PDA

View Full Version : Best places in and around Calgary for ice cream.

ekguy
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
So I only really have 3 spots I like to go too and me and the gf would like a few new ones. And since the season is fast approaching for sunday ice cream drives why not start a list.

I'll add them to this first post if people want.

Here's what I got so far. edited with updates.

My Favorite Ice Cream Shoppe (Marda Loop)
McKays (Cochrane)
Bragg Creek (the ice cream and candy shoppe)
Amato Gelato
LICS (Near children's hospital)
Marble Slab (any of them in the city)

cooperS
04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
amato gelato in kensington

LadyLuck
04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by cooperS
amato gelato in kensington

+1
hazelnut :drool:

liquidboi69
04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Leavitt's Ice Cream Shop (aka LICS)

3410 3rd Avenue NW near the Children's Hospital.

HyperZell
04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Anyone remember the Scooples on Center St, by the Bhuddist (?) temple? I think it's a CIBC now, but damn I loved that place...

asp integra
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
the one by marda loop is called 'my favorite ice cream shoppe'

Tik-Tok
04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

Cochrane (we all know the place)

You mean the one that serves mediocre ice cream, but somehow managed to market themselves as "a place to go", and you get the fun of standing in line for 1/2 an hour in the sweltering heat, so you don't care that you're overpaying when you finally get inside?

I go to the US for icecream... they don't serve my fav. brand in Canada.

ekguy
04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You mean the one that serves mediocre ice cream, but somehow managed to market themselves as "a place to go", and you get the fun of standing in line for 1/2 an hour in the sweltering heat, so you don't care that you're overpaying when you finally get inside?

hehe it's not really the ice cream I go there for but the drive. He he. And it's not that bad :D

mr2mike
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Hollywood-style.

Benny
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM

This forum is full of so many bitchy people haha.

Stringz
04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Stampede

dj_rice
04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Marble Slab Creamery?

TYMSMNY
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
the one by marda loop is called 'my favorite ice cream shoppe'

It use to be good IMO. Use to go there almost every week. Marble Slab is pretty good, nothing super special.

TomcoPDR
04-06-2009, 08:30 PM

:werd: They got these nicely done up cafe/restaurant that just serves icecream/cheese cake/dessert... it's like $9-12 ice cream but we're talking about 1 -1.5L of ice cream or banana split in one serving. This is San Francisco.

badatusrnames
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
Anyone remember the Scooples on Center St, by the Bhuddist (?) temple? I think it's a CIBC now, but damn I loved that place...

:werd:!!! That and the Milkyway in Bridgeland back in the day!

dubbster
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Safeway cooler. Eat said ice cream in the parking lot.

dj_rice
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Back in the day, my family use to buy ice cream from this truck that delivered to houses, Schuwans? Schwinns? or something like that, it was good shit

Try M & M's Ice creams, some of their flavours are quite good

dubbster
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Back in the day, my family use to buy ice cream from this truck that delivered to houses, Schuwans? Schwinns? or something like that, it was good shit

Try M & M's Ice creams, some of their flavours are quite good

And he used to have that, that fucking siren. Fucking eh that taked me back. Thanks dj rice. Fuck me, I need some ice cream. Motherfucker.

dubbster
04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
MINUS THE RAPPING

a2VY-6hmCgk

drtoohotty1
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
the one in cochrane is McKay's

dj_rice
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.schwans.com/catalog/catalog_browse.jsp?parentCategoryId=2988

Schwans was the name...not sure if they still deliver or not but their ice cream rocked

dubbster
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
http://www.schwans.com/catalog/catalog_browse.jsp?parentCategoryId=2988

Schwans was the name...not sure if they still deliver or not but their ice cream rocked

Deliver? One goes out in a car for a drive, with the nice summer air flowing through an open window to get ice cream. Not get it delivered. :rolleyes:

EK 2.0
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

+1
hazelnut :drool:

+1 for Hazelnut....

And my fave used to be Phillips on 17th Ave. But they have since retired and are under new ownership....In all fairness I cant comment on the new place...haven't been back since...

cooperS
04-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

And my fave used to be Phillips on 17th Ave. But they have since retired and are under new ownership....In all fairness I cant comment on the new place...haven't been back since...

that place is so gross now. stop by once, and never will go back again. my chocolate ice cream had frost on it and it have a weird smell. probably from bad storage or lack of turnover :dunno:

Stubby
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
my big one would be the chocolate bar on 17th.

ekguy
04-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Ok let's hear more we got a list going. Not many on there but there should be more. What about for day trippers. Like let's say as far as Lake Louise maybe even into BC. Or Drumheller and all the areas that are within a couple hours of Calgary or for those road tripping that may want to stop. on the way for some good ice cream.

Weapon_R
04-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Don't waste your time. The new owners are cheap with the icecream and dirty.

redevil
04-07-2009, 06:28 PM

^^That is sooo true!

:thumbsdow

Try the rocky road ice cream...rocky is far from the truth. Overpriced, but I guess it is just for the drive.

Disoblige
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I agree. Definately did not have a good experience recently.

EK 2.0
04-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

That's sad to hear...Phillip's had such a great reputation...

Just loved hanging out (read loitering haha) in front of there...nice weather, nice cars, and nice girls....

Kritafo
04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Amato Gelato

My favourite Ice Cream shoppe used to be really good. Now like so many other things it stinks. You could play a song for a cone. Not sure if they still do this, but it was always fun.

I won't buy ice-cream from the store anymore. I make my own in the Cuisinart. It takes 25 minutes and a little longer for hard ice-cream. It is so good. Strawberry is our favorite. It's so easy to make, Tastes very good.

EK 2.0
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

I make my own in the Cuisinart. It takes 25 minutes and a little longer for hard ice-cream. It is so good. Strawberry is our favorite. It's so easy to make, Tastes very good.

You should make me some too....;)

Kritafo
04-08-2009, 09:04 PM

You should make me some too....;)

For you...yes I would.

Nav13
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Ok let's hear more we got a list going. Not many on there but there should be more. What about for day trippers. Like let's say as far as Lake Louise maybe even into BC. Or Drumheller and all the areas that are within a couple hours of Calgary or for those road tripping that may want to stop. on the way for some good ice cream.

This is was to far away for a day trip, but if your ever in the Okanagan region, theres a place between Penticton and Osoyoos called Tickleberry's, has very good ice cream and a ton of flavors to choose from, nice drive too, right along the lake. Nothing beats going for Ice cream during a warm summer drive in the Okanagan valley.