PDA

View Full Version : Class 4 Drivers test - Manual Transmission - help?

NickGT
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
This isn't for me. It's for my girlfriend. She is training to be an EMT and requires a class 4 drivers license. She is allowed to use her own vehicle. Her car is a manual and she has been driving since she was 16. She is a very good driver. But she is really nervous for her test tomorrow. Neither of us can remember what deducts points in regards to manual transmission during a road test. I wish I could help her but its been a long time since I did a road test. Does anyone have any pointers?

Thnx in advance.

5000Audi
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
few things i know of are

1) dont let the car roll back. ( they will probably take her on a hill to test it)
2) dont over rev the car
3) DONT STALL lol
4) keep it in gear when comming to stops
5)downshift( my instructor wanted me to downshift comming to lights, but get her to ask about that since some people are differant)

those are the few i know

EK 2.0
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Also never shift when rolling over railroad tracks....Get into gear before...drive over then shift...

And tell her I wish her luck....;)

Ashers
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
If you're really worried about a manual, you could always go rent a automatic for the day.

kolumbo69
04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Bawh just rent a car from there place if she's worried, remember shoulder check ,shoulder check, shoulder check. Otherwise its just the same class 5 test just for 30-45 min

topmade
04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I think these are some of the things they look for when testing in a manual car.

- Keep the car in gear when coming to a stop, but take it out of gear when stopped and only put it in gear when you are ready to go.
- Don't change gears in an intersection.
- Don't ride the clutch
- Don't leave your hand on the shifter, put it back on the steering wheel as soon as you finished shifting.

chkolny541
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
few things i know of are

1) dont let the car roll back. ( they will probably take her on a hill to test it)
2) dont over rev the car
3) DONT STALL lol
4) keep it in gear when comming to stops
5)downshift( my instructor wanted me to downshift comming to lights, but get her to ask about that since some people are differant)

those are the few i know

pretty much sums it up, and OP i just took my class 5 advanced the other day and passed with flying colors, i still have the marking sheet at home, if you need it i could scan and you can see specifically what she would loose point on potentially. I beleive the sheets are the same for all tests, so the class 5 and class 4 point would be gathered the same way

NickGT
04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys. She passed her exam today without losing a single point. :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

Thanks for the help guys. She passed her exam today without losing a single point. :thumbsup:

It's cause I wished her luck....

Ashers
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Why are we not allowed to over rev the engine? If it's my car, can't I change gear when I want to? For example, I have a TDI, and you have to change at 3,000 RPM to stop the turbo getting jammed up. And 3000 RPM in a diesel sounds like it's going to lose a rod.