PDA

View Full Version : Bad time to be an apprentice?

megafandrew
04-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey guys this is a question for any apprentices/Journeymens out there that might be able to offer me some tips. I am a registered apprentice in the Millwright trade, Im in my 2nd year of hours and did the 2nd year of school in May/June 08 at SAIT. I have been out of the trade since September 08 and need to hand in my acceptance/release cards to update when my last work date was. As of now my contract expires at the end of April but once I hand in the other cards that should be bumped to Sept. 09? (I believe you can be out of the trade for a year's time before they cancel your contract and then you have to re-register and hopefully get credit for your hours/schooling I think?) While I am employed right now its not in my desired field/trade what are some things I can do to extend my cancel date if I cant find work? Any other apprentices in this situation? I am working a labour job at Finning and while its great and has trades oppurtunities I dont want to lose my millwright apprentice contract and 2 years of work with that! Let me here some similar situations or suggestions on what to do, its slim picking out there for millwright apprentice jobs right now or im just not looking in the right places. I am also going to apply to 1460 millwright union.

D. Dub
04-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Study harder, work harder and make more of an effort than everyone else and you'll be fine ;)

Sophal
04-09-2009, 09:09 AM
you can be out of any trade for 18 months before then cancel it off on you. Also in the event that they do cancel off. When ever you enter the trade again you can have it reactivated and continue on with the apprenticeship. What you should do is hand in your blue book get it stamped and have it up to date. Also speak to the apprenticeship board let them know of your situation. They might just ask you to cancel it off for the time being until you find work in the trade again. Best of luck

megafandrew
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks you guys for the advice, I am either going into the actual apprenticeship office today or Monday as I think tomorrow is a holiday? Anyways I really enjoy the trade so that is why I am worried about losing it, I would like to at least finish to the ticket. I better hand in those cards too! I actually need to rewrite my final exam for 2nd year, I got a 67% (did not study at the time stupid I know but alot of shit was going on) you need 70 I believe but the first re-write is free thankfully. Im going to work harder/study harder when I get back into it thats for sure. thanks :)

Alright went to the apprentice board everything is ok and I found out they can cancel it for you but you can easily come back to the trade. Now just to find a job in the trade lol. Thanks guys

supaj87GTS
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Are you working in the Truck shop or Dirt? give me a email at
[email protected] I'm at the Br77 Truck engine Service shop.

I'm sure we will be looking for an apprentice soon...

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 99

Jordan Eves

megafandrew
04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by supaj87GTS
Are you working in the Truck shop or Dirt? give me a email at
[email protected] I'm at the Br77 Truck engine Service shop.

I'm sure we will be looking for an apprentice soon...

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 99

Jordan Eves

Thanks Jordan I did send you an email. If any other apprentices on here are looking for work and not employed in their chosen trade let me know what your doing to get buy or if your updating by going to school etc. Its nice to here how other's are dealing with same issues.