PDA

View Full Version : Help with Norton Ghost 14.0

natejj
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
My 160 gb main HD filled up, so I bought a 1 TB Western Digital Black HD. Problem is, my 160 is FILLED to the brim with installed games. And I really really really don't want to reinstall/repatch/reupdate everything, and I love my computer the way it is.

I obtained Norton Ghost 14.0.... Can someone explain to me how to basically use this software to move everything nicely from my 160 to my new HD without having to reinstall vista and all my games? Much appreciated!!!!

eblend
04-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Newest verions of ghost have gotten away from simply cloning drives (still possible but sucks) and are more complex now. I would get a hold of norton ghost 8 or 9 and your set. Download Hiren's Boot Disk and use build in ghost to ghost from small drive to the big drive easily

Zero102
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
There are a number of GPL or otherwise free programs that do what you want.
Clonezilla is a good example, and you can boot it from CD.
http://www.clonezilla.org/

Just move the partition from the 160GB disk to the 1TB, then expand it using diskpart when you are done.

You might as well keep the 160GB drive in the system afterwards then throw the system page file onto that disk, it will give you a bit of a performance boost by not being on the same physical disk as the OS.