PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Walmart 5w30 vs Mobil1 0w40

Toma
04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Disappointing dyno day... wanted to break 150 whp in the GSR. Ran some baselines, swapped plugs, and then changed from the cheapest junk 5w30 Walmart oil to Full Synthetic European formula Mobil 1 0w40 oil.

Made many runs, was keeping track of oil temperatures (they were what affected power output the most.)

Zip, Zilch, NADA for a power gain. Best tonight was 146.2 on the shit oil...

I cant believe it, I specifically used the 0w40 Mobil cause it was supposed to be the best Euro spec oil...

Gonna have to try something else next time.

http://www.dynomotive.ca/oil.jpg

GQBalla
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
hmmm interesting.

that actually boggles my mind

Toma
04-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh.... it's interesting how sensitive this dyno is.... one tire has a bit of a wobble to it, and under certain speeds, you can see it oscillate in the power graphs lol

revelations
04-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Do another test after running 5000kms on the "shit oil" and see how it does then :nut:

SRT10Killer
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
why did you spend $ dynoing a integra ? I could have told you what hp it produced.

tubby89
04-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Toma owns his own dyno; so cost is negligible. I would probably throw on a chevette for shits and giggles if I had my own dyno. I've always wondered about cheap oil vs expensive synthetic myself, and I'm surprised by his findings.

ps. Toma is probably one of the most talented tuners around.

heavyD
04-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I assume the engine is a B20? If so that makes sense. You will see alot of blow-by at high RPM's with synthetic oil on a B-series engine.

Toma
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
B18c

And I gues I didnt make it obvious.... although It may appear like there are only two runs.... I want you to know that a Total of 27 runs were made.

And the Honda's oil temp after beating the fuck out of it, 'stabilzed' at about 160, and that is where best power was with both oils.

Even at low oil temperatures, like 120 degrees, the two oils were identical in power, albeit down about 5-6 hp from best.....

In fact, bone cold, ie after the oil change (about 80 degrees), the synthetic was down around 9 hp. I never did get a chance to test the non synthetic that cold, as I drove the car down to the dyno, first run was 120.

cyrusli
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Try Eneos next time.. it's a branch of Exxon i believe....made in Japan, used in Japan. I use that for track, all other times of the year I use a German oil called "LiquiMoly" 5W30 for both.

but yeah, I really don't think oil does make a huge difference in gain, it just runs smoother, doesn't necessarily mean it increases HP. imho.

lastly.. excuse my ignorance as I don't know much about dynos.. but isn't 146hp low for a b18c?

Cyrus

ExtraSlow
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not surprised at all, since the Mobil is supposed to be "thicker" at full temp than the Wal Mart 5W30.
Run some 5W20 and I'll bet you pick up some power.

That's not to say that the Mobil 0W40 might not protect your car better than the other brands or weights, but that's a totally different argument.

Toma
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by cyrusli
Try Eneos next time.. it's a branch of Exxon i believe....made in Japan, used in Japan. I use that for track, all other times of the year I use a German oil called "LiquiMoly" 5W30 for both.

but yeah, I really don't think oil does make a huge difference in gain, it just runs smoother, doesn't necessarily mean it increases HP. imho.

lastly.. excuse my ignorance as I don't know much about dynos.. but isn't 146hp low for a b18c?

Cyrus

No, the 146 wheels is right on where it should be on my style of dyno. DynoJets probably read higher, but I bought something realistic.

Toma
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm not surprised at all, since the Mobil is supposed to be "thicker" at full temp than the Wal Mart 5W30.
Run some 5W20 and I'll bet you pick up some power.

That's not to say that the Mobil 0W40 might not protect your car better than the other brands or weights, but that's a totally different argument.

Yep, I know, I used 0w40 because it was rumoured to be the best of Mobil 1's line.

I was more after trying to see any anti friciton affects versus viscosity, but you are correct of course in your observation.

I called Red Line, and asked which of their oils in my viscosity range would make the most power, and they told me to try the 30w race oil... so I may try that.

cyrusli
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Toma

No, the 146 wheels is right on where it should be on my style of dyno. DynoJets probably read higher, but I bought something realistic.

I see.. thanks for the clarifying it with me =)