PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Car Deals out there?

2BLUE
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Everyone keeps saying theres great deals out there. I don't see them. I'm shopping right now and I see no difference in prices. If anything prices are higher.

I bought my 2002 Honda civic si (2door)for $21.863.13 everything in brand new.

Now a new Honda civic si 2 door) is over $25k plus all the fees.

Same goes for old stuff ... Im also looking for ford 350 desil and they forsure aren't any major deals out there.

prae
04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
i was just shopping for a Tacoma and it was pretty pathetic, best I could do was a 2.1 lease APR or 3.9 financing... no cash incentives.

the domestic dealers seemed to have better cash incentives and appeared a lot quieter than import lots like toyota&honda.

max_boost
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Well you know, that 2002 Civic Si had 130hp and the 2009 has 200hp.

You should be comparing the 2002 Civic Si to a 2008 Civic LX. :drool:

Tacoma is a nice truck. Hot seller maybe?

anschutz_92
04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
There are deals, you just have to bully the sales people into giving them. In this market not many people are buying so dealerships are getting hungry for sales. Things like finance rates are generally out of their hands, but you can definitely get a lot of options/accessories thrown in.

If the dealership isn't pissed at you when you take possession of your car, then you suck at negotiating.

5000Audi
04-10-2009, 04:44 PM
the domestic is great of cash deals, i talked to a buddie at a chevy dealership and for a aveo the cash discount was like 5 grand or somthing... its pretty good, as for imports... dont seem to be that great...

i was looking for a lil toy box for the wife, heres a few prices

09 Nissan Versa- 17,000$ with auto tranny
09 Chevy Aveo-10,000$ with an auto tranny

roughly both those cars are the same list price BUT GM offers huge cash incentives right now.. so we never bought her a car yet, shes still lookking but were kinda leaning on domestic cars as of right now

oh and with GM you get 5 years no cost maintence.. ( even tho you pay 750 for it when buying the car lol)

Team_Mclaren
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
comparing an 02 si to an 09 si:facepalm:

max_boost
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Check this

2006 C55 AMG, 355hp = $75K

2009 C63 AMG, 450hp = $63K

Sometimes a car does improve AND the price is lower lol :bigpimp: :burnout:

94boosted
04-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
There are deals, you just have to bully the sales people into giving them. In this market not many people are buying so dealerships are getting hungry for sales. Things like finance rates are generally out of their hands, but you can definitely get a lot of options/accessories thrown in.

If the dealership isn't pissed at you when you take possession of your car, then you suck at negotiating.

:werd: Very True! As a former Car Salesman myself I know this is true for a fact, the customers that get the absolute best deal on their cars are the ones you just want to punch in the face

gpomp
04-10-2009, 11:36 PM
t&t honda was selling 08 si's for $22k + tax.

911fever
04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
yeah if you shop in Calgary, you'll see the same prices. Shop elsewhere and you'll see most of the other markets have dropped huge.

psycoticclown
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Check this

:werd:

Look at the 350z and the 370z. The 350z was 10k more base than the 370z is now IIRC. Too lazy to check the numbers right now.

gpomp
04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Check this

04 sti: $50k
09 sti: $40k

berbatov
04-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Pay cash. I got 5000 off for the import

2BLUE
04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I was at Dodge today and man what a joke.

First off the guy sales guy was telling me this has been there best month. Looking out front there is alot of cars and trucks with sold signs. Everytime I saw something i liked sales guy said its sold.

There is incentives at Dodge but there not doing as bad as people think.

As far as GM I will never own there product. I have a friend that just bought 2008 silveraldo and has had TONS of problems and the truck has 1700kms. Its been in the shop for 20+days for parts. Never!! will i buy.

Xtrema
04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I was at Dodge today and man what a joke.

First off the guy sales guy was telling me this has been there best month. Looking out front there is alot of cars and trucks with sold signs. Everytime I saw something i liked sales guy said its sold.

There is incentives at Dodge but there not doing as bad as people think.

As far as GM I will never own there product. I have a friend that just bought 2008 silveraldo and has had TONS of problems and the truck has 1700kms. Its been in the shop for 20+days for parts. Never!! will i buy.

You won't get deal other than manufacturer's rebates on hot models like Challenger or Camaro and the like.

94SSEi
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I picked up a new 08 Astra with a $6,500 cash incentive. Paid just over $17000 out the door, and it's a hell of a lot more car than a Versa, Cobalt, G5, etc...

Sorath
04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
thats really a good deal. i really like the astras. too bad their going out of business :(

911fever
04-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
thats really a good deal. i really like the astras. too bad their going out of business :(

me too. They are actually really reliable too, and they look great!

94SSEi
04-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, mine is the XR 3-door in red w/ the 5 speed. I'm really happy with it. It has great looking stock 17s and the quality (esp in the interior) is fantastic, much better than domestic GM (they are rebadged Opels manufactured in Belgium).

Only sore point is that I just found out that the current discount locally is $7,250...so I could have afforded the 18 inch rims, haha. Oh well.

Dumbass17
04-12-2009, 01:44 PM
let me know if anyone finds a good deal for a truck
i'm looking for a 1998+ Gmc or dodge, extended cab 4x4 short box
and i won't spend over $7000

i might just wait to see if any "rig pig" trucks go up for sale soon ;)

911fever
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
let me know if anyone finds a good deal for a truck
i'm looking for a 1998+ Gmc or dodge, extended cab 4x4 short box
and i won't spend over $7000

i might just wait to see if any "rig pig" trucks go up for sale soon ;)

you can PM me, I'll try my best to get you one come this summer when truck prices drop.

stikkyp
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Actually truck prices are dropping like crazy.. It's been a while now since prices have been reduced.. You can get $8000 to $10,000 off Chevrolet Deisel trucks right now and almost the same off of Silverado 1500's (excluding the Colorado).. I know for a fact that a Aveo would not have a $5000 cash incentive on it and nor does paying cash get you a better deal right now.

Beyond what people think cash does jack crap for you in the dealership.. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU FINANCING.. So in turn.. when you finance they get a little chunk from the bank.. Not much.. But when your squeezing for dollars every little bit helps.. Oh and when your dealing with a sales guy... If you get a nice one... Be nice to them.. You have no idea how hard there jobs are.. And if your concearned about price... Maybe next time your buying those $249 sneakers or that $4 jug of milk.. think about wether or not you asked for a discount.. or haggled on price... ya didnt think so... Buy a vehicle that suits your needs.. get a ok discount.. and be happy with the service your salesman will give you in the future..

anschutz_92
04-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by stikkyp
Oh and when your dealing with a sales guy... If you get a nice one... Be nice to them.. You have no idea how hard there jobs are.. And if your concearned about price... Maybe next time your buying those $249 sneakers or that $4 jug of milk.. think about wether or not you asked for a discount.. or haggled on price... ya didnt think so... Buy a vehicle that suits your needs.. get a ok discount.. and be happy with the service your salesman will give you in the future..

I totally agree with being nice to your salesman, but treating him with respect doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get the best deal.
Haggling on the price is completely different then an uninterested loser going to test drive a sports car on a saturday afternoon because he has nothing better to do.
But ya, never be a prick in any business dealings because that can only hurt you in the future.

dino_martini
04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Havent seen a ton of deals. Though im sure if the economy continues to worsen, deals will get better.

Dumbass17
04-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Havent seen a ton of deals. Though im sure if the economy continues to worsen, deals will get better.
haha feels weird to say this, but lets hope so!

yeah dealers can be pricks, but they can also be nice.
i understand why they are 'mean' sometimes to me when they see a 24 year old who looks like he's 17 and driving a POS sunfire. they dont' even want to talk to me cuz i look homeless driving it haha

D. Dub
04-13-2009, 07:47 AM
The theory is that in this economic circumstance people are trying to spend less -- so in the used market this is holding prices steady -- harder to get a deal on used.

In the new market -- it all depends on the make, model and dealer.

prae
04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Agree with D. Dub, the used market is pretty hot right now when compared to new.

you&me
04-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Beyond what people think cash does jack crap for you in the dealership.. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU FINANCING.. So in turn.. when you finance they get a little chunk from the bank.. Not much.. But when your squeezing for dollars every little bit helps.. Oh and when your dealing with a sales guy... If you get a nice one... Be nice to them.. You have no idea how hard there jobs are.. And if your concearned about price... Maybe next time your buying those $249 sneakers or that $4 jug of milk.. think about wether or not you asked for a discount.. or haggled on price... ya didnt think so... Buy a vehicle that suits your needs.. get a ok discount.. and be happy with the service your salesman will give you in the future..

Depending on the rate, that can be completely UNTRUE!

When a finance company offers low-rate finance, they are actually subsidizing the rate, which is built into the price. You will be able to get a better "cash" price than taking the .9/1.9/2.9% financing... whether that makes sense to do depends on individual circumstance.

What is stranger is the constant Beyond Classified tactic of offering cash for the $20,000 used cars... that likely would be a bigger pain in the ass than incentive...

Moe Man
04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Everyone of you guys are in for a big ride, used cars are going to be more expencive than ever before in the up comming months, prices at the dealer auctions have increased by 2000-3000 G's on used cars. some dealerships are sending there old stock to auctions and getting sticker price for them! Its fucken nuts just wait a few more months and you will wish you purchased that truck or car that you have been looking at for 3 weeks.

googe
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

:werd: Very True! As a former Car Salesman myself I know this is true for a fact, the customers that get the absolute best deal on their cars are the ones you just want to punch in the face

:rofl:

benyl
04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
Everyone of you guys are in for a big ride, used cars are going to be more expencive than ever before in the up comming months, prices at the dealer auctions have increased by 2000-3000 G's on used cars. some dealerships are sending there old stock to auctions and getting sticker price for them! Its fucken nuts just wait a few more months and you will wish you purchased that truck or car that you have been looking at for 3 weeks.

Why is used demand so high? Are the new incentives just not good enough?

911fever
04-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Calgary is one of the only markets to have super high prices for used cars; here in TO all the cars are dirt cheap, and prices only keep dropping. There's a flood of cheap European luxury cars here too.

you&me
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Biggest reason is the exchange rate...

For the last few years, Canadian used car values were getting hammered by the mantra of "I can get it cheaper in the states". Canadian prices were forced to plunge in order to meet the landed cost of the equivalent US car; buyers would shop in the US and refuse to pay much of a premium for local cars or they would import one themselves. Dealers were importing 1000s of cars and would offer US-equivalent wholesale prices on their local trades... Too much (easy) supply to meet demand.

Now that the exchange rate has changed, cars are terribly UNDERVALUED in Canada. The argument that "I can get it cheaper in the US" has disappeared and so has the supply that a favorable exchange created. Canada is a market unto itself again and the Canadian supply isn't large enough for the current demand... with no alternative market to raise supply (the US), prices are on the rise.

Prices are actually cheap enough here that many US cars that were imported in the last few years are now being exported back to the States for a profit.

911Fever - I've talked to many people in TO that are doing just what MoeMan said... taking their old lot stock to the dealer auctions and getting at or near their retail asking prices... One dealer I know gave up on the auctions a few weeks ago and has been making better buys out of the Autotrader and local classifieds.

stikkyp
04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
New incentives at GM are extremly high.. For years 0% was hidden in the cost of the vehicle.. Now that money value gets transfered to the customer even if your paying cash of financing at the bank.. Money is cheap right now.. I know Dodge and GM have very good prices.. Ford.. well... nuff said... Import dealers will soon start to feel the crunch and realize that "no dicker sticker" phylosophy doesn't work in todays market.. My advice.. Try dealing out of town instead of calgary... I know where i work here in Medicine Hat we've been busy.. Lots of Calgary and out of town customers buying because it's hassle free and better service.. Then again thats comnig from the customer... Were just happy to sell cars.....

And btw.... Auction prices are stupid expensive.. wouldn't think they would be but they are.. and have been since late jan.. Our inventory on our lot used wise could sell at the auction for what we have it advertised at.. Unfortunatly you cant pay a salesman to stay or service to work on it when you do that.. Not to mention you cant report a wholsale deal as a retail to GM.. Otherwise dealers would be doing it all day long...

Moe Man
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Everyone is scared, oh no we are going to lose our job! so they buy a $5000 car.

they dont want to buy new because of several reasons....one they think the BIG THREE are going down, and second they think that they need to save alot of money because the world is going to end.

I try to sell warranty to people..."ahhh no i dont need it, the world is going to end next month"

its too funny! whatever i am selling like crazy!

BTW: bonnybrook autosales buys from private people, because auctions are too pricy. he just knocks on peoples doors with low ball offers and cash in his hand, seems too work good!

Xtrema
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Any way to save a few bucks.

I heard the CPO market in US is on-fire. Don't know about Canadian market.

No incentive on new cars can compare to 30-40% off when you buy 2-3 years old used ones which still have some warranty left.

jonnycat
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh and when your dealing with a sales guy... If you get a nice one... Be nice to them.. You have no idea how hard there jobs are.. And if your concearned about price... Maybe next time your buying those $249 sneakers or that $4 jug of milk.. think about wether or not you asked for a discount.. or haggled on price... ya didnt think so

I used to think the same way as you. Haggling over car prices was brought on by car dealers, not consumers.

While sales is tough with its ebbs and flows, it's gotta be one of the easiest jobs around. It doesn't take much to stand around drinking coffee waiting for an up, going for car rides in the back seat, pointing out features that almost all cars have, walking back and forth between the Sales Managers office for a lower price and remembering to mention a few products sold in the F&I office.

As for good deals, I got my Titan with a cash rebate $8000 and $3000 off sticker, dealer still made a healthy $1500-$2000 profit.

2BLUE
04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
WOW...That's a good chunk of money off msrp.

Dumbass17
04-13-2009, 05:37 PM
hmmmm
maybe i'll get some rollerblades for now

HiTempguy1
04-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
hmmmm
maybe i'll get some rollerblades for now

Considering my father would be hard pressed to sell his '04 quad cab 1/2 ton Z71 full load with leather for $12K, now is the time to buy a used truck. You could get a MINT 1998 GMC/Chev 1/2 ton extended cab Z71 fully loaded for $7k right now, and the 5.7L vortec in them is the bees knees ;)

Dumbass17
04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Considering my father would be hard pressed to sell his '04 quad cab 1/2 ton Z71 full load with leather for $12K, now is the time to buy a used truck. You could get a MINT 1998 GMC/Chev 1/2 ton extended cab Z71 fully loaded for $7k right now, and the 5.7L vortec in them is the bees knees ;) that's actually what i want! haha 98-01 seems to be in my price range
just sucks going from having a wickedass 2007 Sierra with leather to something with so many less features
/cry baby