PDA

View Full Version : Toyota vs GM Report

Thomas Gabriel
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey guys

I'm writing a report on key differences between Toyota and GM business strategies.

I will be focusing on manufacturing methods, product costing, inventory management, resource utilization, organizational structure and approach to marketing.

There will also be a small opinion piece in the conclusion: "Do you see government intervention as a way to address these differences? "

Finding the information has been difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas on studies to reference?

Any ideas on what graphs/charts to include that will accurately demonstrate why there is such a difference?

My first comparison was pie charts showing the distribution of costs between each organization. Amazingly they were almost exactly the same - GM's costs are simply higher in every area. Finding out why isn't exactly something I can find in their financials.

Thanks for the help

I'll post up the report when I'm done. (Due Thursday morning :( )

syeve
04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I would personally start with the fundamental differences in the retirement funding plan taken on by GM. They are paying a HUGE amount to retired employees and widows of past employees. Basically, union vs non-union. The past deals by unions are choking the American auto makers.

There is a lot more, but I would personaly start there.

Thomas Gabriel
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, that is what I think one of the key differences is. It's a bit unfair to criticize GM's management as much as it is. Toyota has a huge advantage with public health care in Japan and overall reduced legacy costs because of their younger age.

Right now I have the sections of the report broken into the areas listed above: manufacturing methods, product costing, inventory management, resource utilization, organizational structure and approach to marketing

Which section would those costs fit in? Or should I change the way it is laid out.

I also want to write about how ineffective GMAC is right now, but don't know what section to put it in.

Thomas Gabriel
04-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Also, does anyone have access to this this (http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/b01/en/common/item_detail.jhtml;jsessionid=MT4GZNAB43F3OAKRGWCB5VQBKE0YOISW?id=305026)

My database doesn't have it for some reason.

G-Suede
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
That's because it's a Harvard Business case study that probably requires a per seat or site license purchased by your school.

Given that it's Tuesday night, your paper is due on Thursday, and that it covers strategy, management accounting, operations, human resources, and marketing, I'd say you are in a bad position.

To get an idea of the detail requirements, what is the page length or word count of the paper not including appendices?

Do you have access to Business Source Premier and Academic Source Premier databases?

Thomas Gabriel
04-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I can access most Harvard Business articles. I guess not case studies.

It needs to be around 2000 words.

Yes, I do have access to those databases.

Kind of a bad situation - I know. It will be possible though.

G-Suede
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Try here:

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=toyota+gm&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search

Thomas Gabriel
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks man. Hadn't thought of Google's system. Much better than university search.

Does anyone know where I can access the Harbour Report? It has some really good data on each automotive manufacturer. I'm specifically looking for exact numbers on GMs productivity vs Toyota. I know the gap has been closing, and I want to address why even with close productivity and maybe even quality, GM is still bleeding money.

G-Suede
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Not the Harbour, but might help:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jun2008/bw2008065_834270.htm