PDA

View Full Version : Network Issue

Hakkola
04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
My sister can't connect to the wireless network with her laptop anymore, might be because I switched the ports the ethernet cables are connected to. Network magic then said that I was no longer connected to the primary network (on my P.C) and my sister could connect to the network, but could not access the internet. So I forced NM to do a first run, and now it doesn't recognize that my computer is connected to a router. NM says I'm connected but now there is no primary network.

So I tried to reinstall the router and it says Error313 : Multiple wired adapters detected. Router setup requires that one wired adapter be enabled. How do I fix this problem? It says I can disable the other adapters...

Router is a D-Link DIR-615.

R154
04-10-2009, 07:35 PM
first go to 192.168.0.1 and check the status, see if the router has 2 wired conections, or two unique assigned IP's. NW is a horrible program, but first check to see if you are (hardware side) able to connect to the network.

Report back matt.

Hakkola
04-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by R154
first go to 192.168.0.1 and check the status, see if the router has 2 wired conections, or two unique assigned IP's. NW is a horrible program, but first check to see if you are (hardware side) able to connect to the network.

Report back matt.

Well, seems the IP address for the router has changed, I can't access that page, and I can't find the current address. Tried running ipconfig /all but ipconfig is not a recognized command.

Edit - does work, but I don't know which number is the router ip, none of them look similar to what you posted at all.

sabad66
04-10-2009, 07:55 PM
default gateway will be the router's ip address.

R154
04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
reset the router. unplug it for 30 seconds, plug it back in, so it defaults back to stock form. Then try again (192.168.0.1) - point is to access the routers admin settings. ASlong as there is 2 ip's in status you can rule out hardware failure, and it will be software.

Hakkola
04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by R154
reset the router. unplug it for 30 seconds, plug it back in, so it defaults back to stock form.

I still can't access that address.

Bumjubeo
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Okay, lets summarize here.

Your IP Address is in the 192.168.0.x range correct?

What is your default gateway, as listed when you type "ipconfig"?

Also, how did you change the wiring of the router?

Your modem still connects to the port labeled "internet" or "WAN"?

Do you have any other networking equipment such as a switch on your network?

Hakkola
04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Bumjubeo
Okay, lets summarize here.

Your IP Address is in the 192.168.0.x range correct?

What is your default gateway, as listed when you type "ipconfig"?

Also, how did you change the wiring of the router?

Your modem still connects to the port labeled "internet" or "WAN"?

Do you have any other networking equipment such as a switch on your network?

IP addy is in 68.145.174.x range.

Default gateway = 68.145.172.1

Just changed the Lan ports that the ethernet cables were connect to. I don't think the modem was ever connected to the internet port, but I could be wrong.

No other networking equipment.

Modem was connected to lan port 1 and router lan port 4 went to my pc.

Grogador
04-11-2009, 11:21 AM
you're getting a public IP straight from Shaw's cablemodem. your router isn't routing. that's what happens when you plug a PC directly to the modem (pretty much, through the switch)

Originally posted by Hakkola
might be because I switched the ports the ethernet cables are connected to

^ why?

what's network magic?

how old is your sister?

torob
04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Your setup should be,

Modem (Shaw/telus or whatever) is connected to your router from back of modem to the router port that says "WAN" or "INTERNET" or something like that..

then any other computer that you want connected goes to the 1,2,3,4 ports... and wireless connects wireless

Then click the reset button on router (mostly not a button but a hole, you have to stick a needle or something in there and it'll feel like button is being pressed) give 10-20 seconds to connect to each other and figure computers out..

then go on computer, to do ipconfig
it should give you
ip address
and more important gateway address...
whatever is in that gateway address
put it in your internet browser so you can access the setup pages..

local addresses will start with 192.168.X.X
so your default router should be something along lines of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, depends

if you get that far let beyond know

Hakkola
04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by torob
Your setup should be,

Modem (Shaw/telus or whatever) is connected to your router from back of modem to the router port that says internet...

That was the problem. :facepalm: I'm almost positive it was never connected to that port before though.

Hakkola
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
So now how do I set a password for wireless access?

I'm able to set admin passwords for the router, and was playing around with some other options that allowed me to name the network and set passwords (WEP). After inputting the wep password on my sisters comp it was still impossible to access the internet. So now I've gotten rid of the network name and apparently the passwords as well, as I tried accessing the wireless network with my sister's laptop, it worked, but now it doesn't ask for a password...

LOL. At least it works now though. Thanks for the help so far. :)

Grogador
04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
You really should http://www.serverpit.com/pics/avatars/rtfm.gif (http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp?productid=DIR-615)

Select your revision (A, B or C) then go under "Product Manual" on the left... also check out the FAQ's...

Hakkola
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
You really should http://www.serverpit.com/pics/avatars/rtfm.gif (http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp?productid=DIR-615)

Select your revision (A, B or C) then go under "Product Manual" on the left... also check out the FAQ's...

I googled every question before I asked and checked the support options on the router page, thanks though.

SpireTECH
04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I googled every question before I asked and checked the support options on the router page, thanks though.

Every wireless router comes with a quickstart guide, and a users manual. It's also available online. Here is the manual for your router: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir615/Manual/dir615_manual_100.zip

It details how to configure your router and how to setup wireless encryption (Page 48).