PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Old Engine Bay

BlackFyre
04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Here's the deal, under my hood looks like the Queen's vagina, It's dusty, dirty, and kinda stinky. Once I get the car back from the mechanic, I want to clean it up a bit under there. What do you guys find works best? I was planning to take it to the coin car wash with a bottle of citrus engine degreaser, spray it down, let it sit for a bit and power wash that shit.

Other than covering the air filter, BOV, and maybe the fuse box just in case, can you think of anything else that may cause a problem?

Also, what works best for you guys? Keeping in mind she's an older gal and doesn't have none 'a dem fancy plastic covers n shit.

buh_buh
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Simple Green + Water

GQBalla
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
spray and spray simple green, soak for 20 minutes, spray again and than soak.

than have at her.

BlackFyre
04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
http://canada.simplegreen.com/products_family_en.php

which one do you guys use?

GQBalla
04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
the first one.

you can also use engine degreaser if you would like, but after you do that i would suggest you not turn on your vents for a while, or keep your vents on for a while to let the fumes go away

EK 2.0
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

Simple Green + Water

And elbow grease for the stubborn shit...

Mibz
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
About a year ago I bought the 4L jugs of Simple Green from Superstore on the cheap.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Compressed air after is a must.

I had an already weak alternator and I washed my truck's engine on friday, only to have it fail on sunday.

I blew the engine off after I was done, but I basically forgot to blow off the alternator in my hurry. I only bothered with connections and my distributor cap.

Generally water wont hurt any good components, but will cause poor components to fail earlier. So blowing everything off is a really good idea. Especially ignition and charging parts.

crez
04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I use body shop quality wax and grease remover for some of it. Simple Green will not get off the oil based contaminants as well. The best thing is to use it for all of the greasy contamination, and possibly the simple green for any water based contamination.

ExtraSlow
04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Or you can pay to have the engine steam cleaned of you are lazy. Works like a darn.