PDA

View Full Version : The Return to Fitness... (without a gym)

Vagabond142
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I know I have created a few of these threads in the past, and something has always happened, either good or bad, that drags me off the straight n narrow. Most recently, it has been a year and a half of pain and agony from surgery and complications (nerve entrapment syndrome).

Because of this, I have, sadly, fallen prey to the vices of bad health, namely a general laziness about doing things and some improper eating habits.

Well, after a very heart to heart with a close friend of mine who did a 5 month gymless challenge and saw positive results, I am going to give it one more good ol college try, except this time I think I have the motivation to succeed.

My questions to the Beyond population are threefold. I have already asked about nutrition, diet, motivation, etc. My questions are:

1) For gymless training, that being no access to a gym or gym equipment, what forms of in-house exercise are available? I've been reading a lot about the amazing things you can do with a length of rope tied to the ceiling with a foot loop at the other end, just wanted to get the most comprehensive set of exercises possible.

2) My goal is not specifically weight loss. My goal is FAT loss. I know I have a strong frame and well developed musculature from years of martial arts, sports and activities in my teens and early twenties. However, I am still very clueless on the ideals of TARGETTED fat loss. My main areas of concern are my abdomen and chest, where I have accumulated a not-so-healthy amount of excess fat. So, what pointers, that DO NOT USE supplements, chemicals, or surgeries, do you all have to help me take down the fat and bring out the definition and tone I know is hiding under there?

3) The biggie: rotation and schedule. Every time I launch into this, I ask about it and get 15 different answers. Well, I want to consolidate, get those 15 answers again, and figure out what specifically works for me. So, for someone that has access to parks, bikeways, easy access to local swimming pools, and a large area for ground based exercises (pushups, situps, etc), what is a good way to find a schedule and exercise rotation that fits me?

I have decided to cut out, entirely, sodas. I fell off that wagon before, but this time it's for sure. If I need caffeine, it will come from natural sources such as mild teas and the like. I am not adverse to holistic approaches as well, via herbs and such that activate natural body chemicals to help with fat burning. I just don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars on supplements. I want to do it naturally, as the body intended.

Pursuant to this, I have started on a much more vegetarian based diet. I've cut rice down by almost three quarters of my regular intake (about 2.5 cups a week) to keep starches low. I am doing much more with green beans, kidney beans, black beans, all boiled or steamed naturally. Salts have been reduce by a drastic level. Meats, when consumed, are trimmed of fats and cooked with the fats that are locked into the meat itself drained as much as possible. My fiber intake is up, as is my water consumption (I'm at about 4-6 L per day now, up from about 2-2.5 L. I measure by keeping my water in 2L pop bottles).

I know that it's not the focused diet I need, but it's a general start.

And lastly, the motivation behind all this. At one point, I was keen on the military. I was all set and ready and then medical circumstances knocked me off that path. Well, now that I've struggled through it all, I'm 27, overweight, lazy and with a dim outlook for a career in my field unless a miracle decides to land itself squarely between my eyes. And so... I am looking at Signals and Intelligence in the military. It deals with computers, is a technical job, and can lead back to civilian careers if/when I leave the military.

Thing is... you need to be fit and healthy to join the Forces, and I am neither. However, I also cannot afford gym fees AT ALL, so all my exercise has to come from natural sources, be it my own body weight, natural resistances (gravity, wind, etc) and commonly available weighty objects around the house (I've heard 4 L milk jugs are great adjustable weights).

Darkane
04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Basically you can't spot fat reduce without supplementation.

Accumulated fat deposits in certain areas in most cases are due to hormonal imbalances.

Work on getting lean first <10% BF, then if the problem persists a more aggressive approach can be taken.

alloroc
04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
You cannot 'target' fat loss. Your body metabolizes it from wherever it thinks is easiest - which means your gut is last.

This is the best program I have seen in about 10 years....
http://www.goltv.ca/video/?video=109

Darkane
04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
You cannot 'target' fat loss. Your body metabolizes it from wherever it thinks is easiest - which means your gut is last.

That used to be the case. Some trainers are making it pretty good right now because of Hormonal Analysis.

This man in Particular is dominating:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/poliquin.php

Check out his Biosigniture Hormonal Analysis work. I'm on it right now, although a 'lite' version.

I'm getting tested again April 17th. I will compare my previous readings to the new ones and I will know exactly how much MORE fat was being lost from my target areas.

Just visually I can tell it's working so far.

Here's some more info on Biosig:

http://www.upfitness.co.uk/articles/miscellaneous-musings/is-spot-reduction-a-myth-biosignature-modulation-with-charles-poliquin.html

JMaj7
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I had a similar problem and I saw the best results by doing intervals (running) and doing kettlebell workouts (24 kgs). Took a few months of a lot of sweating.

Wildcat
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
No more WoW or videogames.

That's my honest answer. Doing that alone will result in better sleep patterns, motivation, energy, mobility and an overall increase in your quality of life. No supplements or Gym membership required!

Darkane
04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

Actually that was probably the best thing I could have done for my Body composition. Dropped WoW and all other games.

Don't miss them at all anymore. Mind you that was 3.5 years ago.

People still play WoW? :poosie:

Wildcat
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
It ironic cause i just got a PS3 yesterday for the sole purpose of playing street fighter and blu-rays lol :rofl:

5hift
04-09-2009, 03:15 PM

That's my honest answer. Doing that alone will result in better sleep patterns, motivation, energy, mobility and an overall increase in the quality of life. No supplements or Gym membership required!

Not trying to be mean but :werd:

You keep failing on attempts at a healthy life, because you have to change your entire lifestyle, not just work out for 15 mins doing pushups and lifting milk jugs.

Ditch video games. Its easy to tell WoW rules your life. There is a reason almost everyone that lives in front of a computer for a living has a gut or is out of shape. Get away from the computer and get outside. I dont eat healthy all the time. I drink, smoke, do a lot of unhealthy stuff. Yet I'm at least apperence wise, despite lazing up and not hitting the gym regularily, in great shape because I'm out daily, whether its running my dog, deciding to walk to school instead of driving, etc.

Clean up your diet a bit, but if you just ditch the comp and take up a daily outdoor activity you will notice a significant change in months.

Set your goal for the first month at just eating clean for every meal, cutting out soda completely, going out for a 20 minute walk every day, and doing 25 pushups (whether you can do em all at once or in chunks here and there). If you actually commit to this and dont see significant results I will buy you a years suscription to WoW, because there is no way you wont get results.

revelations
04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
The OP mentioned going to the military. I looked at The Marines workout book, and its pretty intense. Almost all the exercises are bodyweight derived. You just need a bar or something to do pull/chin-ups on. Matt Furey also has an intense body-weight workout book.

I ditched the gym membership years ago and now follow this route. I can even do this on the road when I am staying in hotel rooms - I just use the bathroom door (as long as its strong enough) to do pull-ups.

5hift
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
the op is clearly far away from doing pullups or a workout even close to what the marines do

benyl
04-09-2009, 03:32 PM
3500 calories = 1 lb of fat

Figure out how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight (there are many online calculators).

Lower that by 250 - 500 calories / day.

Get at least 500 calories of exercise 3 times a week.

You can lose 1-2 lbs of fat per week that way. It is a lifestyle change.

Stop eating out.

Not convinced, watch this marketplace episode about how many calories there are in foods when you eat out.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/calorie_confidential/

Mibz
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Cancel your WoW account and you're halfway to a gym membership. Plus you'll have a lot more free time to go.

revelations
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
the op is clearly far away from doing pullups or a workout even close to what the marines do

It wont start out as a full on workout.

The level of progression for pushups for eg. is as follows:

1 standing against a wall pushing off (lean as much as you can)
2 on your knees
3 on your toes
4 on your toes, with your feet elevated on a chair....

max_boost
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Get P90X and stick to it.

max_boost
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Figure out how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight (there are many online calculators).

Stop eating out.

Not convinced, watch this marketplace episode about how many calories there are in foods when you eat out.

haha yeah that's why I'm hitting weights 3X a week and cardio and badminton because I was just getting fucking fat. Being short is bad enough but short and fat = :barf: :thumbsdow soooo.....by exercising, it offsets all the high calorie stuff I eat. I won't get ripped because the diet isn't there but at least it keeps the fat in check! lol

Vagabond142
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Its easy to tell WoW rules your life.

So, because I know a lot about the game from being a former hardcore raider, and because I only play in the evenings, my life is ruled by WoW? Because I spend my saturdays walking down the park at the end of the road (Confederation Park) and generally trying to rebuild my stamina after a year off my feet due to medical circumstances, WoW rules my life?

Yeah...

I'm not trying to come off as condescending, just saying that you are judging this particular book by it's slightly colorful cover :P I will admit, having the signature that I do doesn't help matters, but I am strictly and only casual in WoW now.

I will admit, in the past it may have come off that I was a hardcore gamer, and I was. If you want the brutal honest truth, all I had was gaming for a while. Got me through a tough time, weird kinda crutch I know, but it did. It's a hell of a lot healthier than if I had taken up drinking, gambling, smoking, or any other vice that people have. But, now that I'm healed and healthy and no longer in agony every waking moment, I can be mobile again, and I am. I walk, I look forward to the snow melting away completely so I can bike again without getting mud all over me XD, and I do stretch daily in hopes of regaining my mobility and freedom of movement that has atrophied over a year of being able to do little to nothing at all regarding physical exercise.

Now that that is out of the way and over and done with, let's move on to the other items in the thread.

Set your goal for the first month at just eating clean for every meal, cutting out soda completely, going out for a 20 minute walk every day, and doing 25 pushups (whether you can do em all at once or in chunks here and there). If you actually commit to this and dont see significant results I will buy you a years suscription to WoW, because there is no way you wont get results.

I accept your challenge. I am already walking 30-40 minutes a day, and I can do 15 flat palm pushups, with the hands under the shoulders, so I raise your challenge to 2x15 (30 total) per day. Sodas are already gone, I'm 95% water now, with a cup of tea with no sugar and a small dash of milk every evening, so consider that flavored hot water. As of Monday this past week, junk foods (even the "healthy" junk foods (like sunchips), which are the only types I've been having) are replaced with plain rice cakes. I have cut down my portions of each meal, and I am trying to adjust to having two small lunches instead of one to help my body adjust to smaller portioning.

To track the challenge, I will weigh every morning, as soon as I get out of bed, to get the best "empty weight." My subscription runs out May 15, so we'll set the end date at May 10 so that the results can be analyzed.

Matt Furey also has an intense body-weight workout book.

Will look for it, I plan to lose the fat first, then work on cutting and trimming using body weight and natural resistances.

Vagabond142
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Will look into it. No clue what P90X *IS*, but will look into it.

max_boost
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
With the weather warming up, no excuses, go out side and run. Lots and lots of cardio if you want to shed the weight!

max_boost
04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Get shredded in 3 months. If you have as much dedication to this like you do in WOW, you'll be seeing crazy results.

revelations
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
BTW I wouldnt recommend Matt Fureys book until youve gotten results first slimming down by reducing body fat.

kamakurakid
04-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Stop eating out.

When I am doing my cardio workout (3-4x/week), the figure of 3500 calories always motivates me. Everything I eat, I am thinking about the number of calories and how it translates into my cardio workout. Is a beer worth the extra time you need to erase it on a treadmill? One a week OK, but any more and it is trouble. All considered there is a need to remember good differs from bad calories, other things to consider.

I set aside one day a week where I can eat anything I want, the funny thing is by time that sacred day rolls around I am only interested in good food. The same food and drink I have had all week. Mindset is the key.

kamakurakid
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM

I once read you lose fat last, from the place you first gained it. In other words, the gut in most cases. Once the gut is gone, not much else to remove....to a point.

max_boost
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid

When I am doing my cardio workout (3-4x/week), the figure of 3500 calories always motivates me. Everything I eat, I am thinking about the number of calories and how it translates into my cardio workout. Is a beer worth the extra time you need to erase it on a treadmill? One a week OK, but any more and it is trouble. All considered there is a need to remember good differs from bad calories, other things to consider.

I set aside one day a week where I can eat anything I want, the funny thing is by time that sacred day rolls around I am only interested in good food. The same food and drink I have had all week. Mindset is the key.

Also remember, when you are working out more, your metabolism is higher! Therefore you can burn that extra beer more quickly than otherwise if you had a sedentary life style :D

alloroc
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid

I once read you lose fat last, from the place you first gained it. In other words, the gut in most cases. Once the gut is gone, not much else to remove....to a point.

Yup.

That program on goltv.ca is great and most of the excercises can be done at home. The Trainer for Toronto FC was the personal trainer for Beckham when Beckham was getting in shape to come to the LA Galaxy. As well as a premier team in England before coming to Canada.

kamakurakid
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Yup.

That program on goltv.ca is great and most of the excercises can be done at home. The Trainer for Toronto FC was the personal trainer for Beckham when Beckham was getting in shape to come to the LA Galaxy. As well as a premier team in England before coming to Canada.

The England team was Newcastle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Winsper

He was there during the "better" years, it must have hurt leaving his hometown team. As a sad, long time NCFC fan, I can say he was certain to be under the gun for performance. The guy knows his stuff, too bad the team was/is "rebuilding". I really need a new team....

JMaj7
04-09-2009, 07:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQwHGiAyyBU

and to add to what I mentioned about kettlebells

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=86088A4C16FFEF0A

if you train hard and keep it creative, you will see results pretty fast.

(read the comments on the above videos because not all of them are that good)

A nice 24 Kg (maybe start lighter?) is like 80 bux at fitness depot.

Vagabond142
04-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Weight at start: 239

Weight now: 237

What's been done:

Diet: Meals have been cut down even more in portion size, but increased in frequency. Now at 5 meals a day, breakfast -> light snack -> light lunch -> light snack -> supper. Increased water intake to a solid 6 liters a day, averaging about a half a liter per hour. Light snacks are usually a fruit or fruit combo, a rice cake, undressed salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, etc, without any dressing on top). Been a mostly vegetarian weekend with lots of beans, lots of natural fibers. Ass has been flapping like a flag for it, but I am feeling... cleaner... because of the "detox" it seems to be doing to my body. I still have the flab, I just feel healthier a little.

Exercises: I have an old 4L milk jug 1/2 full of water (2L water, measured roughly from emptying a 2L pop bottle into it), which I have been using for physio for my core (twists, slow squats, etc), after surgeries and also after emailing back and forth with my doc as to the best physio I can do with open, adjustable weights. Also, 3x15 pushups throughout the day (morning, noon, evening), and when I walk to get something, I am walking at increased pace. Also, dedicated 20 minute walk around the block (2 laps of the block, which also has wildly changing topography (flat on my street, flat side street, back street is flat leading to sharp incline upwards, other side stree is sharp, long incline downwards)).

Hurts a little, but I think it's because my body is getting used to working again.

Mentally, I've decided to aim for 15% body fat, and military standards of physical acceptability by January 2010. Those standards are:

Pushups: 19 in one go
Situps: 19 in one minute (last time I did military situps I could do 50 in one minute, so I'm okay there, just got to build back up to that)
Hand grip force: 75 kg (equivalent chinups are approximately 6 clean, full pullups until the chin breaks the line of the bar and is held for 1 second)

Here's the biggy: 2.4km run. I'm not a good runner any more, my strength is sprinting, always has been. I always push too hard on distance running. To meet military "Acceptable" standards I need 2.4 km in 11:56 bare minimum. To meet "Superior" standards, I need to do it in under 10:13. My goal, then, is to aim for 11 minutes dead.

So, I would like to take this post to ask for stamina building exercises that can be done at home, PROPER running technique/running help, and how to ramp up my running properly so I can get to 2.4km in 11 minutes and not be at the end of my energy. I want to run 2.4km and still feel good enough to do another km or so before I am burnt out.

Even if I don't go into the military, at 27, I think it's time I stopped ignoring my body. I want to live to be 90 and be active all the way

:thumbsup:

Vagabond142
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, after a few months of thinking about it... I'm going down tomorrow to put in for MarS Officer (Navy) :thumbsup: It's a challenging position to get, so I'm going to double my training and get a lot more cardio in.

I feel pretty good about the decision now that I've made it... I have been beating about the bush on it for years now, but now that I've decided... yeah, I feel it's for me. :D

natejj
04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Quit WoW.

I quit a year ago.... got a part time job on top of my fulltime... while my friends made it to 80 and geared up, I made about 10k working 15-20 hours a week. Not only that, but dropped 15lbs since then.

Vagabond142
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
More progress: started 2km speed walks (above regular rate of walking by average 50%) to start prep for jogging and then running.

Weight is now 235 lbs (yes, 5 lbs in a week), which I think is just excess baggage that has been shed via fitness + adjusted diet. I *do not* expect that rate of loss from here on out now, as I am starting to build muscle slowly and the routine is starting to stabilize.

I'm also feeling really good... was rough for the breathing the first couple of days, but now that my lungs are getting used to me pushing slightly, they're adjusting. I do smell ripe after workouts tho XD

Next week I start with heavier free weights (3/4 full milk jugs with water), carried (3 walked laps around the block) and then for stabilization and light weight lifting. I don't expect to start putting sand in them for about 3 weeks.

I am also ramping up my pushups (to failure) every 3 days... so now I'm at 3x21 per day. Situps are going lightly 3x10 a day, because I wanna make sure, as I have a weakened abdominal area, that i build it up gradually and safely.

feeling great already :thumbsup: Also, mentally, knowing that I have a goal that is achievable and worth it is really helping me motivate and get into it :D

Vagabond142
04-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Another update:

After doing lots of research, did some measurements and I'm already seeing results :O

As today is the official start of my set diet, I decided to get some generic figures set about me.

When I first started exercising vigorously, I had 27% body fat (Yikes!) and was 240 lbs, couldn't walk 500m without being out of breath, and was eating fairly poorly.

Today, I am at 26% body fat (1% gone already), 235 lbs, and I hiked Nose Hill from the parking lot on 14 St NW near the police station to the parking lot midhill on Shaganappi (the 4 way intersection) and then BACK in 1h35m, without stopping for breath at any point (lungs did hurt for the first 10 or so minutes) or taking any of the between path shortcuts. I feel proud already of being able to do that. Two weeks ago, I would have passed out halfway XD Using google maps, that hike was approximately 6-7.5 km over variable topography (lots of ups and downs)

I'm still at 3x21 pushups (got to 23 on one set but the last two were sloppy so I didn't count them) and went to 3x15 on situps (military style). Minimums for the Canadian Forces are 19 military style (thumbs in line with outside of shoulder) pushups and 19 military style (feet flat, knees 90 degrees, back flat on floor, fingers behind ears, curl up and bring elbows forward to tap knees, curl down) situps.

With the adjusted diet I'm starting into (controlled portioning, I calculated I need about 3k calories per day to effectively exercise), I'm really hoping to see my body fat drop to about 18-20%, which is my goal for BMOQ start for the military, and my end goal (where I want to be happily) is 12-15% BF overall.

Realistically, I just want to lose some of the gut and really work up my endurance and stamina so that when I do go to basic training I'm not flopping about like a fish out of water when doing PT and the Confidence Course and 13 km forced march in full combat kit.

And to those that are harping on about my WoW... I havent played all weekend.

:poosie:

A790
04-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Another update:

After doing lots of research, did some measurements and I'm already seeing results :O

As today is the official start of my set diet, I decided to get some generic figures set about me.

When I first started exercising vigorously, I had 27% body fat (Yikes!) and was 240 lbs, couldn't walk 500m without being out of breath, and was eating fairly poorly.

Today, I am at 26% body fat (1% gone already), 235 lbs, and I hiked Nose Hill from the parking lot on 14 St NW near the police station to the parking lot midhill on Shaganappi (the 4 way intersection) and then BACK in 1h35m, without stopping for breath at any point (lungs did hurt for the first 10 or so minutes) or taking any of the between path shortcuts. I feel proud already of being able to do that. Two weeks ago, I would have passed out halfway XD Using google maps, that hike was approximately 6-7.5 km over variable topography (lots of ups and downs)

I'm still at 3x21 pushups (got to 23 on one set but the last two were sloppy so I didn't count them) and went to 3x15 on situps (military style). Minimums for the Canadian Forces are 19 military style (thumbs in line with outside of shoulder) pushups and 19 military style (feet flat, knees 90 degrees, back flat on floor, fingers behind ears, curl up and bring elbows forward to tap knees, curl down) situps.

With the adjusted diet I'm starting into (controlled portioning, I calculated I need about 3k calories per day to effectively exercise), I'm really hoping to see my body fat drop to about 18-20%, which is my goal for BMOQ start for the military, and my end goal (where I want to be happily) is 12-15% BF overall.

Realistically, I just want to lose some of the gut and really work up my endurance and stamina so that when I do go to basic training I'm not flopping about like a fish out of water when doing PT and the Confidence Course and 13 km forced march in full combat kit.

And to those that are harping on about my WoW... I havent played all weekend.

:poosie:
3K calories just for effective exercise? That number seems high to me... I'll be bulking next month at around 3,200 calories/day. I cut last month at 2,400 calories/day, and (no offense) I follow a much more vigorous exercise regimen. Am I missing something here?

Vagabond142
04-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by A790

3K calories just for effective exercise? That number seems high to me... I'll be bulking next month at around 3,200 calories/day. I cut last month at 2,400 calories/day, and (no offense) I follow a much more vigorous exercise regimen. Am I missing something here?

I am doing the Toronto FC regimen that Alloroc posted at the start of this thread. I calculated from many sources, including the P90X nutrition guide, that I need 2200-2400 calories for daily living (235x10), about 450-470 ((235x10)x0.2) for daily movement. Add em together with 250-500 calories for exercise and you get: 2200+450+250 = 2900 on the low end, so I am keeping my calories low without stressing my body too much, hence 3k.

Most other guides (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, as well as nutrition calculators all over the place) give me the same approximate result of between 2800 to 3300, so 3k seems a fair average.

A790
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM

I am doing the Toronto FC regimen that Alloroc posted at the start of this thread. I calculated from many sources, including the P90X nutrition guide, that I need 2200-2400 calories for daily living (235x10), about 450-470 ((235x10)x0.2) for daily movement. Add em together with 250-500 calories for exercise and you get: 2200+450+250 = 2900 on the low end, so I am keeping my calories low without stressing my body too much, hence 3k.

Most other guides (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, as well as nutrition calculators all over the place) give me the same approximate result of between 2800 to 3300, so 3k seems a fair average.
No, no dude... if you're trying to cut fat you need to maintain a caloric deficit. Roll with 2,500 calories, which is just above your maintenance level. Your workout will create a good deficit and allow for sustained fat loss. At 3K a day I'd bet you're probably going to plateau pretty quickly as I doubt you have the metabolism to sustain 3k/day without more vigorous exercise/muscle mass.

Darkane
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM

No, no dude... if you're trying to cut fat you need to maintain a caloric deficit. Roll with 2,500 calories, which is just above your maintenance level. Your workout will create a good deficit and allow for sustained fat loss. At 3K a day I'd bet you're probably going to plateau pretty quickly as I doubt you have the metabolism to sustain 3k/day without more vigorous exercise/muscle mass.

This is true.

Vagabond142
04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
okay. so I'll aim for 2.5k cal per day, and I am doing the Toronto FC workout 3 times per day, and 3 reps per exercise per workout. I guess it's a little confusing between maintenance, cut, workout, bulking, etc, when the information you're reading doesn't use such wording XD

Ah well, I've also started work on my 2.4km timings. Did a fast walk today, did 2.4 km in just about 23 minutes dead. In 8 weeks, I am going to have that down to under 12 minutes, which is the CF minimum, especially after what the recruiter was telling me today, namely that intake for MARS officers should be high this summer because of a lot of fleet promotions as well as the new Province Class destroyers and Unnamed Class frigates coming down the pipe for 2015.

So, definitely into military fitness prep now o_O

Vagabond142
05-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Whoa... going from speedy walks to slow jogs is a bit of a hurdle. My lungs aren't very happy with me now, but I'm gonna keep at it, so they get used it XD

Did 2.4km in 18 minutes (like I said, a SLOW jog). 6.5 mins to trim off that and I'm golden :D

It hurts, but in a way it feels really really good... once I've stopped coughing XD These past few weeks my body has really felt like it's purging a lot of crap out of it. I have more energy, I have muscles sore that I didn't know existed, and I am able to walk long distances at a normal pace now without becoming winded. I guess the advice of slow but steady and keep it going works :D Another thing... went to go meet my buddy that just got in from working up in Fort Mac (drill site security worker), and he opened a can of pringles. Innocent, simple pringles. I used to be able to polish off a can in a couple of hours, no problem, during a movie. Now, when he opened it, I couldn't stand the thought of em, and it even smelled bad (like my brain knew it was a good smell, but then it went "NO!"). So I think it's working

And to the weight trackers: 233 lbs. Still got the jiggly tummy, but it's a little less jiggly. :D

ZorroAMG
05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Motivational goals with end dates are a good thing too, dude.

Try registering for a run of some sort, ie cancer runs/ms walks etc that require you to pay a donation to register etc and the longer runs (10K) etc or you can raise donations from people and that will motivate you to do the run. These kind of things also have a training schedule that you could adhere to and then competing is only the last hoorah..getting there would be the fat loss journey...

Good for you on trying to get your health in check...A790, Dark, myself etc all have some knowledge in this realm...ask away, Beyond's got some great resources...

Keep at it, man!

Vagabond142
05-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Well, I do have a goal:

2.4km run in 11:30 in 6 more weeks

40+ pushups without too much effort within 6 weeks (hence the 100 pushup challenge I'm doing)

Being able to do at least 3 pullups (chinups) by the end of the 6 weeks

Being able to do 30 situps in 60 seconds (I can do that already, so no worries)

The standards are listed here, despite the fact I'm hoping for the navy :D http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/ENGLISH/1_3_1_5.asp

Also, I could have upwards of 3-6 months wait, because the field I am going into is very competitive and the intake process has to go through review boards and an at-sea assessment period (on the DoD's dime, no less :D)

So, after I meet the minimums, I'm gonna push for the army fitness standard for B-SQ (Basic - Soldier Qualification), as outlined in this handy dandy manual:

http://www.army.dnd.ca/2field_engineers/images/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf

Also, useful for getting ready for the PT test:

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Fitness/doclib/Self%20Preparation%20for%20EXPRES%20Final%20-%20EN.pdf

A790
05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Keep at it bud! The transition from walking to running is definitely a painful one, but it's also rewarding when you really start to see the fat trim down. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to physically go where you want to a little bit quicker... ;)

Vagabond142
05-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Keep at it bud! The transition from walking to running is definitely a painful one, but it's also rewarding when you really start to see the fat trim down. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to physically go where you want to a little bit quicker... ;)

I'm wondering if light jogs EVERY day, or moderate jogs every OTHER day, will contribute more to my stamina and fat loss.

A790
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm wondering if light jogs EVERY day, or moderate jogs every OTHER day, will contribute more to my stamina and fat loss.
One thing that worked out really well for me is to avoid a set routine when it comes to cardio. I did light intensity after my weight days, and high intensity twice a week. Other weeks I'd skip light intensity and really ramp up my high intensity workouts.

I mixed it around a lot and found that my body was better able to approach whatever situation I put it in.

Vagabond142
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, I kinda took that advice and skewed it slightly sideways... I got my bike out, dusted it off (and took a couple years off my life with all that dust *cough*), oiled it up, serviced the brakes, gears, etc... and then rode for an hour...

OW... it's been years since I last cycled about, and wow... my legs are rediscovering the meaning of pain these days. But, it's a good burn, I'm getting some good exercise and cardio in, sweating me testicles off... d(^^ d) feels good.

A790
05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, I kinda took that advice and skewed it slightly sideways... I got my bike out, dusted it off (and took a couple years off my life with all that dust *cough*), oiled it up, serviced the brakes, gears, etc... and then rode for an hour...

OW... it's been years since I last cycled about, and wow... my legs are rediscovering the meaning of pain these days. But, it's a good burn, I'm getting some good exercise and cardio in, sweating me testicles off... d(^^ d) feels good.
Yea I remember when I got back on a bike and realized that I wasn't the 150lb kid I was the last time I rode one...

Vagabond142
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM

Yea I remember when I got back on a bike and realized that I wasn't the 150lb kid I was the last time I rode one...

I'm a 233 lbs adult riding a bike I had when I was 17 >.< (10 years ago). I'm surprised it still works as well as it does, but MAN my wrists are taking a beating because I haven't ridden in so long and there are no shocks on the bike.

On the other hand, I did about 3.5 hours worth of biking today while dropping off resumes, so I got a fuckton of KM's in. Downside: my legs are jelly. I can barely stand up straight. But my lungs are starting to cooperate, so one outta two ain't bad XD

ZorroAMG
05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I commend you bud. Good for you, getting out there and working your ass off! You'll be thanking yourself when your gains become noticeable.

slight topic veer...A790, I am back in the gym now, working the weights back up after the rotator cuff BS...doing more cardio, tennis and yoga...I have NOT forgotten to keep at this...I want my effing six pack!! Oh and PM sent...

Vagabond142
05-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Odd... I seem to be getting fitter, stronger, faster, etc... but mah belleh is still there, exact same measurements as before o_O

And I am portioning like a motherfucker, so I know my calories are in the "cutting zone" as talked about earlier in the thread o_O

Ah well. I've also changed my application to the CF... had a sitdown and chat with a PO2 at CFRC Calgary and decided to apply as an NCM NESOp (Naval Electronic Sensor Operator, the guys that run radar, sonar, and fire control systems (meaning I get to run the weapons, if I'm lucky :thumbsup: ). Upside: much shorter wait. Downside: .... much shorter wait XD Gotta really get in gear now to get fit, could be going to BMQ in as little as 8 weeks if all goes well

ZorroAMG
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Belly will be the hardest and last to go....don't worry, stick with it. Get stronger, faster, fitter...healthier.

No where does it say you need a 6 pack to do what you want.

Vagabond142
05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Belly will be the hardest and last to go....don't worry, stick with it. Get stronger, faster, fitter...healthier.

No where does it say you need a 6 pack to do what you want.

No, but having a 6 pack would be a point of pride... it'd also help getting some of those lovely Vancouver ladies :love: :P (I am HOPING to get a West Coast posting (CFB Esquimalt)).

ZorroAMG
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
6 pack is the hardest thing to get so don't gauge your progress solely on that...

Vagabond142
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
6 pack is the hardest thing to get so don't gauge your progress solely on that...

I know :P I already have a 6 pack, I just keep it warm under a quilt :P

Right now, as I keep saying, my focus is to beat the minimum standards for CF entry (19+ pushups without stopping, no time limit; 19+ situps in 60 seconds; stage 6.0 on a 20 meter shuttle run beep test, which approximates to 2.4km in 12 or less minutes)

Once in the forces, I want to work on further cutting and trimming as well as focused PT, because the field I'm going for has a LOT of sitting around watching screens :)

zipdoa
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM

I know :P I already have a 6 pack, I just keep it warm under a quilt :P

Right now, as I keep saying, my focus is to beat the minimum standards for CF entry (19+ pushups without stopping, no time limit; 19+ situps in 60 seconds; stage 6.0 on a 20 meter shuttle run beep test, which approximates to 2.4km in 12 or less minutes)

Once in the forces, I want to work on further cutting and trimming as well as focused PT, because the field I'm going for has a LOT of sitting around watching screens :)

I'm not trying to troll your thread AT all, but do the Canadian Forces really only require 19 consecutive push ups in a row to qualify??? I would've thought it would be around a hundred!

Jonel
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Canadian Army physical evaluation guideline;

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/ENGLISH/1_3_1_5.asp

Vagabond142
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

I'm not trying to troll your thread AT all, but do the Canadian Forces really only require 19 consecutive push ups in a row to qualify??? I would've thought it would be around a hundred!

Zip... that's the MINIMUM. They do say that you should expect to do anywhere from 50-200 pushups or PT punishment stuff per day, not including the confidence course

Vagabond142
05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
For those watching this thread, I've found a superb, military oriented workout routine that I think will be of great benefit. It's the development PT course for the toughest sons of bitches on the planet, the Royal Marines Commando. You do have to register to see it, at:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/training-tool.html

In "Weekly schedule," I'm looking at working up to the standards that they have outlined for the weekly regimen over the next 4 to 6 weeks. I'm continuing with the 100 pushups challenge in place of their pushups (pressups), but otherwise it's a much more comprehensive total body workout without the need for a gym. They also have good diet tips and great motivation stuff in the "State of mind" section.

They also, in the weekly schedule, have a "typical circuit" outline, and EACH EXERCISE is shown in a video (very helpful). Also, watch the pressups video, that guy does the best pushups (and the style that Canadian soldiers need to do) I have ever seen, bar none.

Dope Dealer
05-08-2009, 08:48 PM
okay. so I'll aim for 2.5k cal per day

Depending on how much fat you need to lose, I would go with 2000 cals/day for 30 days, then when you want to gain mass, go up to 2500 cals for 30 days then to 3000 cals.

Those calorie intakes you read are usually for maintaining size and what not. Most importantly, I would do ratio (30% carbs, 20% fat, 50% protein) which would give you the best results in a short time frame as long as you are eating clean and working out.

Vagabond142
05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Dealer: Maybe that is what is going on. I can feel myself getting fitter and stronger, yet my stomach is still sitting there. I've cut out entirely anything high sodium, as well as killing off unnatural sugars (preserves, jams, etc). I'm almost entirely on eggs, bread, lean meats, green veggies and oats (in a variety of forms, but mostly just boiled and then eaten, sometimes in 1% milk if I want to give myself a little treat), as well as natural fruits (grapes and grapefruits being two majors).

cutting to 2k cals is going to take some adjustment, but starting next week I'll give it a shot. I'm regularly hitting 2.4-2.7 kcals a day with portioning, however I don't know exact exact amounts, because with cooking, everything changes size. But lots small portions of beef (ground beef, well drained of fat and then patted dry before being put into the foods that they go in (like pasta sauces made with fresh tomatoes and herbs, none of the canned or jar shit)), whole wheat pasta, etc. All in moderation. I also try to have a can of tuna, drained and then washed to get the sodium off, every week. Fish is good and has lots of protein, they just pack it in so much sodium o_O

Another thing I've found out is that sometimes, when my body tells me I'm hungry, I have a glass of water or milk and I'm no longer hungry. Odd o_O

EDIT: another thing... I think I've had a real mental shift, because I used to LOVE hamburgers, pizza, proper chips (french fries to you western language types), battered fish. Now, even the smell of a fast food place makes my stomach feel ill, and I can't stand crisps (potato chips) anymore. I can't even put one in my mouth, I actually tried and my brain just said "FUCK THAT!" It's a bit of a shock, but I know it's for the better.

Also, went to the fire station and had the blood pressure/cholesterol check. BP is 130/80, cholesterol is a little on the low unhealthy range but well within "worry limits," and my overall body health is "very good" as the fire paramedic told me that did the checks.

Vagabond142
05-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, I just got back from measuring out a 13 km course (well, roughly, using my car's trip odo)... gonna start doing that every sunday. Canadian Forces recruits need to do 13km in full combat kit (I'll simulate as much as I can with increasing loads in a hiking bag) in less than 2h25m. First run through will be unloaded, and then every weekend, adding 10 lbs to the bag until it's at combat weight (39kg, approx 80 lbs)

So there's my goal. Starting next next weekend, 8 weeks to get to the forced march standard.

I'm starting to push a bit more because I got called by CFRC Calgary today saying that for the trade I applied for, dependant on when my file clears, and I do my final interview, CFAT and meds, I could be off to BMQ in as little as 12 weeks. The alternate is also true, it could be upwards of 8 months before BMQ. But I want to meet the standards that I have for myself this summer.

Vagabond142
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Okay, since I know some nutri-nuts (sorry for the terminology, but it fits) are watching this thread, and I'm not shy about asking even the weirdest questions. Over the past few days I've increased my consumption of potatoes. I used to do a couple of slices with my eggs in the morning, but as I'm starting to workout more, I looked up some healthy veggies and potatoes (boiled, and not covered in any topping) came out as a very good source of recovery protein and carbs. Now, the weird question: ever since I started doing half a potato every other day, my ass has been flapping like a flag in a strong wind. I don't think it's worth a trip to the dr's office yet, was just wondering if excessive flatulation comes from increased fiber, carbs and protein. Until now, most of my protein has been meat based, but Im trying to even that out against good veggies.

Vagabond142
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow... may have overextended myself today... went from Charleswood and Northmount all the way down to the Colliseum Theaters in the south.... and then back UP to home... without getting off my bike (except to cross streets). Took me about 4 hours all together... 1.5 to get down there and the rest to huff n puff my way back uphill the entire way XD

It's a good thing to puke from the exertion when you get home, right? :D I did toss el luncho, but I honestly feel fucking AWESOME. I am sore everywhere, my legs are fucking jelly, my lungs are on fire, and the first thing I thought of after the 3 dimensional burp was.... "Damn, let's go do that again!" :rofl: However, tomorrow is my 2.4k timed run and 5k relaxed walk in the morning, and Royal Marines workout in the afternoon day. I can really feel myself starting to develop under my flab, as in my core is feeling a lot stronger, my wrists are strengthening from the beating they take doing pushups and riding a bike without shock absorbers, my arms are actually VISIBLY increasing in size (yay pushups), and I can actually jog (slowly) comfortably over about 3k while being able to talk sensibly. It's an amazing feeling, now I think I start to understand why joggers do it every morning :P

Vagabond142
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
The best motivation... running into a girl I was friends with in University, that I hadn't seen since 2005, and the first words outta her mouth were: "Damn, you're looking good"

:poosie: :poosie: :poosie: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, despite working towards the military, it seems that I am garnering female attention as well. Double bonus! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anyways... still carrying the same amount of stomach and chest flab, although I have noticed that my moobs have shrunk a bit... probably from the pressups and the reduced diet I have.

Vagabond142
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, I now know that my brain is fully fit. Aced the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test.

From the partial interview I did today (some stuff is still on it's way back to the CFRC from Ottawa), it looks like I'll be filled into a September basic, which I would leave for on, of all days.... 9/11 <.< Omen much? Anyways, that gives me 13 and a bit weeks to get into shape.

So... lots of time to get fit. I just had to post to celebrate my high aptitude score, because the test..... FUCKING hard. I am bound by NDA to not discuss what was actually on the test, but I'll just say that my brain felt like mush after it was done :)

revelations
05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I hope these motivate other people into getting their butts in gear. :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, for those tracking my progress:

Today's weight before breakfast: 231. Two lbs gone in a week and a bit. Not bad.

I'm now doing 2.4k in about 17:15-17:30, and my lungs don't feel quite like calling a general strike at the end. So endurance is up too :D Biking is going well.

Pushups are in Week 3 of the pushup challenge, and situps are at about 40 in 60 seconds.

So it's all coming along famously :D

bigbadboss101
05-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Keep up the good work!

403Gemini
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM

That's my honest answer. Doing that alone will result in better sleep patterns, motivation, energy, mobility and an overall increase in your quality of life. No supplements or Gym membership required!

Haha while I do agree this will help with the sleep, if you put 1-2 hrs into the gym everyday and make sure you do it before playing video games, you won't feel guilty about playing a game for an hour or two a night. Its all about prioritization.

Originally posted by max_boost

This.

After 2 months I lost 26 lbs...

209 to 183... Now i free float between 183-187 (cause body weight changes so fecking much). I had to take 2 weeks off of the gym for a trip to new york (I still did pushups and situps at the hotel) and then when i got back I had the flu for a week (NO ITS NOT SWINE!)

Im back to the gym now and its good to be back :)

Vagabond142
05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Did 125 km on the bike today... my legs are utter jelly XD

Downside: hit a hidden pothole and bent my rear rim, as well as cracked the weld on the front fork :\ But, I am lined up to get me a new bike this weekend to replace the POS that is dying, so hey, all good d(^^ d)

403Gemini
05-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Keep up the good work Vagabond ! :)

Trust me it takes some time, but when you start to look the way you want to in a t-shirt, it all becomes worthwhile.

I used to have the fatguy-skinnyguy complex (a gut with small arms) and now i'm evening out with consistent work outs. The bellys still shrinking, but its not as toned as i want, and thats what i keep working on, however im around the weight i want to be. But my arms... its nice they are filling out t-shirts and tshirts are feeling tighter on me now :D

Right now I'm hovering at about 2500-2700 calories a day with a minimum of 1 hr of weight training a day (sometimes i do 5 minutes of cardio, other days i do 30 minutes).

Just keep up the good work man and results will happen! Bet the bike ride really helped, i love sweating so much, makes you feel like you are melting the fat off of you :clap:

What type of bike are you getting? I'm looking at buying one for the summer.

Vagabond142
05-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's the bike I got:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0534.jpg

And FUCK ME is Nose Hill steep >_< I went up the front of it, ie the flyover walking/biking bridge over John Laurie between Charleswood and that other road that's west of it (brain is not cooperating now). That mother is STEEEEEEEEEP. However, I kept at it, didn't get off the bike, was in first gear at the pedals and 2nd at the rear, and when I got to the top I just fell over on my side in the grass and lay there panting for about 5 minutes. My HR was probably nearing 160-180 on the slower end of things... and yes, I was absolutely DRENCHED.... but, it was fun :D

I'm taking a couple days off my weight/bodyweight training to let my muscles recover... right arm is getting very minorly sore by the elbow, so i want to let it recover vs injuring it and fucking over my chances of getting to Basic training.

I'm still carrying a bit of a stomach, but the scale read 231 again this morning.

However, this week... I'm going to start adding the McHugh Bluff stairwell to my biking 3 times a week (my chillout rides). Comfortably cruise to the stairs, lock up the bike, and start with the aim for 4 laps up and down. Once I can do that nicely, 5 laps, then 6 laps, all the way up to 10. Apparently resistance cardio like that is the best fat burner, and that's what I need to lose most of. I'll get the endurance from training in the military... it's the flab I gotta cut BEFORE basic that counts.

Also... I'm getting quite the sunburn with all this sun. Vitamin D YAY! :D (gonna have to start carrying sunscreen with me on rides :P)

Vagabond142
05-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, I think it's working! Was biking around downtown just for fun, ran into a female friend of mine from university that works downtown now. She did a double take at me and was "dayum!"

We got to talking as we walked to the TD building, and despite my being drenched in sweat (it's fucking muggy out there today), before she went into TD, she planted a huge smackeroo on my cheek (with her lips) and grinned VERY coyly at me.

And yes, I got her number XD

I guess it's now physically showing that my arms are getting bigger and my stomach is getting smaller (compared to 3 years ago, anyways o_O!)

As for today's ride... Bowness to Downtown, lunched there (PB&B, homemade granola bar), ran into friend, then got back onto the bow trail all the way down to Fish Creek... and then turned around and came BACK the entire way. Ow :cry: but worth it :clap:

Vagabond142
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
And the new weight is.... 229!:clap: :clap: :clap: I've broken through 230 :D So that puts my average weight at 229-234 over the course of a day. It's slowly coming down! :D

shadowz
05-28-2009, 04:36 PM
And the new weight is.... 229!:clap: :clap: :clap: I've broken through 230 :D So that puts my average weight at 229-234 over the course of a day. It's slowly coming down! :D

Congrats keep it up!!