PDA

View Full Version : North Korea missle launch as early as Saturday.

ZenOps
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/02/north.korea.missiles/index.html

Three stage Taepodong-2, which has the capacity to hit California and Mexico, but probably not Vancouver.

Its fuelling up on the launchpad at Musudan-Ri right now (impossible to hide from satellites, even google earth) - so as early as Saturday for a launch attempt.

KRyn
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I got $5 it will explode when they try launching it.

nonlinear
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
I got $5 it will explode when they try launching it.

hahha that would be fucking awesome LOL. especially if it didn't make it off the launch pad and the fuel tank caught on fire or something stupid like that :nut:

sr20s14zenki
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Maybe if we're lucky, Kim Jong Il will be spectating and a random piece of shrapnel will take off his head.

"so ronery, im so ronery"

01RedDX
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM

ChappedLips
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Maybe if we're lucky, Kim Jong Il will be spectating and a random piece of shrapnel will take off his head.

"so ronery, im so ronery"

:rofl: :rofl:

I think they are going to be even more pissed off if they fail miserably.

We need a Starcraft tournament between North and South Korea to settle this battle

Eleanor
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ChappedLips
We need a Starcraft tournament between North and South Korea to settle this battle :rofl:

And :rofl: x 2 at taepodong

TorqueDog
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
God damn it, there was this hilarious segment on The Daily Show where Rob Corddry is reporting on the Taepodong, and I can't find the fucker anywhere.

B20EF
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I was in South Korea a few weeks ago, they don't seem to know or care about this at all. It's just the US making a big deal out of nothing.

djayz
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Musudan-Ri&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.59616,93.164063&ie=UTF8&ll=40.850104,129.666886&spn=0.002374,0.005686&t=h&z=18

I see nothing there that would worry anyone...

TorqueDog
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
The Daily Show - Kim Possible (http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart/correspondents/daily-show-rob-corddry/#clip13247)

:rofl:

Eleanor
04-02-2009, 11:24 PM
^ :rofl: I miss Rob Corddry :(

Destinova403
04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by djayz
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Musudan-Ri&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.59616,93.164063&ie=UTF8&ll=40.850104,129.666886&spn=0.002374,0.005686&t=h&z=18

I see nothing there that would worry anyone...

noticed something interesting...

zoom in on any of their cities and you really dont see like any cars...

KRyn
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I am not sure what they are going to strap to this piece of shit. The one nuclear test that North Korea did was reported to be unsuccessful. Perhaps they will fill it with ‘cream of sum hung guy’ haha.

badatusrnames
04-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

noticed something interesting...

zoom in on any of their cities and you really dont see like any cars...

Yup, compare Pyongyang with wide open, empty boulevards:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pyongyang&sll=40.850104,129.666886&sspn=0.00213,0.004807&ie=UTF8&ll=39.03692,125.726144&spn=0.00875,0.019226&t=h&z=16

to Seoul:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=seoul&sll=39.03692,125.726144&sspn=0.00875,0.019226&ie=UTF8&ll=37.557625,126.973339&spn=0.004465,0.009613&t=h&z=17

Even more telling is the satellite image of the two Korea's at night:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/images/dprk-dmsp-dark.jpg

eblend
04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Google for pics from North Korea by some russian tourist. He took so many shots of the empty roads, its pretty amazing. There is no such thing as rush hour. Car owners dream

alloroc
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/02/north.korea.missiles/index.html

Three stage Taepodong-2, which has the capacity to hit California and Mexico, but probably not Vancouver.

Its fuelling up on the launchpad at Musudan-Ri right now (impossible to hide from satellites, even google earth) - so as early as Saturday for a launch attempt.

Fuck can you say anything without making shit up? South Korea is more than 1000 km closer to canada than the southern USA and North Korea is even closer.

Vancouver to Seoul 8,172 km
Los Angeles to Seoul 9,621 km

mac_82
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

Fuck can you say anything without making shit up? South Korea is more than 1000 km closer to canada than the southern USA and North Korea is even closer.

I was about to mention that :werd:

Tomaz
04-03-2009, 08:14 AM

Pearl Harbour? :dunno:

n1zm0
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Google for pics from North Korea by some russian tourist. He took so many shots of the empty roads, its pretty amazing. There is no such thing as rush hour. Car owners dream

like this, as the comments say Pyongyang was mostly built during the better times of the cold war with soviet funding, so there were probably alot more cars at one point, probably why the roads are huge. or maybe they are for the once a year military parade :nut:
dSOgzFDjtBY

damn i was going to post that last night on the iphone, totally didnt work out lol, Zenops still thinks that the world is flat like a map :rofl: the great circle routes are just lies!

ZenOps
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM

I dont think distance is the only factor. Rotational momentum at the equator must be factored in as well - its why they call it rocket science.

Technically, you can fly something straight up, and have it drop back down anywhere on the planet if you get it high enough. IE: Fly it straight up at the north or south pole, and it will always land at the north or south pole. Fly it up at the equator, and it can land at any longitude or achieve orbit - and circle the earth many times per hour.

em2ab
04-03-2009, 09:17 AM

I dont think distance is the only factor. Rotational momentum at the equator must be factored in as well - its why they call it rocket science.

Technically, you can fly something straight up, and have it drop back down anywhere on the planet if you get it high enough.
That would require the object encountering resistance outside the earth's atmosphere. That'd have to be pretty high.

n1zm0
04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Technically, you can fly something straight up, and have it drop back down anywhere on the planet if you get it high enough.

you're right, this particular missile also has the capability to launch satellites... so if it can do that why would it be able to drop like a lawn dart and hit california/mexico but not vancouver ? :nut:

ZenOps
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, according to Mr Il, this is for launching satellites (depending if you want to believe or not) - so it will be heading to the equator.

If he points it anywhere but the equator or a LEO orbit, it will cause an uproar.

BTW: I think it takes like at least 3x more fuel to fly an ICBM over the poles than to simply fly it up at the equator if you want to go the same distance. It was calculated to determine how many of Russias missles had the capacity for a polar "sneak attack" on the US many years ago.

n1zm0
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
no no, i calling you out on your comment about distance :

:dunno:

nonlinear
04-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
I was in South Korea a few weeks ago, they don't seem to know or care about this at all. It's just the US making a big deal out of nothing.

it's because the launch is intended to provoke the US by testing an intercontinental ballistic missile. it has nothing to do with south korea :rolleyes:

i say the US just shoot the fucking thing outta the sky.

alloroc
04-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Technically, you can fly something straight up, and have it drop back down anywhere on the planet if you get it high enough. IE: Fly it straight up at the north or south pole, and it will always land at the north or south pole. Fly it up at the equator, and it can land at any longitude or achieve orbit - and circle the earth many times per hour.

Wow this gets richer by the minute.

Rotational momentum at the equator? Rotational momentum of what?
WTF?
What does the equator have to do with travelling from Korea to Vancouver?

Let me teach you some real rocket science but I know it won't get through to you because you live in a fantasy.

NK is launching a BALLISTIC Missile - a rocket - and a lousy one at that.
Yes it can go to orbit. but ...
If you orbit it then you need an even bigger payload because the payload needs to have rockets of it's own in order to come back to earth and intertial guidance and computers and power - its too hard to do to become practical not to mention I doubt (well I know) that NK missile lacks the payload capacity to launch something that big nor does Korea have the technology.

In other words a BALLISTIC Missiel follows a BALLISTIC Trajectory and does not go 'around and around'

Add in the fact that the earth rotates edit: west to east so the only way to make a 6000 km missile reach north America is to launch it Over the pole. ergo the freaking thing would hardly reach Fairbanks never mind California and would probably actually fall somewhere in Russia because it is a piece of shit- unless they reduced to payload to light chemical weapons.

BUT if you think China and Russia would just sit back and condone NK in launching a missile ( an unreliable missile with a dangerous payload) over their soil so that NK could attack North America you are a RETARD.

This is all about money NK is hard up and this research is keeping the economy alive not to mention the fact that Iran will be the likely buyer (if the rest of the world doesn't block shipment)

ZenOps
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
The standard accepted military distance (if there is such a thing) of any rocket is based on a payload of one critical mass of uranium and the necessary equipment to trigger it (which can be as simple as a mechanical lever or a half pound of high explosives.)

NK had the capacity to put up a 10 pound satellite that can circle the earth with its old two stage (if it didn't blow up that is)

But there is little point in putting 10 pounds of conventional explosive in a $300 million rocket - just to drop it on the other side of the earth.

Assuming a highly enriched Uranium-235 sphere, the final "payload" would weigh at least 52 kilograms + triggering mechanism.

HiTempguy1
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
So, how sketchy is this whole thing?

I mean, in reality, do we really have to be THAT worried about NK? It strikes me as a country that will make a lot of noise but not much else. I mean, could you imagine a country that size attacking a western/western european country? They'd be annihilated off the face of the planet (IMO).

revelations
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Its all about the noise "we want attention on ourselves" .

Some of these dictators are so vane they probably watch CNN and see how much mention is made of them and their country - and if not, then its time to make some noise!

Anomaly
04-03-2009, 01:30 PM
It just gives them one more bargaining chip with the US and other regional powers

DonJuan
04-03-2009, 02:27 PM

... In other words a BALLISTIC Missiel follows a BALLISTIC Trajectory and does not go 'around and around' ...

All that and you cant spell "Missile."

I agree, it's all just a bunch of posturing to gain some sort of bargaining advantage.

Their nuclear program is probably just something they put together during daylight hours only. Cuz they obviously don't have lightbulbs.

I'm suprised Mr. Jong Il didn't name it "Kim Jong's Dong"

Kavy
04-03-2009, 06:53 PM
The standard accepted military distance (if there is such a thing) of any rocket is based on a payload of one critical mass of uranium and the necessary equipment to trigger it (which can be as simple as a mechanical lever or a half pound of high explosives.)

NK had the capacity to put up a 10 pound satellite that can circle the earth with its old two stage (if it didn't blow up that is)

But there is little point in putting 10 pounds of conventional explosive in a $300 million rocket - just to drop it on the other side of the earth.

Assuming a highly enriched Uranium-235 sphere, the final "payload" would weigh at least 52 kilograms + triggering mechanism.

jesus, you copy and paste a lot.

I googled what you wrote, thanks for the effort, add some of your own thoughts next time.

B20EF
04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

it's because the launch is intended to provoke the US by testing an intercontinental ballistic missile. it has nothing to do with south korea :rolleyes:

i say the US just shoot the fucking thing outta the sky.

And if it provokes the US and they do something, wouldn't you be worried being a neighbor to North Korea? Do you know hoe close Seoul is to the border.

ZenOps
04-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Satellites that are not geostationary do not need retro-rockets to come back down to earth.

They will all eventually burn up in the atmosphere under their own orbits, which are all decay orbits. The reason there is active propulsion on some LEO satellites are to stay up as long as possible - they are never used to bring a satellite back down to earth. Gravity will do that quickly enough.

Sputnik 1 stayed a whole three months in orbit, which is excellent considering it was just a sphere with some antennae trailing behind it. Circled the earth every 96 minutes for those three months too - so it had "just a few" clicks on the odometer, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1

At 83.6 kilograms it was assumed that it was an unofficial test to confirm that a nuke (critical mass uranium + trigger) could be placed in orbit. Sounds oddly farmiliar no? If you can put something into orbit, then no place on the earth is beyond your reach.

The reason there is active propulsion on a geostationary satellite - is to keep it "in box" because the moons gravitational pull does not keep it in a perfect orbit.

At the current rate of North Koreas propulsion technology - It would probably be about 9 years before they could put a nuke (if they have one) or at least the equivalent mass of a nuke into orbit.

alloroc
04-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan

All that and you cant spell "Missile."

Typo - I didn't have my personal secretary type it out for me.
:rolleyes:

ZenOps
04-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Too windy to launch. No fireworks for today.

pyroza
04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/04/north.korea.rocket/index.html

Kim Jong is such an attention whore

badatusrnames
04-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Interesting how the US & Japan backed down and didn't intercept like they initially indicated (or it's likely they never really intended to).

Beerking
04-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Yawn.....

dubbster
04-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Nothing will happen. Sanctions do not work and the US and allies are in no position to pursue military action. We've been through this before.

gstone
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Looks like the launch was successful. This was confirmed by the Japanese and S.Korea govn'ts. North Korea claims that this rocket would be used for communication purposes...

Canmorite
04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Hanz brix ahh noo...breakin ma bawls here Hanz breakin my bawls.

ZenOps
04-05-2009, 05:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/05/us.nkorea.reaction/index.html

Reports are sketchy - but it appears two objects from a single missle/rocket have fallen into the ocean.

"Preliminary data show that two objects, likely boosters from the rocket, apparently fell around Japan -- one in the Sea of Japan and one in the Pacific Ocean."

IMO, there is more than a good chance that those objects are the first two stages of the new three stage rocket. The western media would like nothing more than to report a failed launch (like the old two stage) and that does not appear to be the case right now. When these things fail - the explosion is kind of hard to miss.

So - It looks like Kim Jong Il has sucessfully orbited something. I fully expect that within the next two weeks he will tell the UN the frequency and LEO tradgectory of his satellite - and tell them to listen in. 52 kilogram nuclear weaponry in the one million pounds of TNT range is actually simpler to develop by comparison (obviously true of North Korea, as they finished their test three years before they managed to put something in orbit)

Unfortunately - no place on earth is beyond his reach now. It is amazing however - that such a tiny independant/secluded nation with technically a very low GDP - can actually orbit something.

He now has both pieces of the puzzle, nuclear capability and the means to put it any place on the planet. Negotiations have just been forced. If I were a betting man - I'd say that he played an excellent hand, perhaps he may ask for 100 billion to stop armament right now - or maybe its not about money (the biggest fear)

Toma
04-05-2009, 05:04 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7984254.stm

too bad.

Supa Dexta
04-05-2009, 05:16 AM
failed missles, and toma quoting American military.. The world is falling apart for zenops.

ZenOps
04-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Toma

too bad.

BBC, shame on you.

It would be impossible to recover a failed last stage of a rocket before it fell into the ocean. Other than an explosion signifying catastrophic failure - it would be equally impossible to tell if the final stage seperated properly, or stayed attached.

Irresponsible reporting. You might as well tell people that you can actually recover bodies from a failed space shuttle launch too. Aren't they the same people who said that North Korea didn't test a nuke sucessfully because it was only a 1 kiloton (1 million pounds of TNT) blast on the Richter scale?

However regardless, even though flown over Japan, it was on an orbit tradgectory. If they were aiming for say California, the tradgectory would have been much lower. That it was definitely at least flown over Japan is of great concern in itself. It is possible for North Korea to get something into orbit without having to fly it over Japan...

syeve
04-05-2009, 09:55 AM

too bad.

That's just what they want you to believe...

syeve
04-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Hakkola
04-05-2009, 11:05 AM

BBC, shame on you.

It would be impossible to recover a failed last stage of a rocket before it fell into the ocean. Other than an explosion signifying catastrophic failure - it would be equally impossible to tell if the final stage seperated properly, or stayed attached.

Irresponsible reporting.

However regardless, even though flown over Japan, it was on an orbit tradgectory.

You trust North Korea over the BBC?

Who the fuck said anything about recovering a failed stage before it fell into the ocean?

Trajectory.

:facepalm:

nonlinear
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

You trust North Korea over the BBC?

Who the fuck said anything about recovering a failed stage before it fell into the ocean?

:facepalm:

zenops being a bit alarmist here and also giving waaaaay too much credit where absolutely none is due. "there is no where that is out of his reach" muhahhahahaha. what is this, some kind of summer blockbuster action flick? i'm sorry, but it really doesn't matter, as the country is broke, the infrastructrue, sucks, they can't even provide electricity to their populace, yet you expect they could mobilize an attack anywhere in the world? they couldn't even organize a circle jerk.

i don't know for sure what happened to the rocket, but i would definitely believe western authorities over north Korean authorities .

zenops, private space travel is already a reality. do you think it's coincidental the US is ending the shuttle program? nah - they're gonna hire private contractors instead, who will do it cheaper and better. this silly rocket that may or may not have made orbit isn't the huge deal you make it out to be.

badatusrnames
04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
a 1 kiloton (1 million pounds of TNT) blast on the Richter scale?

Lol wut?

ZenOps
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
If they said that three stages fell in the ocean - then it might be more believeable that it did not make it. There are now some reports that all three stages fell. News agencies just seem to make this up as they go along.

Although the third stage could be in Egypt before anyone knew it did not make it. That does not make it any more or less of a concern to most. I'm actually more concerned if it was not a satellite - that would mean it was more of a missle attempt.

The US military is just about as reliable as North Korea is as a news source, each has a bias as to how "successful" it was. If North Koreas aim was to put an object into orbit - or simply see how far they could lob a heavy object is up to some debate.

The British and US called the North Korean nuclear test a failure because it only achieved a 5.4 on the Richter scale of earthquakes, and not the full yeild 5.9. Does that mean its a failure?

I fear for the safety of the world if this was a "failed satellite launch" because that means it was a "successful missle lob".

CUG
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
We would wreck North Korea now. LOLing at the military specialists here who've determined that the rest of the world is in "no position" to stop a shithole country like that from attempting missile launches on the free world.

Lick my asshole

nadroj23
04-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by CUG
We would wreck North Korea now. LOLing at the military specialists here who've determined that the rest of the world is in "no position" to stop a shithole country like that from attempting missile launches on the free world.

Lick my asshole

/Agreed

So stupid to put yourself against most of the world like North Korea is doing.......

CUG
04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23

/Agreed

So stupid to put yourself against most of the world like North Korea is doing....... I loved their cute threats "if you stop our shit from flying, we will consider it an act of war"

would be like the grade three kid threatening to throw a snowball at you if you stopped him from beating up another kid.

Toma
04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
And I cant believe the rest of the world is "scared" enough of North Korea to give a shit what they do..

South Korea, and the US with their military presence is what scared North Korea into NEEDING to develop their military, nukes, and missiles.

Good for them, they are the only ones in danger.

CUG
04-05-2009, 12:17 PM
And I cant believe the rest of the world is "scared" enough of North Korea to give a shit what they do..

South Korea, and the US with their military presence is what scared North Korea into NEEDING to develop their military, nukes, and missiles.

Good for them, they are the only ones in danger. How come a fine gentleman like yourself isn't over in some of these "bullied" countries fighting with and for them? Scared?

Toma
04-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CUG
How come a fine gentleman like yourself isn't over in some of these "bullied" countries fighting with and for them? Scared?

LOL... and why aren't you over there attacking them?

CUG
04-05-2009, 12:30 PM

LOL... and why aren't you over there attacking them? Oh, because I feel much more satisfied pretending I know the complete inside story on absolutely everything going on, then dropping it diarrhea style on beyond.ca. I think that serves the cause well no?

ZenOps
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I can only imagine what sort of headlines would be out today - if the rocket/missle had accidentally dropped its second stage shell somewhere on populated Japan instead of the open ocean.

Even worse, if the final stage hit somewhere in the continental US.

Kim Jong Il is indeed a very reckless man. Bold - but reckless.

nonlinear
04-05-2009, 01:39 PM
^^you seem to be giving this dude credit for some reason. weird.

R154
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
ZenOps is all about the underdog, why wouldnt he be praising N.K?

nonlinear
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
yea, i suppose so. it's just that kim jong il is a tyrannical idiot who thinks that he is going to solve his problems through threats instead of peace. how anyone could admire anything he does is far beyond me.

he's kinda like the weird kid who refuses to come play in the sandbox and help build sandcastles, but is instead at home jacking off in panties stolen from his sisters.

911fever
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
The missiles still can't hit the US, but it just adds instability to the reason. However, the US and other EU countries and other UN involved countries are pushing for sanctions on NK...which won't happen because China and Russia won't punish NK because of how closely involved they are with each other.

mucat
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I can only imagine what sort of headlines would be out today - if the rocket/missle had accidentally dropped its second stage shell somewhere on populated Japan instead of the open ocean.

Even worse, if the final stage hit somewhere in the continental US.

Kim Jong Il is indeed a very reckless man. Bold - but reckless.

Well, if he is crazy enough to try the iron lotus...

canuckcarguy
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM

blah blah blah...

I'm confused. What does this thread have to do with Rob Anders?

alloroc
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM

LOL... and why aren't you over there attacking them?

China.

I am scared of China.

01RedDX
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM

nonlinear
04-09-2009, 11:09 AM

China.

I am scared of China.

:rofl:

how cliche.

truth is, china can't and won't do shit. they are not imperialistic. and, it's not in their interest to engage in conflict with the USA - especially over something as insignificant as n. korea.