PDA

View Full Version : Computer Format gone wrong!!

sevewone
04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey so I borrowed an external cdrom drive off a fellow Beyond member hopeing I could Format my computer. with my computer being properly formatted I figured I could put in the XP disk and it would automatically detect it on start-up. Wrong! This is just an external Cd-rom running through a USB. I cant even run on Safe mode because of this (obviously) , so yeah I have no clue what to do and I have no computer now till this is fixed. any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Grogador
04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Your PC doesn't have built-in CDROM? Have you gone into the BIOS to change the bootorder (cdrom before HD/IDE/SATA), or does it say something like "F2 for setup, F12 for bootmenu" at the initial POST screen? Make/Model# would help too...

adam c
04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
put the files on a usb stick
when you start the computer it should ask you to boot off of it thinking it's a cd-drive (depends on the usb stick that is)

but yes, why don't you have a cd-rom is it a EEE pc or something? is there a format partition on the computer that you can load and reformat that way?

sevewone
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Your PC doesn't have built-in CDROM? Have you gone into the BIOS to change the bootorder (cdrom before HD/IDE/SATA), or does it say something like "F2 for setup, F12 for bootmenu" at the initial POST screen? Make/Model# would help too...

First off it's an older dell, heres the specs.
http://www.openpinoy.com/shop/step1.php?number=212

And yes I do get the option to go to f2 for setup, I changed the boot menu for CD-ROM to be first. Thing is I think since the laptops usual external cdrom is normally ran through the db21 serial port, its not detecting it, thus not working. Can I add a boot order that goes directly to USB?

Originally posted by adam c
put the files on a usb stick
when you start the computer it should ask you to boot off of it thinking it's a cd-drive (depends on the usb stick that is)

but yes, why don't you have a cd-rom is it a EEE pc or something? is there a format partition on the computer that you can load and reformat that way?

I perfer not to have to copy all the files onto a USB, and isnt there locks on some of the field that dont let you anyways? And no its not an EEE its just a weird model Dell came out with that really slim with everything being external.

Grogador
04-08-2009, 11:29 PM
quite possibly too old to boot from USB devices... is there a "USB" boot device? still some options though... look up the newest BIOS version/date for it, then check it against the one you have... of course you don't have floppy either sooo not many options for flashing it heh

maybe you can borrow a cdrom for it from someone? you could pick up a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA/40pin adapter at MemEx for $40 (handy little gadget) and get something bootable onto the HD that way... or swap the hd into another laptop to install...

also... can it PXE/network boot?

sevewone
04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
quite possibly too old to boot from USB devices... is there a "USB" boot device? still some options though... look up the newest BIOS version/date for it, then check it against the one you have... of course you don't have floppy either sooo not many options for flashing it heh

maybe you can borrow a cdrom for it from someone? you could pick up a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA/40pin adapter at MemEx for $40 (handy little gadget) and get something bootable onto the HD that way... or swap the hd into another laptop to install...

also... can it PXE/network boot?

I really, really dont want to swap the Hd from it. And this cd-rom is already borrowed, and I dunno how easy its gunna be able to be getting a serial port cd-rom as this one was tough to track. And buying one really isnt something I wanna do as im broke like 75% of calgary. hahaha Like if worst comes to worst is ill copy it all to USB but ive tried the boot order for usb being first and it doesnt doa damn thing. I dunno ill keep trying some other stuff, thanks for the hints guys.

Zero102
04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Serial port CD-ROMs don't exactly exist, and you can't boot from a serial device anyways. USB CD-ROM drives are used for booting all the time.

Grogador
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Serial port CD-ROMs don't exactly exist, and you can't boot from a serial device anyways. USB CD-ROM drives are used for booting all the time.

Older laptops had external CDROMs that hooked up through what looks like a serial connection.

So it has a "USB" boot item in the BIOS? vaaaagueness sucks if you want help.

topmade
04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
This external CD-ROM you are using, does it have one or two connections - one for data, and one for more power? I had the same issue trying to format my mini laptop because eventhough I can use it with just one connection normally to play DVD's and stuff, I had to use the two cables for the format.

sevewone
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by topmade
This external CD-ROM you are using, does it have one or two connections - one for data, and one for more power? I had the same issue trying to format my mini laptop because eventhough I can use it with just one connection normally to play DVD's and stuff, I had to use the two cables for the format.

I think theres just 2 females on the back of the cd-rom. ones AC and ones usb, ill double check. and for the record this is a Older laptop with NO internal floppy or cdrom, everything is external.

sevewone
04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
So there is NO other possible cords that can fit in the back of the Cd-rom. So you guys think the best bet is for me to copy all the files on thumb-drive?

SpireTECH
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Some Dell's ship with a recovery partition built-in. I'm not sure if yours does or not, but try pressing the key combination Ctrl+F11 during startup. This boots the restore partition (DSR) on equipped models.

If you don't have DSR, you'll have to try USB booting. As you've already indicated you are having troubles with the USB CD-ROM. Unfortunately this laptop is from the age when USB boot support was hit or miss.

If you can't USB boot, you're really down to one last option. You'll have to remove the hard drive, and load the Windows installation files onto it using another computer. Then put the hard drive back into the laptop, and perform a Windows install from the hard drive.

Here are the details on how to do that: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/578/windows-xp-installing-from-harddrive/

You'll have to improvise a little bit, and setup a DOS bootdisk on the primary partition, instead of booting from a floppy disk. This whole process can be a little tricky, so if you're really looking for a hassle-free way of doing this, bring it in to a pro.

em2ab
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
It's an older laptop so the BIOS likely doesn't allow for booting from USB. If it's not an option in there then you've confirmed that it doesn't. Go to www.dell.ca, put in the ID number from the bottom of the laptop and it'll bring you to a page with all the available drivers and updates for your particular machine. Find the newest BIOS update and do that, check again to see if you can boot from USB. If you can't then it's not even an option as setting up a CDROM via USB is not the same as booting from CD.

The only thing to do is rip out the hard drive, if you want to bring it over here, I can install Windows (legal copy) for you in an hour or two. I got some IDE ports on my motherboard.

SpireTECH
04-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
It's an older laptop so the BIOS likely doesn't allow for booting from USB. If it's not an option in there then you've confirmed that it doesn't. Go to www.dell.ca, put in the ID number from the bottom of the laptop and it'll bring you to a page with all the available drivers and updates for your particular machine. Find the newest BIOS update and do that, check again to see if you can boot from USB. If you can't then it's not even an option as setting up a CDROM via USB is not the same as booting from CD.

He's not going to be able to update the BIOS if the system doesn't boot.

em2ab
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SpireTECH
He's not going to be able to update the BIOS if the system doesn't boot.
touche
He could fire in a drive that's already formatted and do it but that's just a technicality.

sevewone
04-24-2009, 11:35 PM
got it working! The usb input wasnt working, thanks for your help tho guys,i appreciate it