PDA

View Full Version : MTB at cop soon

rollinv4l
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
I am just wondering I am looking to go to cop this summer for the mountian bike courses, I am just wondering what other members think of this course, I am just looking to ride the begginer trails as I am just getting into the MTB scene.

Thank you:

Mark

civic_stylez
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Alot of people hate on COP but you will not find a better facility in this city to learn to ride... I have had summer seasons passes there for the last 4 years and its a great place to learn. They have really good beginner trails there and you can gradually build up on the entry runs.. i take alot of my friends there that are learning to ride. All obstacles and jumps have ride arounds if you dont want to hit them so you can build your confidence slowly.

jmil
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Exactly what civic_stylez said.
I work there and I think it is fun.
Last year all the trails were rebuilt and it is more flow and less technical.

msommers
04-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm assuming this is all downhill stuff? Do you need a full helmet and pads to be let on?

Mitsu3000gt
04-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm assuming this is all downhill stuff? Do you need a full helmet and pads to be let on?

The only requirement is that you wear a helmet. There are some people I see who ride completely rigid bikes and wear a standard trail helmet lol. I have seen these people trying to go down the DH course. Those are the people who get owned and/or end up blocking the trail for everyone else. I wouldn't recommend doing any sort of DH riding without a full face helmet, and goggles really help as well with dust/mud (better than sunglasses).

Shin guards are a must for a DH bike, mostly because the pedals have sharp screws in them to keep your shoes planted on them, and if that comes flying around and hits you in the bare shin, few things are more painful (I speak from experience lol). Body armor (arms, back, and chest protection) isn't a necessity, but most guys wear it and its a very good idea. I don't find it gets in the way at all, and it's saved me from several injuries. The built in kidney belt is nice too. Gloves are good for obvious reasons as well.

Although it is all technically "downhill", there are a couple of trails at COP that you could ride a hard tail on, but honestly most of the hill (and all the best trails) are best enjoyed with a free ride or DH bike.

I agree it is the perfect place to learn to ride DH, and then when you head out to one of the big hills like Panorama, Kicking Horse, etc. it will absolutely blow your mind.

My only criticism of COP is that it gets boring FAST. I could never have a seasons pass there - it only takes ~2-5 min to get down the hill depending on what trail you take and there aren't that many. Also, the dirt jumpers don't always use their designated area and they go find some of the tabletops on the DH courses, line up & crowd them, and its a major hazard for the DH guys coming flying down the hill into a big crowd of kids.

If you're thinking of taking your hard tail there, you will probably get bored after a couple of hours. You can do some of the harder trails but its my opinion that you will have to be going too slow to have a lot of fun (or to avoid damage to your bike, although most "intense" sections have ride arounds). If you want, you can rent a bike there and try it out - it will give you a good indication as to if you might want to buy a second bike and get into DH/Freeride.

Supa Dexta
04-03-2009, 04:29 AM
If anyone sees this bike, let me know

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7460/atomikzj8.jpg

msommers
04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mits:thumbsup:

Scope951
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
at COP you really would not require a course to learn.

You spend the day riding the beginner trails/singletrack trails then you will naturally become more interested.

COP is great for beginners.