PDA

View Full Version : hdmi receiver question

JohnnyBlaze
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm kind of confused about how to tell if a receiver will be able to accept both audio and video through an hdmi cable. I've been doing a little research and some say that some receivers are only able to process video through an hdmi cable and will also require an optical audio cable for audio.

What specs should I look for if I want a receiver that will process both audio and video through an hdmi. If it makes a difference I will be mainly using a ps3. Ideally, I would like to connect the ps3, hdtv and receiver using only hdmi cables. Any suggestions is appreciated.

theken
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Are you looking to buy a new reciever or you have a current one? If current maked and model. If not but a new onkyo

JohnnyBlaze
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm looking to buy a new one

Boat
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Stay away from the receivers with HDMI "pass-thru" typically these are the devices that you won't get sound.

rage2
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Just like everything else HDMI, it's confusing as fuck. I swear the HDMI spec was designed to fuck with end and confuse the shit out of users haha.

Generally speaking, pass thru or switching don't process audio. They literally "switch" the HDMI from one to the other without any processing.

HDMI repeating or repeater support means that it'll do processing with the HDMI input at the receiver level, which includes audio processing.

Of course, even manufactures confuse the above terms, but most of the time it'll be right.

Receivers that support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD is guaranteed to process audio, because those are only supported over HDMI. To confuse things even more, some low end receivers that do HDMI audio do not support TrueHD or DTS-HD, just DD 5.1 and DTS.

beecue
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
With a PS3 you don't need the receiver to support TrueHD or DTS-HD because it will decode it then send the signal to the receiver. So just get a repeater.

JohnnyBlaze
04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Just like everything else HDMI, it's confusing as fuck. I swear the HDMI spec was designed to fuck with end and confuse the shit out of users haha.

Generally speaking, pass thru or switching don't process audio. They literally "switch" the HDMI from one to the other without any processing.

HDMI repeating or repeater support means that it'll do processing with the HDMI input at the receiver level, which includes audio processing.

Of course, even manufactures confuse the above terms, but most of the time it'll be right.

Receivers that support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD is guaranteed to process audio, because those are only supported over HDMI. To confuse things even more, some low end receivers that do HDMI audio do not support TrueHD or DTS-HD, just DD 5.1 and DTS.

Ahh thanks, that clears things up.

Originally posted by beecue
With a PS3 you don't need the receiver to support TrueHD or DTS-HD because it will decode it then send the signal to the receiver. So just get a repeater.

It seems hard to find a receiver which has a repeater. Most low end receivers use pass through, and when a receiver does use repeater it seems to also have truehd and dts-hd

beecue
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyBlaze

It seems hard to find a receiver which has a repeater. Most low end receivers use pass through, and when a receiver does use repeater it seems to also have truehd and dts-hd

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10105717&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10099882&catid=

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10100405&catid=20313 .. I have this one .. it has been on sale for $299 a couple of times during the past month

rage2
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567576&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

Repeater, no TrueHD or DTS-HD. I bought 3 of 'em off beyonders at Soundsaround to upgrade the rest of my home HDMI distribution to DD5.1/DTS (all I need really, for Satellite/AppleTV/Media Center feeds). They're like $270 each.

JohnnyBlaze
04-09-2009, 07:33 AM
thanks for the links guys