PDA

View Full Version : Question about importing an EVO 8

SNAATCH
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if I will have any trouble bringing across a well modified EVO 8. It has an upgraded turbo kit, suspension, exhaust, wheels, etc....
Will they hassle me at the border about any of this? Will I have to pay taxes on the aftermarket parts? Any other tips would be great, thanks.

4WARNED
04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Technically, the car is supposed to have a stock suspension ( as delivered by the manufacturer)....with that siad, Ryan on here (95EagleAWD username) and many others have brought across modified vehicles and never had a problem...

I only know of one instance where the purchaser had to return the vehicle to a stock suspension (it was lowered)...

94boosted
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I think brining it over won't be the hard part but getting an Out of Province Inspection done might be tricky

SNAATCH
04-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I think brining it over won't be the hard part but getting an Out of Province Inspection done might be tricky

I have a hook up for the inspection so i'm not worried about that. More worried if i will be bothered at the border.

Did the guy who had to change the suspension have to change it before the car came across or once it was in Canada and had the inspection?

scat19
04-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Does it looked slammed? Air bagged slammed? If not I wouldn't be worried

pf0sh0
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Link? :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
you may have a connection for the OOP, but can they do the RIV inspection?

4WARNED
04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SNAATCH

I have a hook up for the inspection so i'm not worried about that. More worried if i will be bothered at the border.

Did the guy who had to change the suspension have to change it before the car came across or once it was in Canada and had the inspection?

A fellow over on WSC has an 02 subaru that was lowered...ended up buying parts and swapping them on BEFORE he came across the border....they (as in Canadian customs) wouldn't let him across until it was rectified.

A couple of times, i've driven through the "holding" lot at Sweetgrass while bringing cars across..........and there are always a couple of lifted trucks sitting there.....a car *should* be easier, but it's always a gamble. Calling RIV for direction won't help either, because they will simply tote the standard line, yet, we all know cars are getting across with suspension mods.....

badatusrnames
04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
What if you trailer it across as opposed to driving it?

I know a guy who brought over a modified car and didn't seem to have any problems at the border, but it was on a trailer so...

SNAATCH
04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Does it looked slammed? Air bagged slammed? If not I wouldn't be worried

No it just has some Tein Lowering springs and MR struts.

Originally posted by The Cosworth
you may have a connection for the OOP, but can they do the RIV inspection?

Don't think so. What is the difference between the two?

Originally posted by 4WARNED

A fellow over on WSC has an 02 subaru that was lowered...ended up buying parts and swapping them on BEFORE he came across the border....they (as in Canadian customs) wouldn't let him across until it was rectified.

A couple of times, i've driven through the "holding" lot at Sweetgrass while bringing cars across..........and there are always a couple of lifted trucks sitting there.....a car *should* be easier, but it's always a gamble. Calling RIV for direction won't help either, because they will simply tote the standard line, yet, we all know cars are getting across with suspension mods.....

I see that you drive an EVO 8. Did you come across any issues with the RIV inspection? Also did you have modified suspension when you came across?

Thanks everyone for your input!

4WARNED
04-04-2009, 03:46 PM

I see that you drive an EVO 8. Did you come across any issues with the RIV inspection? Also did you have modified suspension when you came across?

Mine was imported in 2003 completely stock and almost brand new- a whole other story (one of the 15 originals).....i sold it back in Sept 08 but i'm on the hunt for another....

Hauling across on a trailer won't matter too much...depends how nosy the Canada Customs agent is.......

but the above statement about RIV "inspection" being different that the OOP inspection is correct......RIV takes place at Canadian Tire and the OOP can take place at any shop that has the credentials/certificate.

PM Ryan (95EagleAWD) as his 05 MR was brought across on a trailer (through a customs broker) but i can't recall if his car had any suspension mods...

FWIW, i doubt the mods you listed as suspension mods would raise any eyebrows at the border......

Here's some pics of Ryan's car...and his has some suspension mods to it (i believe)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/258654/evo-viii-mr-and-sti-photoshoot-/

As for your question on paying any tax on the aftermarket parts, make sure they are all listed on some sort of bill of sale stating that they were included in the purchase price....you'll end up paying GST and Duty on the entire purchase price anyways.....

The Cosworth
04-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Don't think so. What is the difference between the two?

You need to have it inspected by the federal government and an import sticker attached. This is a pretty intense inspection because those cars never passed canadian vehicle standards to begin with so the import identifies things such as daylight running lights, bumpers, etc.

SNAATCH
04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

You need to have it inspected by the federal government and an import sticker attached. This is a pretty intense inspection because those cars never passed canadian vehicle standards to begin with so the import identifies things such as daylight running lights, bumpers, etc.

Anybody with an EVO: What mods had to be done at the RIV inspection? The law is that you have to change the speedometer to metric so how do you do that on an EVO when it isn't digital? Do you just order in a JDM spec cluster?

4WARNED
04-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Anybody with an EVO: What mods had to be done at the RIV inspection? The law is that you have to change the speedometer to metric so how do you do that on an EVO when it isn't digital? Do you just order in a JDM spec cluster?

Bumper laws are the same now, so the only thing you need to add to an EVO is Daytime Running Lights.

The RIV inspection will check the tire pressure sticker (comes on all EVOS), daytime runnings and child seat anchors. They are supposed to run through a much larger checklist but i have never spent more than two minutes at a Canadian tire for an RIV inspection......no road test required at Canadian tire either.

The OOP inspection will check the condition of all features (brakes, tires, wheels, no tint on front windows, all safety features, lights, etc.) and will do a road test.

As for the speedometer, the EVO VIII & IX's came with MPH on the bigger scale and KPH on the smaller scale, so there is no need to swap or change the guages out.

911fever
04-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Bumper laws are the same now, so the only thing you need to add to an EVO is Daytime Running Lights.

The RIV inspection will check the tire pressure sticker (comes on all EVOS), daytime runnings and child seat anchors. They are supposed to run through a much larger checklist but i have never spent more than two minutes at a Canadian tire for an RIV inspection......no road test required at Canadian tire either.

The OOP inspection will check the condition of all features (brakes, tires, wheels, no tint on front windows, all safety features, lights, etc.) and will do a road test.

As for the speedometer, the EVO VIII & IX's came with MPH on the bigger scale and KPH on the smaller scale, so there is no need to swap or change the guages out.

exactly. RIV checks by CDN Tire are a joke, of the cars I saw imported, it took less than 10 minutes on all of them at a couple different CDN Tire's too

SNAATCH
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

exactly. RIV checks by CDN Tire are a joke, of the cars I saw imported, it took less than 10 minutes on all of them at a couple different CDN Tire's too

Ok this is all great news! 4warned: Which Canadian tires did you go to?

4WARNED
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Ok this is all great news! 4warned: Which Canadian tires did you go to?

Southland has done all of my RIV inspections.....

SNAATCH
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Southland has done all of my RIV inspections.....

Ok great, thanks a lot!

911fever
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
When i imported cars I took them to Southland and the one of Mcloud