PDA

View Full Version : City of Calgary

PepsiCola
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey there, I am new here.

I just had a few questions.

Has anyone worked for the city of Calgary as a summer student or term work in the municipal building?

What have been your experiences?

I am talking about a research analyst job for the City...can anyone give me any idea as to how that would be like?

cressida_pimpin
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I haven't worked there, but I have an interview next week for a Market Research Assistant (summer) position with the City of Calgary. So I would also be interested in hearing from people.

PepsiCola
04-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
I haven't worked there, but I have an interview next week for a Market Research Assistant (summer) position with the City of Calgary. So I would also be interested in hearing from people.

Hey, with what department is this for and what are you majoring in? Also how are you going about preparing for this? I lost the description of the job I got interviews for and I don't think there is any way to look at it again once the deadlines have passed..lol...

cressida_pimpin
04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by PepsiCola

Hey, with what department is this for and what are you majoring in? Also how are you going about preparing for this? I lost the description of the job I got interviews for and I don't think there is any way to look at it again once the deadlines have passed..lol...

Same here, I don't have the job description anymore, and I also don't know what department it's for. I have a Bachelor of Management (great distinction) from the University of Lethbridge and I'm starting my MBA (marketing) at the University of Calgary in September. How about you?

As for preparation, going over some behavioural descriptive interview questions, fine tuning my cover letter and resume and putting together a portfolio of some of my past research work.

PepsiCola
04-03-2009, 01:04 AM

Same here, I don't have the job description anymore, and I also don't know what department it's for. I have a Bachelor of Management (great distinction) from the University of Lethbridge and I'm starting my MBA (marketing) at the University of Calgary in September. How about you?

As for preparation, going over some behavioural descriptive interview questions, fine tuning my cover letter and resume and putting together a portfolio of some of my past research work.

There is actually an interview section at the City of Calgary website, you should check it out. I am not sure if they ask you any "What if ..." questions, i believe they like to get right to the point, at least thats what the site tells you.

I am currently enrolled in Economics & Applied Energy Concentration, with a minor in Management.

Hopefully its not the same job we're competing with...

cressida_pimpin
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I don' think it's the same job. Mine is Research Assistant and I also saw a Research Analyst job (what you are going for)

PepsiCola
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I don' think it's the same job. Mine is Research Assistant and I also saw a Research Analyst job (what you are going for)

Hey man, did you have your interview yet? If so, how was it like, what kinda of questions...is it necessary you bring past research material?

leftwing
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
has anyone else heard from the city? i applied for 5 jobs about 2 months ago (just summer/student/apprentice jobs) and when i check my online application status on the website one job says "requistion cancelled" so i guess they filled that one but the other 4 say "final screening process" and they have said that for about a month now. and i still havent heard anything. and all my friends who applied to work to parks and whatnot havent heard anything yet either......anyone know why?

gqmw
04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I believe people have been contacted already, so if you have not received a call, they did not think your resume was worth pursuing.

vengie
04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
has anyone else heard from the city? i applied for 5 jobs about 2 months ago (just summer/student/apprentice jobs) and when i check my online application status on the website one job says "requistion cancelled" so i guess they filled that one but the other 4 say "final screening process" and they have said that for about a month now. and i still havent heard anything. and all my friends who applied to work to parks and whatnot havent heard anything yet either......anyone know why?

im in the same boat, im a class 1 driver and have yet to hear back... its been about a month :dunno:

cressida_pimpin
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I had my interview with the city last wednesday for a summer internship. I'm pretty sure they are done interviewing for that type of job.

leftwing
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
ahh i see.

well i didnt want the job anyway...

haha

cressida_pimpin
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Just heard back from the City, I landed the Market Research Assistant position... stoked!:D

I had my interview last Wednesday so they are making offers now. Just to keep others posted if they also had interviews

leftwing
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
cressidapimpin what are you qualifications if you dont mind? like do you got previous city of calgary experience? whats your education situation? i assume your a current student, what year and what program?

cressida_pimpin
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
cressidapimpin what are you qualifications if you dont mind? like do you got previous city of calgary experience? whats your education situation? i assume your a current student, what year and what program?

The interview at the city was pretty hardcore. All behavioural interview questions and you have to answer in the STAR format. They write down your answers and give you points on each answer.

MBA - Marketing, September 2009 to December 2010
University of Calgary

Bachelor of Management (great distinction) - General Management, 2008
University of Lethbridge

Marketing Management Diploma - 2007
Mount Royal College

No City of Calgary work experience. Two years blue collar management.

vtec96
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM

The interview at the city was pretty hardcore. All behavioural interview questions and you have to answer in the STAR format. They write down your answers and give you points on each answer.

When did you applied for the job and how long did you wait for interview?

cressida_pimpin
04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
They contacted me three weeks after the closing date. I forgot I had even applied to that job. We then scheduled an interview 8 days ahead.

The interview comes down to having quality situations to discuss and knowing how to use the STAR format.

jahobo
04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
ive just been hired on as well with the city to work in the municipal building

it took 2 months for the whole process to go through.

i basically checked my profile on the city job site to see what was going on with the jobs i applied for. Once you see status as final screen, you should recieve a phone call from them to set up interview, after the interview it took them a month to call me and offer me a position.

the interview usually is with two ppl, switching persons for each new question. My interview was about 30mins long and all the questions were basically situational questions.

i also got another interview for another city position and its the same format when i began that one as well with 2 interviewers.

too bad i couldnt do both positions cause of the union, it wouldve been great

trevh
04-25-2009, 07:39 AM
I just got hired on with the city too. From when I applied to being hired on it took me a week. I start monday.

Jim Rome99
04-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Pepsi_boy
I just got hired on with the city too. From when I applied to being hired on it took me a week. I start monday.

If you don't mind me asking, what position did you get? I have a friend looking for a landscaping job with the city.

cressida_pimpin
04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
How long it takes all depends on when you apply and when the posting closes. If the position is posted on the site from April 3 - April 30, and you apply on the 3rd it will take a long time. However, if you apply on the last day of the posting (the 30th) then you may hear back two weeks after you applied.

City Hall is sweet. I'm excited to work there.