PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a "different" lunch?

Vagabond142
04-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm intereted in places to munch where the food isn't considered "normal."

These days, Vietnamese, burgers, even by-the-slice pizzas and all kinds of subs are considered mainstream. I'd like to find a place that does things a little differently, as well as expand my tastes. I'm talking foods that I've never had before, things I normally wouldn't think "hmm, I'm peckish, let's to go eat (item here) for lunch."

Price range is within $10, and I have the policy of always try something once. Last time I challenged my friends with this, I ended up eating bun bo hue soup, and have been hooked on vietnamese food since... so it's time to try new stuff again :D

A790
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Indian food ftmfw.

Vagabond142
04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, gimme some spots that have a nice quick lunch? :D

mac_82
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Portuguese BBQ, Gourmet California-style Burritos, Roti, and Gourmet Poutine are all the popular stuff in Toronto right now. Anyone who has been to Burrito Boys knows what I am talking about.

Not sure where you can find that kinda stuff in Calgary, I have heard Tropical Hut/Hot in Forest Lawn and the Roti Hut have good Roti. Never been myself.

bubbley
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Maharaja restaraunt - rocky mountain plaza
i believe take-out lunch buffet is just over 10 bux or you can dine in

:poosie:

GQBalla
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Well, I'm intereted in places to munch where the food isn't considered "normal."

These days, Vietnamese, burgers, even by-the-slice pizzas and all kinds of subs are considered mainstream. I'd like to find a place that does things a little differently, as well as expand my tastes. I'm talking foods that I've never had before, things I normally wouldn't think "hmm, I'm peckish, let's to go eat (item here) for lunch."

Price range is within $10, and I have the policy of always try something once. Last time I challenged my friends with this, I ended up eating bun bo hue soup, and have been hooked on vietnamese food since... so it's time to try new stuff again :D

pho is so good, stick with pho ehehe

Sorath
04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
depends where u work

arian_ma
04-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Thai food man...so good
Red curry!!!

Amysicle
04-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Well, gimme some spots that have a nice quick lunch? :D I think I had indian for the first time a couple of weeks ago with some co-workers. It was at this Tiffin Roti and Curry house just off of Memorial... It was interesting and not nearly as spicy as I thought it would be.

CMW403
04-10-2009, 12:50 AM
eat korean barbeque at the place called korean family barbeque across from churchill

anhsicun
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
Portuguese BBQ, Gourmet California-style Burritos, Roti, and Gourmet Poutine are all the popular stuff in Toronto right now. Anyone who has been to Burrito Boys knows what I am talking about.

Not sure where you can find that kinda stuff in Calgary, I have heard Tropical Hut/Hot in Forest Lawn and the Roti Hut have good Roti. Never been myself.

chicken roti is the shit :) can't remember the name of the place but its by edmonton trial and memorial in a plazza with mac's. if only we had real jamacian beef patties like Toronto , that shit is good with coconut buns :drool:

Vagabond142
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I've eaten at that Roti place... had some curried goat roti with a Ting soda. Memories of Antigua right there (I went on field school to Antigua in 2004 :D)

pattyt
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

Can you recommend any places around U of T??? ive pretty much exhausted all the kinds of food in the close area.

CKY
04-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
eat korean barbeque at the place called korean family barbeque across from churchill

You might wanna double check the names of the restaurants you eat at before you go in next time. That place is call Hankang.

They have lunch specials during the weekday for $9-10 and it's got rice, a bean sprout salad, a spring green salad, 2 vegetable spring rolls, fried garlic potatoes, and a choice of chicken or beef ribs as the meat, all jammed on one plate. Great deal IMO.

bulaian
04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
Maharaja restaraunt - rocky mountain plaza
i believe take-out lunch buffet is just over 10 bux or you can dine in

:poosie:

I love this place, it's right by my office

3g4u
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
My weekly lunch's go as follows

Monday - Edelweiss ( 20 Avenue Nw) Great German/east European food for under $10/person

Tuesday - Harley Dinner ( inglewood)
Good ol greasy burger and fries in a nice atmosphere.

Wednesday - Lina's Italian market (Centre Street NE )
Best Pasta in town for under $10/Person

Thursday - Dim Sum at Regency Palace or Silver Dragon (Chinatown)
MMMMM DIM SUM.

Friday - Sumo on tenth (10th ave SW) Decent Sushi and GREAT waitresses.
OR Rajdoot (4th street SW)
Awesome Indian food and they got a buffet at lunch that is great and awesome waiters.

I think I got a nice mix of different ethnic foods for sure. lol.

adidas
04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
European Bakery(17 ave and 4st sw)

has some Eastern European food.

Cheese pie, Meat pie, Spinach pie.

The Cheese is my fav, and its only 3.50 a slice, that will prob be more then enough for an avg individual!

Vagabond142
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u

Monday - Edelweiss ( 20 Avenue Nw) Great German/east European food for under $10/person

That's like a 5 min bike ride from my place XD

nonlinear
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
green chili has awesome takeout, and now locatoins all over the city. very reasonably-priced, and large portion sizes

greenchili.ca

Swank
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
If you work in the core, Copper Chimney in Gulf Canada square food court has really good Indian food for around $8-$11.

sputnik
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Swank
If you work in the core, Copper Chimney in Gulf Canada square food court has really good Indian food for around $8-$11.

Strange. I found the Copper Chimney to be one of the worst EI restaurants downtown.

Cheap meat with bland sauce.

bubbley
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Swank

Absolutely disgusting food.

mac_82
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by pattyt

Can you recommend any places around U of T??? ive pretty much exhausted all the kinds of food in the close area.

PM'd you a huge list. :drool: