PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

ColoDano
04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I have an interesting (I hope) dilemma, and this was the best place I could think of for it.

I am a U.S. citizen, working and living in Calgary. My cars are all registered in the U.S. We were told at the border, that as long as we were not guaranteed to be in Canada longer than 3 years, to keep our cars registered in the U.S.

Now, my Insurance agent down there, didn't like the idea of me insuring my cars and my fiance's car through them while up here.

I am trying to figure out if I should contact an insurance company here and get insurance on my cars, even with U.S. registration and licenses, or should I just find another company down in the states?

I think it will be cheaper if I keep U.S. insurance, but I am concerned of any possible legal issues, especially if we were to have a problem and need to make a claim on anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

dannie
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the border patrol is wrong. If you are here on a work visa, you are required to switch your drivers licence and licence plates to Alberta if you are here for more than 90 days.

I know my answer doesnt exactly answer your insurance question, but 90 days is the gov policy for registration and licences, and insurance is likely to follow that same guideline.

barmanjay
04-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I swear I saw an allstate up in crowfoot,.. try them,.. they are american based

Masked Bandit
04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
You will not be able to secure Alberta Insurance and keep US registration. Sure, you could activate a policy but the coverage is still void unless you also have Alberta registration. It will be up to the rules of your state of origin as to whether or not you have to flip everything over.

ee2k
04-05-2009, 10:01 PM
1. Check your insurance terms. Chances are, they state that you are covered with your residence and use of your vehicle being in the state/area you're registered in. If you get into an accident, chances are, your out of luck.

2. If you have to register your car in AB, then do a forum search on importing vehicle into Canada, as, chances are, you'd need to comply with the Canadian import terms.

Masked Bandit
04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by ee2k

2. If you have to register your car in AB, then do a forum search on importing vehicle into Canada, as, chances are, you'd need to comply with the Canadian import terms.

I didn't even think of this angle but yes, that would add to the "pain in the ass" factor.

Now you said that your agent "didn't like the idea" of your vehicles being in Canada for an extended period of time but did they say they will not renew the policy?