PDA

View Full Version : Evo & SRT4

MrX
10-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Had a chance to sit in the evo 8 today at the dealers, but obviously not a chance in hell to test drive the car. First time I've actually had the opportunity to see this beast up close. Has all the right bits to it, but still I don't like how it looks.

Went to the Dodge dealership next door and talked to the sales rep for a while about the SRT4....then took it out for a quick rip! It sure is one peppy little car. Only had a short time out, so I was able to get her up to the top of 3rd on a couple of straights. Power was 230hp, with 250lb/ft of torque. All three gears pulled hard, and boost crept to 16psi on hard acccel on 3rd, but levels out at 14psi, Oh, LSD helped too coming out of a couple of intersections (the sales rep's face looked kind like this :eek: ) hahahahaha
The car felt solid around corners, and the factory racing seats kept you planted in there really well. Stock comes with a short shifter, and a rather nice deep sounding exhaust.

Overall impression of the SRT4 is it has a lot of potential for the price you pay, however, overall, it is put together rather cheaply, but for 22K USD as compared to the Evo's 32K USD price tag, you get what you pay for.

szw
10-18-2003, 10:00 PM
I thought the SRT has no LSD until next year.

MrX
10-18-2003, 10:07 PM
either I drove an 04 with , or 03 without. I may have mistaken the year of the demo car. Did the hp/ torque get a bump for the 04 year as well?? Or was that just some dealer BS?

link785
10-18-2003, 11:05 PM
The SRT-4 can be ordered with factory turbo upgrades, or "stage" upgrades if you want to call them that.

speedracer
10-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by MrX
either I drove an 04 with , or 03 without. I may have mistaken the year of the demo car. Did the hp/ torque get a bump for the 04 year as well?? Or was that just some dealer BS?

Figures have been revised since they were slightly *cough* under rated. US models are getting LSD. Canadian models were released first with LSD along with a few power adders that the US spec will not get :D

As for the interior it's no different than what you would pay for the same price for any car :dunno:

Skyline_Addict
10-19-2003, 03:18 AM
sweet, when did the evo8 (or any of the evos for that matter) get here?

rice_eater
10-19-2003, 03:47 AM
he lives in chicago dude

MrX
10-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

As for the interior it's no different than what you would pay for the same price for any car :dunno:

True dat.

That's why I said you get what you pay for. You get the recaro interior with the EVO, but the price tag is also reflective of the bits you get.

Nonetheless, the Neon still get the :thumbsup: by me :)

Eric Happy Meal
10-19-2003, 01:15 PM
are you gonna check out the STI?

Seanith
10-19-2003, 01:23 PM

Figures have been revised since they were slightly *cough* under rated. US models are getting LSD. Canadian models were released first with LSD along with a few power adders that the US spec will not get :D

Since when do we get the SRT-4 in canada? we get that shitty one instead.

szw
10-19-2003, 01:25 PM
SRT-4 is already in canada

Aleks
10-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by MrX

Yes they bumped the numbers this year. There is a thread on here somewhere showing a dyno run in Edmonton by a stock str4 pulling ~245 hp and 275 ft/lbs of torque :eek:

http://www.apexmodified.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=425

googe
10-19-2003, 02:00 PM
From what I saw, the SRT-4 was more on par with the WRX in terms of performance, being able to touch the evo would be out of the question. Did they get better?

Still seems like pretty good bang for buck though.

teknical
10-19-2003, 11:24 PM
I rather like the SRT4, nice little car, I saw tons while down in the states, and I'd def consider buying one.

Skyline_Addict
10-20-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
he lives in chicago dude

right right my bad.

when're the evos coming to Canada?

lammer
10-20-2003, 02:00 AM
tommrow at 3 pm eastern.

EK 2.0
10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
We have no SRT-4's up here...the FMIC doesn't pass crash standards...

Altezza
10-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
We have no SRT-4's up here...the FMIC doesn't pass crash standards...

I think you got that confused with the EVO. SRT-4 is here.

4wheeldrift
10-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
We have no SRT-4's up here...the FMIC doesn't pass crash standards... Dodge cheated to get them up here. They are putting the intercooler in a "trunk kit" and shipping the cars minus the FMIC. Once the car arrives at its destination the dealer installs the intercooler and the car is ready to go. Devious? Hell yes, but it works. Don't be surprised if mitsu does something similar.

teknical
10-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Dodge cheated to get them up here. They are putting the intercooler in a "trunk kit" and shipping the cars minus the FMIC. Once the car arrives at its destination the dealer installs the intercooler and the car is ready to go. Devious? Hell yes, but it works. Don't be surprised if mitsu does something similar.

sneaky sneaky :nut:

EK 2.0
10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Thats SO cool...for once Chrysler is doing something smart...I guess first time for everything huh??...Now I am waiting for my EVO, with the "trunk mounted" intercooler...Time to trade in the DSM...

speedracer
10-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Dodge cheated to get them up here. They are putting the intercooler in a "trunk kit" and shipping the cars minus the FMIC. Once the car arrives at its destination the dealer installs the intercooler and the car is ready to go. Devious? Hell yes, but it works. Don't be surprised if mitsu does something similar.
That's not the option they took - All SRT4's have FMIC at delivery.

As a moot point if this was the case there would be problems for stock classification for road racing and rally.

4wheeldrift
10-20-2003, 05:36 PM

That's not the option they took - All SRT4's have FMIC at delivery.

As a moot point if this was the case there would be problems for stock classification for road racing and rally. How are they getting them in? Last I heard they failed the front impact tests several times.