PDA

View Full Version : Well played, Hyundai

shin0bi
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/08/new-york-checking-out-the-hyundai-equus-in-person/

This is bloody droolworthy.
Hyundai is reaally growing into their new role as the thorn in Lexus' side.

My only complaint is that I think the wheels should be of a slightly wider diameter, as the rear wheel looks dwarfed compared to the rest of the car's dimensions.

But Hot Damn, if I was in the market for a new luxury car, and happened to live in Seoul... hehe

This puts the Genesis, itself a competent car, to shame.

Mibz
04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I made strange noises when I saw it.

Drop.Dead.Gorgeous

KRyn
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice looking car, a little bit to much chrome though.

sxtothe240
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Massaging backseats? veryyyyyy nice.

I wonder what the price range would be? Compared to Lexus LS/S-Class/7 Series?

I saw a couple Genesis coupes on the roads this week, damn they look good.

Ukyo8
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
:drool:

max_boost
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
lol

WOW!

Is Hyundai going to come out with a luxury division soon? :rofl:

corsvette
04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Nice!Looks sooooo much better than a Lexus and likely costs 1000's less.

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
This is going to be a tricky sell for Hyundai. Their name still holds no status and when you're trying to sell a luxury car status is a huge selling feature. Many people buy a luxury car simply because of the name. If this wasn't the case the Avalon would be a huge seller.

The car looks nice from certain angles but from others its awkward and gaudy. (design is of course subjective :))
http://www.yosax.com/car_images/hyundai-equus-image.jpg

If Hyundai wants to go after the luxury market they need to come up with a new brand.

you&me
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
This is going to be a tricky sell for Hyundai. Their name still holds no status and when you're trying to sell a luxury car status is a huge selling feature. Many people buy a luxury car simply because of the name. If this wasn't the case the Avalon would be a huge seller.

The car looks nice from certain angles but from others its awkward and gaudy. (design is of course subjective :))

If Hyundai wants to go after the luxury market they need to come up with a new brand.

+1

I've had several recent conversations that went something like "Wow, have you seen the new Genisis? Such a hot car, what a deal" etc... To which I usually reply "yeah, but would you trade your BMW/Lexus/Benz/etc for it?"

The answer is always no.

I would guess less than 5% will cross-shop S Classes and 7 Series against this based on brand perception alone.

funkedelic2
04-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Ew

Team_Mclaren
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
if you are in the market for an S or 7 you wont look at the Equus... why? because you have enough money for a S or 7. You have to realized that they are selling a higher "class" car for less. The gensis for example is priced against the 3 and C, yet you get the power and luxury of 5 and E.

Kloubek
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Don't laugh dude. It's a great marketing idea which is why all the other manufacturers did it in the first place. Sell virtually the same car as your "lesser" brand with more chrome and seemingly more luxury, then add 10g to the price.

I would not be surprised in the slightest...

corsvette
04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
All true about the name of the brand,Lexus may have had some trouble the first few years with a unknown name,the product proved worthy competition to the european makes so it was successful,i think Hyundai may have trouble getting buyers for such a car with the name "Hyundai" on the trunk.

Hakkola
04-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Mercedes and Lexus totally copied this design. /sarcasm.

I agree with your post completely, they might make decent cars, but I wouldn't spend over 30 grand on a Hyundai.

TorqueDog
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Breaking into the luxury market, the Hyundai branding will be its own worst enemy. Changing public perception is a bitch whether you're going up OR down-hill, and it will take a good number of years before your average consumer looks at a Hyundai as a top notch product.

Case in point, Ford is putting out some of the best product in the market today, yet they still get a lot of hate just because of the perception of the product churned out by the company in the past.

They need a dedicated luxury brand. No one will buy a $70,000 Hyundai.

Graham_A_M
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Very true.:werd:

ZorroAMG
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, hyundai is just doing what Lexus has done for years, copied MB.

So, if you like lexus or infiniti, you HAVE to like Hyundai's new car, or you are hypocrites.

I think they are doing very well and I like the new designs....

SRT10Killer
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
lol

WOW!

This is what the Americans said when Japanese cars first were about to appear in America, but it was about Japanese cars in general entering their market and look where the Japs are today ... EX. Accord/Corolla is america's best selling car for 18 years or something

whiskas
04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
It looks like a rap video took a shit on the front end.

flipstah
04-08-2009, 11:07 PM

If one will build it, they will come. If Hyundai does it up, they can make tons of cash. Look at Acura.

Seriously, who buys a CSX? It's a CIVIC. In the Philippines, the CSX tailights are the standard Civic tailights.

94boosted
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Go Hyundai!

Having Lexus/MB/BMW comfort and looks for well Hyundai prices is a great deal If you could get one of these for the price of lets say a couple year old used Lexus/MB/BMW why wouldn't you?

ShermanEF9
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM
imo it looks like a cheap benz with an over ballin status grille... pretty much the future car of GM executives.

jsn
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Hyundai is making nicer and nicer cars. Great deal for the price, but like someone said above, I doubt anyone with BMW's or Mercedes would trade their cars in for a Hyundai.

badatusrnames
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Thought the same thing when I saw the car... As we all know, that's what Toyota did to move luxury cars in North America and it obviously worked out great.

Any guesses at what Hyundai should call their new luxury badge?

you&me
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Thought the same thing when I saw the car... As we all know, that's what Toyota did to move luxury cars in North America and it obviously worked out great.

With the state of the economy, it would actually be a good time for Hyundai to launch this new brand.

Historically, frugality becomes "in" when times are tough, and a Hyundai lux brand could really take off in these times.

nj2Type-S
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
i like it minus the hood ornament! :bigpimp:

chkolny541
04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
gorgeous! they may become large competitors in the luxury market withen a few short years

benyl
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Hyundai should give one to a rapper that will bling it out. Everyone will buy one.

realazy
04-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

I've heard of talks that Hyundai will take the Genesis name and make it into their luxury division.

I think it fits very nicely and the meaning is exactly what Hyundai is doing.

They already have the Genesis Sedan and Coupe and they look nothing like each other. It won't be hard to make a few more cars under the Genesis name.

sputnik
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Well, hyundai is just doing what Lexus has done for years, copied MB.

So, if you like lexus or infiniti, you HAVE to like Hyundai's new car, or you are hypocrites.

I think they are doing very well and I like the new designs....

:werd:

I remember when many turned their noses up at Lexus.

BokCh0y
04-09-2009, 08:29 AM

I'm heading over to Hyundai to pre-order right now....i'll trade in all my cars for this 30k+ Hyundai...(sarcasm!!!!)

+2:werd:

benyl
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

I'm heading over to Hyundai to pre-order right now....i'll trade in all my cars for this 30k+ Hyundai...(sarcasm!!!!)

+2:werd:

You know what is funny?

People your parents and grand parents age said the same thing about Lexus.

In 10-15 years, people will be rocking $60K+ hyundais (not taking inflation into consideration).

History has a habit of repeating itself.

Redlyne_mr2
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by benyl

You know what is funny?

In 10-15 years, people will be rocking $60K+ hyundais (not taking inflation into consideration).

You're right... let's not forget the VW Phaeton lol.

culebra
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
if Equus comes into NA market it's gonna be very interesting.
personally i drove previous gen equus couple years ago while i was in korea. For those who were surprised wth Genesis interior, you guys will be more excited on this. :)

benyl
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM

You're right... let's not forget the VW Phaeton lol.

haha, come on man, you are in the car industry.

The Phaeton is a luxury car, with a people's car badge but at a luxury car price.

This car will be a luxury car and a people's car price.

There is a huge difference.

berbatov
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
[...]I wouldn't spend over 30 grand on a Hyundai.
Most in the market for a luxury / sports vehicle wouldn't spend some 37+ on your 32X. Although the name is great, one is not getting much else besides that.

... personally, would had loved buying a 4.6 instead of my 3.5 3 months ago, but found out about the Genesis too late.

Canmorite
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
They do one hell of a job of copying the current luxury auto manufacturers.

benyl
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

So did Lexus.

gpomp
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
hyundai isn't new to the full size luxury car market. the equus has been out since 99 over in asia.

911fever
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM

You know what is funny?

this is true.

Graham_A_M
04-10-2009, 01:50 AM
And thats why I'll never buy one. :rolleyes:

berbatov
04-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Smart young buyers want value. This and the Genesis will be/are good buys.

ChappedLips
04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Buy the Hyundai then debadge it I guarantee most people would have no idea what it is.

I agree they need a new luxury brand, in no time Hyundai will be a top luxury car brand.

ZorroAMG
04-10-2009, 10:58 AM

So did Lexus.

Did??

Does. Still.

berbatov
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ChappedLips
Buy the Hyundai then debadge it I guarantee most people would have no idea what it is.
They already have the option to change logos for the Genesis. Smart.

A2VR6
07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
More detailed pics of the Equus:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5030/agequusfrtlt.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3751/agequusrtrear.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2946/agequusdash.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/811/agequusbackseat.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5977/agequusreclined.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4342/agequustable.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3198/agequusrrseatctrls.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1521/agequusmassageremote.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5580/ag09equusshifter.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7991/agequusseatctrl.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8701/agequusfridge.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6342/agequusintleft.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4659/agequusfrtseat.jpg

Kloubek
07-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Foot reclining seats? Fold-out dinner trays? Wow.

Not sure if Hyundai is trying to go for the throat of luxury, like Mercedes, or ULTRA-luxury... like Rolls and Maybach...

flipstah
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Now I gotta hire a driver for my Equus.

Bizzareo
07-18-2009, 11:03 PM
:barf:

Its still a Hyundai.

psycoticclown
07-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
:barf:

Its still a Hyundai.

With no Hyundai badging on it though.

crez
07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I think it's pretty cool. Yes it's still a Hyundai. No people won't trade in a BMW for it, but everyones gonna have to admit that it's pretty sweet. Doesn't everyone remember when Honda first came, the crapbox civics, that we now think are kinda neat, and look where that put Honda now. I think maybe Hyundai is going overboard, but I'll definitely give them some credit.

Eleanor
07-18-2009, 11:40 PM
No one in NA wanted to buy Nissans when they first came out either :dunno:

And now even the most balling guy in Cow-Town drives one, with Nav & Tech package of course.

psycoticclown
07-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

And now even the most balling guy in Cow-Town drives one, with Nav & Tech package of course.

:rofl: :rofl:

rockanrepublic
07-18-2009, 11:51 PM
you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

flipstah
07-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

But it'll be the prettiest pig in the sty. :thumbsup:

Plus, since when have you seen a massaging pig before?

2EFNFAST
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd hate to say it, but that's not half bad. Plus I've heard their reliability and quality (in general) is really up there these days.

Plus the fact it doesn't have any hyundai badging :rofl:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Smart move on Hyundai to build themselves up like this, they just should have waited to launch a "Genisis" brand before showing cars like this in NA.

If I saw this exact car under a new badge name, I would still know, and think it's a hyundai.

D911
07-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Smart move on Hyundai to build themselves up like this, they just should have waited to launch a "Genisis" brand before showing cars like this in NA.

If I saw this exact car under a new badge name, I would still know, and think it's a hyundai.

Yeah, I honestly dont think your average consumer will look that far into it. You may, but the average person will take a look at it (especially with genesis rebadging) and think its a pretty cool vehicle...and being that you drive an aveo, i wouldnt think you were in the market for luxury vehicle anyways.

zain123
07-19-2009, 04:26 AM
^^ :eek: ownage!

i wud soo rock this back home n have a personal driver :zzz: aha i wish

vengie
07-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by D911

Yeah, I honestly dont think your average consumer will look that far into it. You may, but the average person will take a look at it (especially with genesis rebadging) and think its a pretty cool vehicle...and being that you drive an aveo, i wouldnt think you were in the market for luxury vehicle anyways.

I Lol'd, nice moves sir

I actually quite like it! and like above mentioned Hyundai should definatley launch a luxury brand, especially if they are developing cars of this caliber.

Canmorite
07-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd still take a LS460 over this if money wasn't a problem.

Lex350
07-19-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree I don't like the front end of the car at all.....tacky...and the lines don;t flow well.

89s1
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Tacky with lines that don't flow?

Sounds like a 5 series to me. ;)

max_boost
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd still take a LS460 over this if money wasn't a problem.

Yep! Just saw one the other day, the lines are so smooth. Yes ZorroAMG, I know they copied MB! haha

psycoticclown
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

5hift
07-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:rofl: sigworthy

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-20-2009, 12:12 AM

I didn't know that I had to own a luxury car to consider purchasing one.

All this coming from the '01 Civic over here. Real ballin' :poosie:

I don't think people are that dumb.
A new luxury brand comes out and people are going to ask questions like... who owns it, where did it come from, where is it made, where are the parts from etc...
These things aren't common knowledge for other brands, but most people who are even a little bit of a car enthusiast and considering a BMW/Lexus/Merc are gonna consider these questions before they dive head first into a brand new brand.

psycoticclown
07-20-2009, 02:37 AM
^^Most average consumers don't know shit about their cars. Outside of where the manufacturer is from (even that isn't always common knowledge) and if the car is nice or not (status symbol, interior, looks, etc), they won't know stuff like where the parts are from, where it's made, etc.

Hell, most people don't even know their Toyota's or Hondas are built stateside, that some domestics are built in Mexico, that Mercedes builds some cars in Alabama. And I know for a fact that a lotta people don't know who owns who. Like that VW owns Audi or Ford owned Jaguar and Land Rover. Or how many cars are the same, Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. And most people don't care about where their car is built, just that it's Japanese, or Domestic or German.

And at the end of the day, if the car is priced correctly, like E-class/5 series pricing or cheaper, but with an interior that rivals or surpasses that of an S-Class/7 Series, which it clearly does, than that is what they are going to choose. Especially in a recession. That's why the Genesis is doing so well.

Sure the brand whores might not get it, but I think Hyundai isn't looking at established buyers of a certain brand and to persuade them to buy their vehicles. I think they are aiming at first time buyers of higher-end luxury cars, people who aren't dead set on getting a BMW because their last 2 cars were BMW and they can't look past the fact that a 7 Series may not be their best choice. Instead, people who are maybe shopping for their first luxury car, and if it's priced right, this car might be the same price as a nicer brand name car, but with the interior, lots of people are going to be taking a good look at them. It's way more ballin to tell your friends that you got fold down picnic tables, wine cooler, reclining seats, massage, etc in the back than to tell them about that new E class.

And tbh, I think car enthusiasts will embrace this car the most. Look at how many people think the Genesis Coupe is great value for their money and is a great car? The brand name didn't dissuade them at all. CTS-V is a great example, priced much cheaper than a comparable M5 or E63 AMG, but with performence that is much better. All the car enthusiasts are raving about how great the car is and if the Equus is the same with their interior, exterior, driveability, etc, than the exact same is going to happen.

Konj
07-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Chill Hyndai,,,
Are you kidding me? All that back seat luxury LOL!
As if people who can afford a driver want to be seen in a Hyundai.... Lets not forget that the driver's yearly salary would be more expensive than the car its self. *face palm*

The difference between this car and the Lexus is that Lexus sets the standard. This copies the standard.

All Hyndai did was copy styles from various different luxury manufacturers and put it together. All in one.
Lets play a little game. Lets put together a list of every detail they copied.

Outside body: Lexus
Clock in the middle: Infinite
Display controller: BMW
Back seat features: Mercedes Maybach
The little change box: Mercedes
Rims: John Deere Tractor

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
A lot of people I talk to actually do know little tid bits of information here and there about random car manufacturers. Most people who own city Golfs know that they were put together in Mexico, likewise, most people who own Aveos like my own know that they are actually Daewoos built in Korea. No concrete evidence for you, but personal experience.
Bottom line is that if a Genesis brand pops up out of no where people are going to ask questions. The reason that people didn't know that ford owned Jag and LR was that these were established companies. No one gave a damn because there was already an established reputation.
Look at all the doubt that's been shed on Tesla Motors no, they don't have a parent company, and yes it's a different kind of car, but the vehicle itself has gotten great reveiws but the company really hasn't turned a profit yet (When was the last time anyone heard anything about this car?) and it's been like four years!

There is a much bigger market of brand whore people then there are of first time luxury buyers. I may be a bit off because I only know the calgary market well, but people love their status symbols. That's why they buy a luxury car. Tacky extras like a fold down table and a wine cooler are not going to impress your friends as much as the blue and white emblem, especially when one of your friends who actually knows something points out that you're driving a glorified Hyundai.

Do they make the CTS-V in Canada? I agree, the Caddy is freaking awesome. I still have yet to see one in calgary roads, or in an auto trader (Granted I am not looking for one in the trader). Every CTS that I see I look extra hard at, because I have always wanted to see one. Yet I never have, Genesis' are new, but if they're such hot sellers how come have I only seen one so far since they came out? Damn good car, but Hyundai has a bad light to shed, and I don't think that making a new brand is going to be enough. Especially after exposing their top level cars to the market and then rebadging them w/o changing anything on them (what's left to make better on the Equus?).

slinkie
07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
You've only seen one genesis since they came out? do you live under a rock lol

Xtrema
07-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Konj

And the V8 engine is reverse engineered from BMW's.

The fact is, they put together quite a nice package but at least aspire to have a halo car not like Honda (which it's halo S2000 is going away) and Nissan (which Maxima is just a rehash of Altima).

The Korean is starting to have original design as well. Look at Soul, Genesis coupe, the next Sonata etc. I won't convert the European crowd but it will take from the Japanese.

BTW, Tata owns Jag and LR, not Ford.

psycoticclown
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Konj
Chill Hyndai,,,
Are you kidding me? All that back seat luxury LOL!
As if people who can afford a driver want to be seen in a Hyundai.... Lets not forget that the driver's yearly salary would be more expensive than the car its self. *face palm*

The difference between this car and the Lexus is that Lexus sets the standard. This copies the standard.

All Hyndai did was copy styles from various different luxury manufacturers and put it together. All in one.
Lets play a little game. Lets put together a list of every detail they copied.

Wow your a fucking idiot.

This car isn't supposed to be for people who need a driver. Hell, 99% of the population will never ever have a driver for them. It's competing with the S class, 7 Series, XJ, A8, etc. Not the uber expensive Maybach's, Rolls Royces and Bentley's. What kind of idiot will cross shop a Maybach with a car that costs less than 1/5th the price.

I see tons of people driving S classes, 7 series, etc and I've never seen one with a driver. Just because this has a nice back seat doesn't mean it has to have a driver driving you around. I see Bentleys being driven by their owners. Even in Rodeo Drive when I was there last year, I only saw one guy with a driver and he was in a Maybach 62. All the other Benzos, Maybachs, Rolls Royces, Bentleys and luxury cars I saw were driven by their owners.

Originally posted by Xtrema
BTW, Tata owns Jag and LR, not Ford.

Haha, I wrote Ford owned Jag and LR :)

D911
07-20-2009, 10:46 PM

I didn't know that I had to own a luxury car to consider purchasing one.

All this coming from the '01 Civic over here. Real ballin' :poosie:

I don't think people are that dumb.
A new luxury brand comes out and people are going to ask questions like... who owns it, where did it come from, where is it made, where are the parts from etc...
These things aren't common knowledge for other brands, but most people who are even a little bit of a car enthusiast and considering a BMW/Lexus/Merc are gonna consider these questions before they dive head first into a brand new brand.

Never said you had to drive luxury to consider luxury, I'm just saying the luxury you want, being the BMWs/Lexus'/Merc's you probably cant afford(being that your drive an aveo).

Nice counter by bringing in my civic :rolleyes:, however you missed the point. I am saying the exact opposite of how ballin' I am, and thats why im saying this Equus is a good choice for a non-ballin person like myself who would want the same luxurious options as its more expensive competition.

I also fully disagree on the stupidity of people when it comes to buying cars, I'd say the average car buyer is pretty easily impressed by shiny things and tacky features.

psycoticclown
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
^^:werd:

Hell, half the people on this board are impressed by the backseat of that car haha.

Dope7
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Looks like the New 7series wanna be.

EW:werd:

freshprince1
07-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Not bad. They will pick up newcomers to the luxury scene, especially in this economy. People who want the 7, A8...etc. do so because of the image. Some people don't care that much about image, and if they can get the same features for way less, they'll go for it.

Hyundai is chipping away at their perceived status. I am proof of that. I would say even a year ago I would pretty much scoff at the thought of ever owning or driving one. Now, with the Genesis, G Coupe, new Sonata, I might consider one of them someday. Meaning, I no longer write off the thought of driving a Hyndai simply because it is a Hyundai. That is what I beleive they are trying to accomplish,a nd I think they are making serious steps towards that end.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Never said you had to drive luxury to consider luxury, I'm just saying the luxury you want, being the BMWs/Lexus'/Merc's you probably cant afford(being that your drive an aveo).

Nice counter by bringing in my civic :rolleyes:, however you missed the point. I am saying the exact opposite of how ballin' I am, and thats why im saying this Equus is a good choice for a non-ballin person like myself who would want the same luxurious options as its more expensive competition.

I also fully disagree on the stupidity of people when it comes to buying cars, I'd say the average car buyer is pretty easily impressed by shiny things and tacky features.

I don't think there was any reason to make a snide comment like that and troll around then. If you're gonna poke fun at someone for not bein' a baller you best make sure that you're not just as poor as them. Just pickin' an e-fight I guess. :banghead:
For the record you have no idea what financial situation I am in right now, for all you know I could be in the market for an upgrade after saving for a long time. (I'm not, I am a broke ass student)

But in any event, I am not going to say it again, I think people tend to make educated decisions on what they do, and I don't think a lot of people here give the general population about people buying luxury brands enough credit. I mean they have the money for something nice, so must be doing something right.

On a side note, didn't ford used to own Jag and Land Rover and recently sold them? Or was it just AM that was owned by ford?

D911
07-23-2009, 12:53 AM

I don't think there was any reason to make a snide comment like that and troll around then. If you're gonna poke fun at someone for not bein' a baller you best make sure that you're not just as poor as them. Just pickin' an e-fight I guess. :banghead:
For the record you have no idea what financial situation I am in right now, for all you know I could be in the market for an upgrade after saving for a long time. (I'm not, I am a broke ass student)

But in any event, I am not going to say it again, I think people tend to make educated decisions on what they do, and I don't think a lot of people here give the general population about people buying luxury brands enough credit. I mean they have the money for something nice, so must be doing something right.

You should save your breathe really. For what reason would I need to be a baller myself for saying that i would own this hyundai? The fact that its on the cheap end of luxuries with high end luxury equipment is what sells me on it. You on the other hand are playing it out like you would most certainly purchase a MB/BMW/Lexus at any moment over this car, I was simply calling you out on your inability to do so, and that your opinion is essentially null as you seem to like to talk from the perspective of a potential luxury car owner, yet you have no means to do so.

Also you contradict yourself in saying that luxury car buyers are smart and will look into whats going on with each car when you said earlier that:

There is a much bigger market of brand whore people then there are of first time luxury buyers. I may be a bit off because I only know the calgary market well, but people love their status symbols. That's why they buy a luxury car.

So somehow you think that these consumers will both simply buy a car based on the shiney logo on the back, but still do a bunch of research in where parts come from, what the ownership structure of the company is, etc?

Just because the consumer has/makes money doesn't mean they know shit-all about cars.

403Gemini
07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by you&me

+1

I've had several recent conversations that went something like "Wow, have you seen the new Genisis? Such a hot car, what a deal" etc... To which I usually reply "yeah, but would you trade your BMW/Lexus/Benz/etc for it?"

The answer is always no.

I would guess less than 5% will cross-shop S Classes and 7 Series against this based on brand perception alone.

That said, I dont think Hyundai is going after the Lexus/Benz market but rather Infiniti. To be honest, I'd take the v6 hyundai genesis coupe vs a g35.

Mibz
07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

That said, I dont think Hyundai is going after the Lexus/Benz market but rather Infiniti. To be honest, I'd take the v6 hyundai genesis coupe vs a g35. I agree. Hyundai wants my business, not my Dad's. Smart move if you ask me.