PDA

View Full Version : advice on advanced road test

chkolny541
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
im taking my advanced road test tomorrow at 530 and im wondering what advice people have. I've been driving for over 2 years now (i should have taken the test last summer), so its not the actual driving on the roads that im nervous about its just the little things that im worried about, we've all developed some bad driving habits(i NEVER shoulder check as i have blindspot mirrors).

But what advice do you ave when you took the test? what should i or shouldn't i do? if anyone took the test from the south here (shawnessy) what roads did you take? and does anyone have the list of automatic fails they could scan or tell me? i know some are obvious, but there were a few strange automatic fails i saw. Well any advice would be great :thumbsup:

GQBalla
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
the only known automatic fails is...

parking brake left on.
failure to assume right of way.

theres more for sure.

but the test is so simple, just drive and scan your mirrors (make this noticeable to the examiner), check your blind spots

for more advice please do a search

white
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I passed first time for all my licenses you shouldnt have any problem, make sure you know how to merge cause i have had friends fail for that.

scat19
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
i NEVER shoulder check as i have blindspot mirrors

Get off the road.

funkedelic2
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
make COMPLETE stops not just quick 2 second ones. Don't go above posted speeds. If there are pedestrians, make sure they are completely across the street before you go. Check mirrors and shoulder check everytime, stay calm and try your hardest to seem confident and comfortable with your driving abilities.

chkolny541
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Get off the road.

is this coming from someone who has a tinted windshield..?i hope its someone else on your account, cuz you couldnt be serious

Mibz
04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
If you stop in the flow-through from MacLeod SB to 162nd WB I will FUCKING KILL YOU.

maxomilll
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If you stop in the flow-through from MacLeod SB to 162nd WB I will FUCKING KILL YOU.

:whipped:

jadeboy
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I've taken the road test in shawnessy with Dawn(?) got a perfect score :). Key - stay calm and relax! Talk to the instructor about life (it shows you have confident in your driving) but watch everything you do. Drive smoothly...

dannie
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
You will have Dawn Swain as your examiner. Shes fair. Make sure you come to complete stops, dont run red lights or the train lights (believe it or not, that happens at least twice a day), watch your uncontrolled intersections, merge appropriately.

Good Luck

chkolny541
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jadeboy
I've taken the road test in shawnessy with Dawn(?) got a perfect score :). Key - stay calm and relax! Talk to the instructor about life (it shows you have confident in your driving) but watch everything you do. Drive smoothly...

where exactly did you drive? through which area's? i was going to cruise through shawnessy and millrise tonight just to kinda mapout any playground zones or anything

and thanks for the input people,:thumbsup:

dannie
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Here is the section in the learners about uncontrolled intersections:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2014.htm#Uncontrolled%20intersections

Make sure you do this, otherwise it is an automatic fail.

The examiners have 7 routes for the advanced test.

Kennyredline
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Get off the road.

Ya...gotta fix the blind-spot check...

oilerfan4lyfe
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Do a search - we've been through this topic several times...

I found it to be a pretty basic test - if you're a half decent driver you should be okay - it's even easier than the first one IMO...the one thing that caught me up a bit was how long you have to stop at a stop sign...you literally have to stop, count to three slowly, then go again otherwise it's supposedly a rolling stop.

Other than that...keep both hands on the wheel, don't exceed the speed limit and watch out for lights that might be turning red - use the walk/do not walk signs to your advantage