PDA

View Full Version : Review: Lions Den Pub - 234 17th Ave SE

ExtraSlow
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Went down to the Lions Den (234 17th Ave SE) before the Hitmen game last Friday night. Chose this restaurant because of it's proximity to the dome, and because of it's shady appearance. I'm a sucker for lowbrow joints. Arrived around 5:30 PM, and there were two other groups there out of about fifteen tables. No problem getting a seat without a reservation, unlike Eds down the block.
I ended up having the Vienna Schnitzel, which comes as a dinner with soup, salad, and apple strudel for desert. Looked like good value at $20 for the meal. I really enjoyed the schnitzel, but the soup, salad and desert were mediocre at best.
Others in the group had the hamburger (barely OK), Spaghetti and Meatballs (mediocre), and meat loaf (not bad).

The Owner told us a variety of terrible jokes from the time we set foot in the door to the time we left. He also dispensed marital advice.

Ratings
Location: 10/10, only if you are going to the Stampede grounds for an event. You'll still need to pay for parking somewhere, but you don't get any closer than this.
Food: 4/10. It was about as good as Dennys, if that gives you any idea. I was really happy with the Schnitzel, but that could be because I was starving hungry.
Service: 5/10. Service was fast and attentive, but it had better be in an empty restaraunt.
Jokes: 1.5/10
Value: 8/10 This is where this place shines. A bottle of beer was $3.75, and dinner for two with starters and drinks came out to $40. This is far an away a better deal than anything else within a mile of the stampede grounds. Plus you can get your drink on before an event if that's your style.

Final verdict, I'd go back, but I'd be going more for the cheap beers than for the culinary experience.

cancer man
12-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Try the trout next time really good.
My review.
The trout was an 9/10
Salad to much oil not enough vinegar 7/10
The dinner buns 2/10 hard and i think old
Soup was deadly 10/10
Service 9/10

Enrico comedy show priceless..I think we had 1 beer to many.
It's a true diner.
Restaurant makeover would help.

It reminds me of having dinner at my parents house, same style of cooking
and bickering in the Kitchen.
I will go back for sure.
More vinegar in the salad!!!!.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I plan on going back on my way to some events at the dome. The cheap beers more than make up for any shortcomings.
Also, it's a fascinating menu, so I'm going to try a few more dishes.

Disoblige
12-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the review of that place!

However, I found it funny you gave them 5/10 because they were fast and attentive but it was nearly empty. Did you mean they weren't fast enough for being empty? Otherwise, I mean, good service is good service empty or not.

Artega
12-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I have to agree that the soup is amazing. 10/10 for the soup.
The restaurant really give off a small italian family restaurant feeling. I enjoyed it.