-
07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Including warmup of my weights my session is about 40-45 minutes. This includes all my accessory work as well, using The Triumvirate variation for accessory work.

lint
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm light on warm up and accessory work, so mine last about 30. With accessory work around 45.

bigbadboss101
07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Ok, good to know. I thought I was slacking when I left the gym after 40 minutes. I did incline bench, and then as accessory I did dips, flyes, and tricep extension.

max_boost
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I love this program. It's so simple, yet so effective and can be absolutely brutal haha

It depends how much work you put into the assistance exercises.

Last night I did just deadlifts and took me 45 mins.

3 warm up sets.
3 workout sets.
5 sets of 10 at 60%.

LMAO

At the end of it I was lying on the ground dead. I slept great after too.

Week 2 for me, moving north of vag.

:D

Oz-
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Since this thread has deviated into a bit of a 5/3/1 thread, just found this a funny and great article.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/commercial_gym.htm

5/3/1 In A Commercial Gym: Observations
By The Angry Coach

For www.EliteFTS.com

Because of a major career change, I've recently relocated to a new city. With this move, and all the bullshit that goes along with moving, I've been forced to endure the misfortune of trying to find a new gym - in an area where all I can seem to find are commercial "chain" gyms that don't offer what guys like me are looking for in a facility.

As a result, I've done a lot of thinking about what these types of gyms do wrong. Now, anyone who's in business will say, "Dude, the key to business is giving people what they want. Who are you to tell a business owner what he's doing wrong? If people want to pay $79 a month to walk on treadmills and do preacher curls all day, why shouldn't gyms just take their money?"

The answer to this is easy. Like smoking, drinking and black tar heroin, what people want isn't always the best thing for them. The world, however, has been convinced that 20 minutes of treadmill walking - hanging onto the rails, of course - followed by endless sets of every bicep exercise under the sun is "the way to train."

And you know what? It's just f-ing sad. When I look around my commercial gym, my inner Thinker comes out and I say to myself, "This country's in trouble."

Here's where I'm coming from. If you've read my log before, you'll know I'm a major advocate of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I think it's the best "general" lifting program I've ever seen, and I'm planning to stay on it for years to come because it works. Even a program as simple as 5/3/1, however, can be a bitch to perform at a commercial gym because of the obstacles these places put in your way.

That said, here's a list of things that I think would improve the commercial gym experience for all concerned. Some of these are things gyms should do, and some of them are things gyms should stop doing. Most of you can add a dozen more things to this list. What I've tried to do with this is to be realistic, and not come out with the EFS party line that "every gym needs twenty power racks, a glute-ham raise and a reverse hyper," because that's simply not going to fly. Some of these will sound familiar, but if they do - within the context of this article, anyway - then it's something I honestly think is universal.

1. Get More Power Racks: In most commercial gyms, power racks are also known as "hanging ab stations." This is because people don't know what you can really do in a rack. If they actually did, the racks would be the busiest area in the gym, because you can do virtually anything in a power rack. Anything. Most gyms have one rack at most, and it's usually some rickety old piece of shit in which you wouldn't dare attempt squatting more than 315 pounds. In my old gym, we had a number or racks that nobody ever used. Once some "real" lifters came in, and people saw what could be done in a rack, they were constantly being used.

2. Enforce the "Rack Your Weights" Rule: Instead of walking around hassling people about signing up for sessions, a major responsibility of all these "floor trainers" you see buzzing around in commercial gyms should be to make sure people are taking plates off bars and machines, and replacing dumbbells where they belong. Cleaning up after "95 Pound Squat Guy" is annoying, especially when he's squatting with a pad on the bar.

3. Make Room For Barbell Exercises: I stay pretty basic with 5/3/1. On squat days, since I no longer have access to a glute-ham raise, pretty much everything I do involves a barbell: squatting, RDL's, good mornings and cleans. On bench days, among other things, I bench, row and do shrugs. With all the machines and other crap they pack into commercial gyms, there's little room to do any kind of barbell exercise without having to look all around you before you get started, lest you run into some wandering slapdick who's late for his appointment with the preacher curl.

4. Enforce the "Put Shit Back Where You Found It" Rule: I do lots of weighted dips. For whatever reason, whenever I do these, I have to hunt around the gym for several minutes looking for the dip belt with the chain, because it's never in the same place. The same goes for damned near every portable implement in the gym. At my old gym, the carabiners on our chains would constantly disappear because people thought they were part of the general carabiner supply for the entire place. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

5. Enforce the "No Cell Phones in the Gym" Rule: I've never seen anything like this before. Everyone in this f-----g gym walks around talking on the phone. Am I missing something here? I've never brought a phone into a gym in my life, so maybe I just don't understand. Is this something I should be doing?

6. Take an Allen Key and Tighten Your Dumbbells: Is it a rule that every heavy dumbbell in every commercial gym in America should be about to completely fall apart? Do some weekly maintenance on your facility and fix this shit, please. It's completely inexcusable.

7. Get Real Collars: Let me let you in a little secret. Spring collars suck, and nobody likes them. About the only thing they're good for, in my estimation, is hanging chains from them when you deadlift so the chains don't hit your feet. That's it. And since most commercial gyms don't have chains - give this time...you'll see people misusing them all over America eventually - spring collars are good for just about nothing.

8. Tell Your Cheesy Personal Trainers to Stop Stealing Shit From EliteFTS and Doing it Wrong: Look around any commercial gym. Every single one of them will have a trainer who advocates box squatting, and every single one of these trainers teaches it entirely wrong. This is because they have no idea what the f--k they're doing. They saw it on YouTube or at some functional seminar, they want to be "hip and trendy," and now they're box squatting and kettlebell swinging and sled pulling and doing all manner of shit they've never done themselves and couldn't teach to my dog. Please. Stick with your Bosu balls and balance boards and stop embarrassing yourselves.

9. Revoke the Membership of Anyone Caught Lifting With Sunglasses On: If you're going to wear shades in the gym, you'd better produce a prescription on demand, otherwise you're a jackass and we'd be better off without you. The same goes for any number of "things" that these f-ing people do in these places. I once saw a guy taking a leak at a gym urinal with his pants around his ankles and his ass hanging out. Sorry, man. Doesn't fly.

Believe me, this list is by no means comprehensive. This comes as a result of "training" for less than a week at a commercial gym, so I'm sure I'll have an entire litany of complaints by the time my stay in this particular facility is complete. I look forward to my next visit to my personal chrome and neon hell.