PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Urethane VS Eurethane BC/CC

EuroB
04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I tried a search but I'm on my iPhone and I didn't find exactly what I needed.

I am just comparing two paints, and I would like a real opinion on what the difference is.
1. URETHANE BASECOAT
2. ACRYLIC URETHANE KIT

This is the Kit for the Urethane BaseCoat
Gallon of Urethane Basecoat
Gallon of Urethane Reducer
Gallon of Urethane Speed Clear
Quart of Clear Coat Hardener

from what I understand is that the Urethane Base Coat is a 2 step paint that needs first the base coat then a clear coat over top, ,do you spray the clear coat and the base coat together at the same time or will I need to spray them on one by one?

Kit for Acrylic Urethane
Gallon of Acrylic Urethane Paint
Quart of Urethane Reducer
Quart of Wet Look Polyurethane Hardener

and from what I feel is right about acrylic urethane is its a single stage paint that will work just like a base coat and clear coat finish, and if that is the case, will this be all I would need to paint my car and still have a clean glossy look in the end, or do I have to still need to purchase a clear coat and place it over top?

I'm gonna be painting my own car within the next month with the help of someone who has done it a couple times before but I wanna get some opinions before I order the paint, so the more the better
PS - The Acrylic Urethane is almost half the price and thats what im leaning more towards if my understanding is correct.

Sorry in advance for any spelling errors but its midnight and im typing from my phone.

TDFTW
04-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Acrylic Urethane. Single Stage paint.

It's got clearcoat in it already, however when you spray it will lose it's shine within 3 months. Unless properly polished and buffed almost weekly its shine will keep fading away. They use that shit on taxis. Plus the new stuff is waterbased so safe for environment and no harmful fumes.

Personally i will never use single stage just because of it's durability and shine. I always go with a urethane two stage paint.

The difference is that your paint is sprayed seperately from your clearcoat, so you can lather your clearcoat over top the paint to form true protection of the paint. you can wetsand and buff it all you like without worrying about the paint rubbing away.

i really suck at explaining this over pc here, but i've been doing bumpers/bodykits and misc parts and painting in my garage for a few years now, if you ever want to meet up in person let me know and i can have a coffee with you and explain how to paint your car right the first time in detail.

EuroB
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you, any more opinions?

EuroB
04-13-2009, 11:35 PM
alright well it doesnt madder what anyone says cause its to late I just went to a local paint shop in calgary and got urethane base coat and clear coat
so 2 stage it is