PDA

View Full Version : Canadian New car invoice prices?

trliniar
04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
tried google and searching this site but nothing came up. Is there a place where you can find out what Canadian invoice pricing is on brand new cars? edmunds.com has it for US cars. Would be nice to know when going into the stealership to deal

max_boost
04-03-2009, 02:30 AM
carcostcanada.com but you have to pay. you might as well if it's going to save you thousands.

you&me
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I understand that car dealers obviously have a bad rep (sometimes earned) and everyone wants to get a deal, but why is it that the only purchase people make where they feel entitled to knowing the amount of profit the vendor is making is on a car?

You don't go into Starbucks and ask what the cost is on the coffee you're buying (probably ~$.04).

There's no "clothing-cost-Canada", or "meal-out-cost-Canada", both of which have margins that car dealers could only dream of. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I believe that if a business is treating me well and providing a service or good that I desire, at a price I am happy with, then they are entitled to a profit.

:dunno:

bulaian
04-03-2009, 08:31 AM
because at starbucks you can't negotiate prices for your coffee, whereas it's part of the car buying process to negotiate with them to find an agreeable price between you and the dealer :dunno:

trliniar
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
yah.. i know what i paid for my medium coffee is what you paid for yours, thats fair. But if I paid $1.50 and you paid $1.00 then why should i be paying a premium for the same product?

Im not saying that i dont want the dealership to make a profit... thats commonsense or else they would go under. I just want to get the product at a fair price. thats why i want to know what invoice cost is. I dont want to be a dick and low ball a dealer $3000 if hes selling it at $1500 over invoice for example

max_boost
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Buying a coffee is a lot different than buying a car! lol

With the internet most buyers have already done their research so there is less selling involved on the behalf of the salesman. We just want a good deal that works out for both parties, no bs.

The invoice price thing doesn't work for all dealers. It all depends on the make/model and some dealers won't offer very much of a discount. It's basically take it or leave it. With that said, if you buy the carcostcanada report, it should show a contact person for you to call. That person might call you first because they can also see that you pulled a file for the car.

abner
04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by you&me
I understand that car dealers obviously have a bad rep (sometimes earned) and everyone wants to get a deal, but why is it that the only purchase people make where they feel entitled to knowing the amount of profit the vendor is making is on a car?

You don't go into Starbucks and ask what the cost is on the coffee you're buying (probably ~$.04).

There's no "clothing-cost-Canada", or "meal-out-cost-Canada", both of which have margins that car dealers could only dream of. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I believe that if a business is treating me well and providing a service or good that I desire, at a price I am happy with, then they are entitled to a profit.

:dunno:
The dealer benefits from the informed, prepared buyer by getting a quick, clean deal. It's lower margin, true, but I already know what I want, know how I want to finance it, and know what I'm prepared to pay. No "be backs", no BS.

If the dealer says yes, then the rest is paperwork, and the salesguy gets a quick tick against his monthly quota. I flog the trade-in separately, and usually privately.

I've done deals like this 4 times now since reading "The Rizzo Method" online several years back. Any of the 4 dealers involved would be happy to sell to me again, under the same terms.

94boosted
04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
A car is the second largest purchase made for most people (next to a house). Obviously your going to want the best deal possible on it. Besides it's better to be informed then go in there and get screwed over by the dealer.

trliniar
04-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Do you guys think the Freight & PDI fees which are typically $1200 + are a gimmick to get the price up there or is this a fee a buyer should pay? Start negotiating from MSRP - Frght & PDI or from price after Frght & PDI?

berbatov
04-06-2009, 02:01 AM
I would prefer not to pay for service, if possible

If anyone has an account, can you please PM the list price for 2009 BMW 528xi ?

Team_Mclaren
04-06-2009, 02:17 AM
^^ its $50 for five cars, its not like carfax where its unlimited. If you want to use a service, pay for the shit.

2BLUE
04-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I would like to bump this thread for a reason.

I just purchased this service for a Honda civic.

I have 2 names but it looks like its a broker not Calgary honda or something