PDA

View Full Version : Daily Lunch Specials - U of C Engineering Cafe

nonlinear
04-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm also a huge proponent of cafeteria hot lunches, because they are cheap, nutritious, and the menu varies so you never have to worry about what to eat or getting bored eating the same thing for days in a row.

Luckily, there are a couple of old school cafeterias (think elementary and high school) hidden out of the way on the U of C campus. There is one in Education and one in Engineering - and there may be more. I've never eaten at the Edu location, because it's way too busy and I'm never on that side of campus, but I have been to the engineering location many times and it's fucking awesome. I love the weird lady that works there - she sure takes good care of us hungry people!

Here's the daily special menu (can't remember all the prices):

Monday - Chickenburger w/ Soup $5.50
Tuesday - Sausage and Perogies
Wednesday - lasagna (w/ bun perhaps)
Thursday - Chili w/ Bun
Friday - Burrito $3.50 or 2 for $6

I've had the chili (good, you get cheese and sour cream too), burritos (meh, but would eat again), and just last monday I had the Chickenburger and soup (cream of mushroom). It was pretty good for $5.50, although the bun was too big for the chicken patty so there was too high of a bun:meat ratio. All you have to do is not eat all the bread though.

and, on monday, the other soup option was sausage noodle soup LMFAO. :rofl: . I'm not kidding. it was like some cheap ass sausage with a fake brown/red casing, cut into coins and boiled in the soup!!! aaahahahahahhahaha. that, my friends, is a bit overboard if you ask me :nut:

Darkane
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
too high of a bun:meat ratio.

Is this an often occurrence for you? :poosie:

msommers
04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
The sandwich place beside Tim's in MFH isn't bad...eating at school is expensive as fuck though :(

badatusrnames
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
The perogies are ok, but I wish the sausage was a real sausage, not some crummy smokie. But I guess you can't complain for ~$5.00.

nonlinear
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
do you know what the filling in the perogies is?

szw
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I've eaten a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches from that place. They use the shredded cheddar cheese and not the slice of kraft processed cheese.

nonlinear
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
that would be awesome if they ever have tomato soup. grilled cheese + tomato soup = radical.

Aleks
04-02-2009, 02:13 PM
That big old grumpy lady still work there?

Aleks
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by szw
I've eaten a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches from that place. They use the shredded cheddar cheese and not the slice of kraft processed cheese.

I used to get extra beef chunks in mine from the unwashed knife she used :barf:

nonlinear
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I used to get extra beef chunks in mine from the unwashed knife she used :barf:

ask her not to cut it :dunno:

Aleks
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM

ask her not to cut it :dunno:

Haha this was many years ago. Haven't been back since I graduated so I doubt it's even the same people working there.

nonlinear
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
the woman that works there has been working there forever, so i bet it's the same woman. i don't really want to describe her physically because i really like her and i don't want to offend anyone, but if it's the same woman you should know what i mean. but i really like her, she's always super nice to me and really likes to talk me up when i go in.

Mr.Buffy
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Have you tried paying with a $20 bill yet?

She used to absolutely crap her pants when you paid with a $20.

88coupe
04-02-2009, 02:46 PM
$20s? I wouldn't know, I don't carry such small denominations. She used to blow up when I paid with $100 C-notes because that's how I roll.

dandia89
04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Buffy
Have you tried paying with a $20 bill yet?

She used to absolutely crap her pants when you paid with a $20.
hahah, i'm glad i'm not alone on that

Disoblige
04-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
The perogies are ok, but I wish the sausage was a real sausage, not some crummy smokie. But I guess you can't complain for ~$5.00.

Last semester, I came a little late and they were running low, so twice I got 2 smokies + 3-4 perogies. Then I asked for a hotdog bun and they gave me one too. Oh well, can't really complain there :D .. But boy does it hit you half an hour later.. Can't sit in class without feeling like I need to talk a long walk.

Dehvee
04-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Breakfast sandwich ftmfw! Their Cream of Broccoli soup is also very good.

bball2
04-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I haven't had anything from there in a while but my faves are:

Breakfast sandwiches
Sausage / perogies
Lasagna (w/ salad and garlic toast)

nonlinear
04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
oh yea, their breakfast is awesome, and a steal at $3 or whatever ridiculously low price it is. definitely the best breakfast on campus.

Ebon
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Where is this place in ENGG? I've only ever seen the education one.

sabad66
04-04-2009, 12:43 PM
i think its called allegro cafe or something and its in the engg lounge

trliniar
04-06-2009, 01:51 AM
does the one in education offer the same deals? never saw any perogies at the educ? pizza and the fresh sandwiches seem like a big hit

TomcoPDR
04-06-2009, 02:04 AM
i've been eating at the U of C since 2001

You going to be a doctor?

ZenOps
04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Yup, U of C engi cafeteria is one of the best for a real lunch on campus.

If you are on the cheap and are in the south side of town in the morning - the $1 Ikea breakfast is pretty good - all except the fake eggs.

bball2
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
Where is this place in ENGG? I've only ever seen the education one.

In the Engg lounge - E block