PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Help

vipstyle2
03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
He guys so im finishing Highschool and a buddy and I are thinking about taking some time off of school before post secondary, were thinking about becoming fire fighters given it seems like a good hardworking job with nice pay. Anyway ! anyone know what the hours are like ? felxible or not, im not too sure if its 48 on 48 off if anyone know that help would be great ! thanks

TurboD
03-31-2009, 10:27 PM
nice pay?

not for short term, you don't get nice pay unless you commit to the job as a career.

19.22 the first year per hour
22.24 the second
and so on

i would recommend joining for the long haul, not a gig until you go to school

the application is almost identical to the calgary police application, and they also use polygraph

Shogged
03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

i would recommend joining for the long haul, not a gig until you go to school

bingo! they'll see right through you if you're not in it for the long haul too. I know good guys who wanted to do it for a career since junior high and they didn't make it. You don't get much more dedicated than that.

As for the hours, each department is different, but its more likely that you'll be 2 on and 4 off.

natejj
04-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I'd say you have zero to nil chance of getting in straight out of high school with no real world experience. I have a friend who is 30, degree, been a volunteer fire fighter for 3 years, and still didn't make it. Coulda been a lot of things, but it's tough.

asp integra
04-01-2009, 12:18 AM
also cant have smoked weed for 3 years when applying

ScottysZ
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
CFD works 4 on (2 days, 2 nights), 4 off. Shifts are flexible, you just need to find someone to trade with.
But you wont get in without some kind of completed post secondary and some decent job experience anyways.

slick2404
04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
^ What kind of job experience do they look for. I'm just curious.

Stealth22
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ
CFD works 4 on (2 days, 2 nights), 4 off. Shifts are flexible, you just need to find someone to trade with.
But you wont get in without some kind of completed post secondary and some decent job experience anyways.
:werd:

CPS shifts work the same way. I'm not sure about CFD shift hours, but CPS are 12 hours, 7AM-7PM and 7PM-7AM. I would imagine the ones for Fire are similar.

Becoming a firefighter or police officer isn't something you just do part time...and especially not out of high school. I've been looking into CPS myself after I finish my degree at the U of C, and while the application minimum is 18, they typically don't hire unless you're at least 22-25.

Like TurboD said, the application process is almost identical to that of CPS...and trust me, from what I've looked into for CPS, its pretty intense.

Forgive me for saying so, but it almost seems like you want to become firefighters so you can be seen as one of "Calgary's Bravest"...I'm not trying to discourage you, but CFD is going to tell you to get some life experience first and wait a few years before even applying. CPS and CFD are competitive as far as the application processes go...candidates with university degrees will get hired first.

403Gemini
04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

:werd:

CPS shifts work the same way. I'm not sure about CFD shift hours, but CPS are 12 hours, 7AM-7PM and 7PM-7AM. I would imagine the ones for Fire are similar.

Becoming a firefighter or police officer isn't something you just do part time...and especially not out of high school. I've been looking into CPS myself after I finish my degree at the U of C, and while the application minimum is 18, they typically don't hire unless you're at least 22-25.

Like TurboD said, the application process is almost identical to that of CPS...and trust me, from what I've looked into for CPS, its pretty intense.

Forgive me for saying so, but it almost seems like you want to become firefighters so you can be seen as one of "Calgary's Bravest"...I'm not trying to discourage you, but CFD is going to tell you to get some life experience first and wait a few years before even applying. CPS and CFD are competitive as far as the application processes go...candidates with university degrees will get hired first.

:werd: Police & Fire departments tend to prefer people with real world experience, its why I didn't apply to the police when I passed the PARE test almost 5 years ago... figure they wouldnt even really consider a 21 yr old lol

CokerRat
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
CFD hours are 7:30am-5:30pm and 5:30pm-7:30am -- someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the basic idea, 10/14.

Stealth22
04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
:werd: Police & Fire departments tend to prefer people with real world experience, its why I didn't apply to the police when I passed the PARE test almost 5 years ago... figure they wouldnt even really consider a 21 yr old lol
Might have been worth a shot anyway, if you were in it for the long haul. Worst case, they defer you, and when you apply again, it shows perseverance having the deferral in your file...and having your name in the Recruiting office files to begin with. I know you said you're applying soon..make sure you tell them you tried once already 5 years ago and why you didn't end up applying..it might help you...can't hurt, anyway.

Originally posted by CokerRat
CFD hours are 7:30am-5:30pm and 5:30pm-7:30am -- someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the basic idea, 10/14.
Well, point is, they're similar to the 12-hour runs that CPS do. And I don't mean any disrespect, but I get the impression that the OP and his buddy want to apply to CFD just to gain the 'ego' (for lack of a better word), or to experience the 'thrill' of being a firefighter.

Again, no offense, but to the OP, unless you're planning to do it for the rest of your life (and you don't become a cop/fireman/paramedic for the money or the 'power'), it's not really something that would be for you.

Rohling
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by CokerRat

Those are correct.

Sundays and Holidays we start at 8:30AM!

kolumbo69
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Definately not for the money:cry: lol.

But if your serious about getting into fire I would as a minimum get my EMR, if not even my EMT as it will show more dedication.

Rohling
04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by kolumbo69
Definately not for the money:cry: lol.

But if your serious about getting into fire I would as a minimum get my EMR, if not even my EMT as it will show more dedication.

Dont worry about grabbing this before hand. They have removed the EMR requirement from the application process and now have 2 weeks of EMR certification at the end of training making the total training time 11 weeks now.