PDA

View Full Version : Got my car broken into..

simonseys
04-06-2009, 07:02 AM
So the the situation is.. Yesterday at around 10:30, my friend and I got our car broken into, right in front of my house in Monterey Park NE. It's weird because I got home at around 9 and I wasn't even in my house for 2 hours and it happend. When my buddy left he noticed that something was weird with my car, my gas cover was open and they noticed some dangling wires inside my car. The guy pretty much broke into my car, stole my stereo, my coat, and other small things. Whats real pathetic is that they stole ALL my burned cd's, its not a obvious huge loss but its weird, because there was no visible damage in the car or anything.

My friend and I both own civics and when we examined our door handles, there was no visible damage except for the key hole was twisted at almost a 45 degree angle, and this was on both our cars. This is the second time I had my car broken into in front of my house. Just putting it out there for anyone that lives in Monterey.. I called the police but ofcourse they can't do anything without any physical evidence..

Moezer
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
insure your system dude, next time if it happens again then ull get ur itemed payed for from ur insurance, but if u saying both u and ur friend got hit at the same time then u have been marked by some one u might know, most times when a car gets broken in to they damage something that is worth the fix... thats only from my exp, my brothers pathfinder got stolen 2 times in 1 month, the first one was ramed in to a concreat spacer and they took the sound system. The 2d time the window was broken to get in to it, they took the sound system and for some reson our stuff was taken from the truck but they had a bag full on girl slipers and shoes, lol but this time the truck was behind a house parked nicely on the fence 10 blocks away from my house... when my dad insured my car on my name the first thing the insureance asked was, does he have a sound system in it XD he told them no, but i do have one lol but any ways good luck next time

Skyline_Addict
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
seems like theft occuring right outside of your residence is a trend these days. the same thing happened to me, where my car was ransacked and they made off with an iPOD and the aux cable for it. not a big loss, since the iPOD was an old generation one. besides that, the thief made a huge mess of the car. the theft also happened when I was home, granted I was probably asleep at the time.

i used to keep my garage opener in the car i park outside, and thankfully the thief(s) wanted no-more than a quick grab. i highly recommend bringing your garage opener inside with you when you park your car outside. i'm much more careful about making sure my car is locked and that i don't leave anything inside my car that could tempt people to steal.

with that being said, it doesn't seem like there's anything you can do to get your items back or get any sort of compensation for it. as suggested, look to insuring your valuables or taking as many steps as possible to deter thieves.

my guess is that thieves believe that people are most vulnerable when they have their vehicles parked outside their house and that this is when they are least suspecting. they're probably right most of the time... just take the steps to make sure that they're not right about you.

Moezer
04-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
i used to keep my garage opener in the car i park outside, and thankfully the thief(s) wanted no-more than a quick grab. i highly recommend bringing your garage opener inside with you when you park your car outside.

That never came to my mind but i did lock my hand rest thing when i took the opener from my dads car but i found it to be annoying to open it to press open on the door lol, but still a good point and all in all my brother got his truck stolen 2 times and another truck also a pathfinder stolen once and a camero when he had it long ago all of them from in front of the house

PatrickSponge
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
"Honda civic gets broken into" --now that's a front-page headline.

Moezer
04-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by PatrickSponge
"Honda civic gets broken into" --now that's a front-page headline.
.... wasnt it the number one stolen car in calgary when they did that study

PatrickSponge
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, maybe it should be "Worlds most common ugly car gets broken into"

Moezer
04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by PatrickSponge
Yeah, maybe it should be "Worlds most common ugly car gets broken into"

LOL dont be a hater on the civic its good on gas!!!!

Genjuro
04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear. I know it's tough to be violated like this for no reason.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252790/break-in-again/

I didnt disclose my area at the time but I'm in the community right beside Monterey Park. It's so frequent in this area now..

realazy
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
People with old Honda's and even old cars in general should watch out.

The lock cylinders in old cars get worn out and can be opened by sticking a similar key in there and jiggling it.

If you always used your key to open the door for the past X amount of years, check to see if your locks are worn.

PatrickSponge
04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah I agree, anyone with these old pieces of junk should be on the lookout. Avoid souping them up with fancy cd players and bluetooth door locks.

simonseys
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Well it wasn't "souped out" its just a stock civic, with a deck. As for it being a piece of junk I wasn't saying it was my jewel, just putting it out there for anyone in monterey..

I wonder what I'd do if I caught the guy at it again...

simonseys
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by realazy
People with old Honda's and even old cars in general should watch out.

The lock cylinders in old cars get worn out and can be opened by sticking a similar key in there and jiggling it.

If you always used your key to open the door for the past X amount of years, check to see if your locks are worn. Since my lock was picked at or what not, does it mean that my lock is now even more prone to easier break ins?

Projek01
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
oh wth, when did monterey get this ghetto? thanks for the heads up, i think its time for me to detach my face if i leave my car up front.

Moezer
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by simonseys
Since my lock was picked at or what not, does it mean that my lock is now even more prone to easier break ins?
if you get the car in one piece and not a lot of damage is done to it then change the locks thats all to it and use one of those steering wheel locks i forgot the name of what they are called lol

em2ab
04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
car = $5000 - $10000?
alarm = $200

I don't get it. :dunno:

Anyway, which year is your Civic? There's a flaw with them, I could get into one in less than a minute because of a fuck up in the design of the newer ones. The only reason I learned it is because some asshat got into mine a few years ago except I got a pager alarm and a bat by the door. He got his.

canuckcarguy
04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
If your neighborhood is prone to theft and you don't want to buy an alarm, get a club to deter outright car theft, remove your valuables, and leave the doors unlocked. I started doing that with my Jeep way back, and every six months I'd find my glove box open and rifled through, but that way they never did any damage. Just seemed easier than worrying about it.

delled
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
If the value of the stuff taken was not too much it may not be worth it (deductible?) but if it was taken while at your house, homeowner insurance may cover the contents of your car. Mine did but this was many years ago.