PDA

View Full Version : Guess how much this routine service for the '09 GT-R costs?

Sykes
03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
What needs to be done:

- Oil Change
- Differential Fluid
- Transaxle Fluid
- Engine Air Filter
- Micro-Air Filter (or cabin)

For starters:

Those of you 2009 Nissan GT-R haters out there, you're going to love this one. To the GT-R fanboys, well, sorry, this is going to be hard to make excuses for.

Last week we took our Nissan GT-R to Nissan of Santa Monica for routine service. We knew going in that this was going to be an expensive one. We'd been warned ahead of time that this service was not only an oil change (already expensive on these cars), but also a routine change of the differential and transaxle fluids.

Should be simple, right? Consider this: Automatic Transmission Fluid (GT-R specific) lists for $114.98 per quart. That's not a typo-- maybe an accounting error on Nissan's side, but not a typo. Forget Cristal we're going to start seeing hip-hop videos with rappers pouring this stuff on the ground while throwing dollars in the air. Don't worry, though, we didn't pay that. We got a deal; only $84.24 each. What a bargain.
Read the rest HERE (http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/03/2009-nissan-gt-r-bargain-supercar-gets-expensive.html)

badatusrnames
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
$2009.67 for those that don't care to click the link...

kamakurakid
03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Those that need to ask......

An F1 car cannot be much more. If Nissan made an F1.

94boosted
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Does this fluid allow you to use Launch Control and not void your warranty, at this price it better :rofl:

sr20s14zenki
03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Ouch, pricey. That almost rivals what ferarris cost.

http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=265322

i have this, not sure how truthful it is, but i know they cost alot

(All prices are approximations; prices include appropriate parts and labor)

*15,000 mile (MINOR) Service for 308's, 328's, Mondial 3.2's, & QV's = $1195.00
(348's and Mondial t's are $1495.00 & F355's are $1995.00 due to parts cost and added labor)

Redlyne_mr2
03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
You gotta pay to play... end of story.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I'll stick with a ZR-1. Thanks. :nut: :banghead:

tentacles
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
He should just do a LS1/T56 swap. Cheaper to service and the trans won't blow up. :thumbsup:

rumeo
03-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Note to self: Never buy a GTR

iceburns288
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Ouch, pricey. That almost rivals what ferarris cost.

i have this, not sure how truthful it is, but i know they cost alot

(All prices are approximations; prices include appropriate parts and labor)

*15,000 mile (MINOR) Service for 308's, 328's, Mondial 3.2's, & QV's = $1195.00
(348's and Mondial t's are $1495.00 & F355's are $1995.00 due to parts cost and added labor)
A minor on a 348 won't be so bad. It's the 30k service you have to watch out for. It's engine-out, and US$1400 for parts alone is a GREAT price. Another US$1500-2000 for labor. A minor should be less than 1k... I think.

Isn't the point of buying a GT-R to spend less than you would buying a Ferrari?:nut:

Kloubek
03-30-2009, 11:39 PM
The tranny fluid might be expensive, but at least it protects it properly from breakdown... oh... wait...

jdm_eg6
03-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I know im picking a battle ;), but that should be the truth for Lamborghini's, Zonda's, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, but not Nissan. Nissan had set out to produce a car which met the needs of your slightly above average enthusiast with a half decent price mark.

Servicing costs similar to high end super cars, plus faulty mechanisms (i know i know its beaten to death but the launch control), and a serious competitors such as the ZR1 could hamper GTR sales or even cripple them.

my 2c

heavyD
03-31-2009, 07:35 AM

Yes I agree but it surely doesn't help the image of the car which is already been bungled by Nissan. I can't remember a car as capable as the GTR that has spawned so many haters.

I don't mind the car myself but it confirms my suspicions that exotic cars should be left to exotic carmakers.

benyl
03-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Haha.

You can't be serious.

If you don't pay upfront, you expect them to pay later?

That is ridiculars.

With an exotic, you have to pay to play on all fronts.
This is a Nissan. It is a 3rd rate Japanese car company that makes a marvel of engineering for the masses. It then expects the masses to pay what the top 1% of the world pays for their toys?

Doesn't make sense to me. Sure, I would expect to pay a few more bucks to service it, but you shouldn't be paying more than what you pay servicing your Ferrari.

bwling
03-31-2009, 08:03 AM

Sarcasm? :dunno:

01RedDX
03-31-2009, 08:55 AM

SCHIDER23
03-31-2009, 09:50 AM
:eek: :eek: WOW 2G, might as well buy a Ferrari instead lol wow

Jlude
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

My buddy 'only' pays $800 for a basic lube job on his 360.

Sounds like a bargain

BlackLight
03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I got my deposit back and am now waiting for a CTS-V.
I know, not in the same league, but on the road, rolling and trying to merge, or at an impromptu redlight, I think the V will take the R. :whipped:

chkolny541
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I'll stick with a ZR-1. Thanks. :nut: :banghead:

lol, can i see pics of your zr1 that your sticking with

ZorroAMG
03-31-2009, 01:33 PM

Errrr....

gd3_kid
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BlackLight
I got my deposit back and am now waiting for a CTS-V.
I know, not in the same league, but on the road, rolling and trying to merge, or at an impromptu redlight, I think the V will take the R. :whipped:

Good choice on the cts-v!
I am in love with these cars and I've never been into anything from Detroit....hands down the nicest interior I've ever seen in any car

max_boost
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
lol

Scratch the GTR off the WTB list. I'll lose my mind paying that kind of money for service. Next car will be a BMW no doubt. fast/sexy/lease/ but most importantly, no charge 4 year maintenance FTMFW! haha :bigpimp:

Fuji
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

It's not that bad. As Redlyne said you gotta pay to play... although I guess that is probably 2-3 lease/finance payments haha

IMO the c63/m3/ISF etc aren't really that cheap to service either...

Wait until the 2x,xxxkm service where people have to start replacing pads and rotors for six piston brembos. There's a rude awakening!

Redlyne_mr2
03-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Haha.

You can't be serious.

If you don't pay upfront, you expect them to pay later?

That is ridiculars.

With an exotic, you have to pay to play on all fronts.
This is a Nissan. It is a 3rd rate Japanese car company that makes a marvel of engineering for the masses. It then expects the masses to pay what the top 1% of the world pays for their toys?

Doesn't make sense to me. Sure, I would expect to pay a few more bucks to service it, but you shouldn't be paying more than what you pay servicing your Ferrari.

I'm not sure what a tranny/diff fluid and oil change is on a Ferrari but I'm sure its similar if not more. The GTR outperforms most cars on the street, it's a bargain to begin with so paying to maintain a car like this with super car performance is totally worth it IMO. The Porsche/ferrari guys have never complained about the cost of maintenance, leave it to the cheap Nissan owners to make a fuss. :)

911fever
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM

I'm not sure what a tranny/diff fluid and oil change is on a Ferrari but I'm sure its similar if not more. The GTR outperforms most cars on the street, it's a bargain to begin with so paying to maintain a car like this with super car performance is totally worth it IMO. The Porsche/ferrari guys have never complained about the cost of maintenance, leave it to the cheap Nissan owners to make a fuss. :)

amen. This car outhandles, outbrakes, outperforms cars twice its price... you can buy a lot of service for the price difference between this a Porsche 911 TT. I don't get the haters of this car, its an amazing car and for its price, its a phenomenal deal. You have to pay to afford it, but many should stop going on and on about how its a "Nissan" and realize the technology and how it drives requires maintainenece. If it was a Hyundai, I'd respect the car and I can understand that for its technology and performance, its worth its maintainence bill.

Xtrema
03-31-2009, 07:52 PM

I bet if they badge this as Infiniti, everyone would STFU.

911fever
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I bet if they badge this as Infiniti, everyone would STFU.

no kidding, or they'd say its an overpriced Infiniti :rolleyes:

black13
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
If you can afford a GTR I doubt this would really concern you to begin with.
And every new model line has problems, I'm sure the Spec-V is gonna solve these problems likely.

The GTR is still an amazing car and I would pick it over anything in the sub-250k category.

E36M3
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Service is included on the M3, and I doubt the IS-F or C63 will be anything like the GT-R to maintain..

People that think that you can have all that exotic hardware/performance with no cost are kidding themselves..

And for the record, those maintenance costs are far less than any modern Ferrari (F430/F599/F612). Ferrari maintenance would make most people barf.

I guess that it would be more instructive to compare the cost of servicing the GT-R to the service on a 911 Turbo.

Originally posted by Fuji

It's not that bad. As Redlyne said you gotta pay to play... although I guess that is probably 2-3 lease/finance payments haha

IMO the c63/m3/ISF etc aren't really that cheap to service either...

Wait until the 2x,xxxkm service where people have to start replacing pads and rotors for six piston brembos. There's a rude awakening!

Fuji
03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Service is included on the M3, and I doubt the IS-F or C63 will be anything like the GT-R to maintain..

People that think that you can have all that exotic hardware/performance with no cost are kidding themselves..

And for the record, those maintenance costs are far less than any modern Ferrari (F430/F599/F612). Ferrari maintenance would make most people barf.

I guess that it would be more instructive to compare the cost of servicing the GT-R to the service on a 911 Turbo.

Actually you're right it would be make more sense to compare the services to a 911 turbo, since from day one those cars have been compared to the nth degree...

Anyways, the moral really is you don't get something for nothing... >performance= >cost

C4S
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
$2K US ?

means wil be ~ $3K cad here ..

That is the yearly service?? :dunno: how many km on that GTR?
As they have been out for just 9 month here .. oil service is normal, but why need tranny fluid already??

when compare .. 4 yr Free service on M3 .. that is $10K value .. :dunno:

Well .. when I first got my STI back to 03, just after 1 yr ( normal driving no track ) I was quoted $2.4K for brake job ... I guess they were kidding .. :dunno: but the dealer was trying to tell me that is a speical super fast sports car ...

Well, then I sold it right the way !!

you&me
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
That's ridiculous.

Just yesterday I booked the identical service (5k) for a F430. Cost was ~$800.

Go Nissan :thumbsdow

alpha_gangsta
04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, I don't own a turbo 911 but my 09 Targa 4S will cost $308.00 plus tax for it's first servicing at 15,000KM... I'm sure other things might pop up but that's a far cry from what's expected of the GTR.

Sykes
04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Would using non-OEM fluids void the warranty?

Thinking about it now, the cost Motul, etc would end up being an absolute bargain (compared to the OEM stuff)!

gen2teggy
04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
nissan :facepalm:
and i work and drive a nissan.
its gonna be a gravy work tho.

iceburns288
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
amen. This car outhandles, outbrakes, outperforms cars twice its price... you can buy a lot of service for the price difference between this a Porsche 911 TT.
The point of the GT-R is that it should be much less than the 911 in the end to make up for the fact that it's still not a 911 :p

FivE.SeveN
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I still don't see why diff fluid + ATF would be so expensive. I'm sure they have the "Oh it's hi performance" line ready and waiting, but how different is it really?

psycoticclown
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
I still don't see why diff fluid + ATF would be so expensive. I'm sure they have the "Oh it's hi performance" line ready and waiting, but how different is it really?

Different enough that the tranny doesn't blow up.

Oh wait...

sr20s14zenki
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN

As far as i know, Ferarri uses a specially formulated oil in their engines as well.

The bottom line here, is this. This isnt a car for you people who are going to remortgage to get it. If you cant afford these services, this is not the car for you. As others have said, im sure the problems will be rectified in the newer production runs of the GTR as well as the Spec-V. Yes, every veichle has first run problems. For an example, not 100% on this, but i heard that when the Toyota Tundra came out, it had problems with camshafts snapping in half? I know, this isnt a 20,000$ part were talking about, but the principal is the same. As far as im concerned, it will still be a world beating car, once the kinks are worked out. Im still very suprised that nissan's engineers didnt see that coming tho...

95teetee
04-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BlackLight
, but on the road, rolling and trying to merge, or at an impromptu redlight, I think the V will take the R. :whipped: absolutely.

If the GT-R driver isn't racing, you'll take him easily.

hampstor
04-04-2009, 08:40 AM
This thing has been compared to the Z06 thru it's life thus far.

I'm willing to bet that the Z06, and the ZR1's maintenance bills are not nearly this expensive. :thumbsdow

As far as i'm concerned, the term "best bang for the buck" does not apply to this car anymore.

sr20s14zenki
04-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
This thing has been compared to the Z06 thru it's life thus far.

I'm willing to bet that the Z06, and the ZR1's maintenance bills are not nearly this expensive. :thumbsdow

As far as i'm concerned, the term "best bang for the buck" does not apply to this car anymore.

Shut up minh, dont burst my bubble.

:D

hampstor
04-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Shut up minh, dont burst my bubble.

:D

:rofl:

IIRC, the GTR required qualifying dealerships to incur additional training and costs with equipment unique to the maintenance of the GTR. The higher service costs probably help the dealership pay for that.

rizfarmer
04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta
Well, I don't own a turbo 911 but my 09 Targa 4S will cost $308.00 plus tax for it's first servicing at 15,000KM... I'm sure other things might pop up but that's a far cry from what's expected of the GTR.

what does the service involve? that's very hard to believe that your $100k sports car costs as much to maintain as an accord.

syeve
04-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I would pay that kind of money for maitenance. My S4 is $325 for just an oil change, I don't care...if I wanted cheap maintenance I would buy a Niss....never mind.

911fever
04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
see my thread on the new GTR-Spec V
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259157

brakes alone are over 10k on it.

Shunsui
04-11-2009, 02:17 AM

+1 Couldn't of said it any better. When you buy a Nissan GTR, your not buying any Nissan it's the GTR! That's going to stay on my WTB list regardless...

iceburns288
04-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Shunsui
When you buy a Nissan GTR, your not buying any Nissan it's the GTR!
But you're still buying a Nissan...

icky2unk
04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

But you're still buying a Nissan...

Exactly, i don't care how well the car performs. It doesn't have the rightful name to it yet it charges just as much. Not saying the GTR is a bad car, i quite like it. But Charging nearly as much as 300k car maintenance is rediculous.

Canmorite
04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
What if it was a R390 and an oil change was $1000? Definitely not worth it since it's a Nissan and all.

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Not sure how that it matters that it's a Nissan, a car is only as good as the sum of it's parts. The GTR is has a great combination of parts which makes it a great car. Ferrari's, Porsche's etc all great names but many of them are not as good as a performer as the GTR.

iceburns288
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
What if it was a R390 and an oil change was $1000? Definitely not worth it since it's a Nissan and all.
C'mon, you know better than that. The R390 is a 1-of-2 Le Mans homologation car.

alpha_gangsta
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

what does the service involve? that's very hard to believe that your $100k sports car costs as much to maintain as an accord.

It's just an oil change every 15,000KM/1 year. It's still a rather expensive oil change but these cars would be driven much less then an Accord on a typical basis. Every 30,000KM/2Years is a bit more involving but the owner's manual doesn't mention anything major that I can see becoming very costly. The transmission oil change for the PDK isn't even till 90,000KM.

I'm not saying my car is cheap to maintain but I just wanted to throw it out there as a comparison.

Strider
04-15-2009, 02:10 PM

True... but when you take your F430 in for service, you're not getting the same 18 year old kids that normally change the oil on Versas and Sentras all day long screwing around with your $100k+ supercar.