PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Rims please

eb0i
04-08-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm looking for rims for my 09 STi and have narrowed it down to Volk TE37's in a Bronze and Advan RS' in a Dark Gunmetal.

My stock rims are 18x8.5 with +55mm offset.

I am choosing to go with 18x9.

I really love the concave look that I can get with the Advan RS' but in order to get the effect I would have to get a ridiculously low offset of +29mm or +35mm and roll my fenders. And I don't know if I want to do that.

If I stick with +45mm offset they won't look concave and almost look like they are coming out. If that's the case I was thinking maybe I should stick to the Volk TE37s.

What do you guys think would look better? What are the negatives of fender rolling and really low offsets?

Here is my car.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8198/img2595ia0.jpg

These are the Volks I like.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1129/te37.jpg

And these are a set of Advan RS' in a Dark Gunmetal with a +29mm offset and rolled fenders on a OBP 08 STi.

http://www.ziptied.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10489/6~1.jpg

Moezer
04-08-2009, 01:11 AM
the Volks are nice looking, but the black ones on the buttom pic look better from what u have in the first pic as in the gold ones. If u worried about hitting the ground then dont get the low offsets stay with what u have and change the rims, i dont know if this is what u mean

ercchry
04-08-2009, 01:46 AM
with the 9j +35 you will be sticking out an extra 26mm. now with your car all 4x4ing you will probably only run into issues when you corner hard, so what i would do is....

lower car
assess natural camber from drop
get rims
figure out how much stretch you need to clear fenders

Sebasshole
04-08-2009, 07:01 AM
i think you should go with the advans, they look awsome, you wont regret putting in the extra effort to customize your car and make it even more original.

realazy
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
How bout Advan RS's in gold?

Speedtech has a set in their showroom in EVO fitment (if it's not on their evo yet) and it should fit the STI just fine.

Looks soooo nice :drool:

CivicDXR
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I would get the TEs. Offsets on the subies seem to be fairly weird, I've been doing alot of research with mine before I bought my wheels. Ended up sticking with a set of gold Prodrives in something very close to the stock offset. With the Advans, you'd have to roll the fenders for sure. As for the stretched look, I'm not a big fan of that look on the subies. Certain cars can pull it off, but other ones can't. Our body style to me does not suit well to the stretched tires. And I'm not a big fan of having to roll feders and such.

Why don't you try finding a set of lower offset TE's?

Excuse the red box outlining the lip, but here are a set of Rotas with a lower offset, if you found that offset but in the actual TE, it would look good.

http://images49.fotki.com/v1458/photos/1/116174/5704625/P2110850-vi.jpg

eur0
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
advans :drool:

bigboom
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I put a set of Advan RgII's on my sti with a +45 offset with 245/40/18's, i was debating on running some 255's but then i'd have to roll my fenders and seeing some of the stories on the GR sti's and rolling fenders i stayed away from it. i didnt want to take the chance with ruining the paint.

lots of people have done it successfully though. talk to rob down at tunerworks, he rolled his fenders and they turned out fine.

my preference would be the rs' though.

eb0i
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
I put a set of Advan RgII's on my sti with a +45 offset with 245/40/18's, i was debating on running some 255's but then i'd have to roll my fenders and seeing some of the stories on the GR sti's and rolling fenders i stayed away from it. i didnt want to take the chance with ruining the paint.

lots of people have done it successfully though. talk to rob down at tunerworks, he rolled his fenders and they turned out fine.

my preference would be the rs' though.

Do you have any pictures of your STi with the RGII's on them? Yeah I was talking to James down at tunerworks and he suggested that I go with a +45 offset as well so that I don't have to roll fenders.

eb0i
04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
I would get the TEs. Offsets on the subies seem to be fairly weird, I've been doing alot of research with mine before I bought my wheels. Ended up sticking with a set of gold Prodrives in something very close to the stock offset. With the Advans, you'd have to roll the fenders for sure. As for the stretched look, I'm not a big fan of that look on the subies. Certain cars can pull it off, but other ones can't. Our body style to me does not suit well to the stretched tires. And I'm not a big fan of having to roll feders and such.

Why don't you try finding a set of lower offset TE's?

Excuse the red box outlining the lip, but here are a set of Rotas with a lower offset, if you found that offset but in the actual TE, it would look good.

Yeah I am really like the TE's as well especially after finding this thread

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-show-shine/389422-official-volk-te37-thread.html

Some sick looking TE's on there.

As for tire stretch I wasn't looking into doing it either, like you said, only look good on some cars. And to me fender rolling is iffy, especially on the thin crappy paint of our Subies.

Did you lower your WRX at all? If so by how much?

bigboom
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

Do you have any pictures of your STi with the RGII's on them? Yeah I was talking to James down at tunerworks and he suggested that I go with a +45 offset as well so that I don't have to roll fenders.

i'll get some up this weekend...

5fivespeed
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Advans.

pinoyhero
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Go with the advans so hawt

dj_honda
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
advans but a different colour than those pictured. I tihnk silver or gold would look good.

eb0i
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I won't tell you what I picked up for now. I'll post pictures when I get them in a few months :D

As for rubber I am looking at Falken Azenis RT-615's

So my stock is set ups 245/40/18 with18x8.5 +55 rims, will 255/40/18 work for 18x9 +45 offset? Or should I keep stock size of 245?

Dj_Stylz
04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Few months?! Sounds like your ordered TE's haha.