PDA

View Full Version : Best VW Dealership in Town

max_boost
10-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Well which one is it? I'm going to pick up a new Golf very soon and want to know.

What is the mileage like on the regular 2.0 liter? Compared to the 1.9L Turbo Diesel? What is ESP? Is that the equivalent of Traction Control? Forgive me but are Golf's FWD?

Do golf's only come in 4 doors and GTI/VR6 in 2 doors?

After going through so many cars the last few years, I think my joy for it has died down quite a bit. The Golf seems like the perfect fit for both my current and short term needs. I just want to concentrate on my house first, and if things go well, you know I'll put something exotic on the driveway later.:bigpimp: :rofl:

jdmakkord
10-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Talk to Ben, he'll be able to answer all of your questions. Not to mention set you up with a good sales person to take care of you too.

VWhooligan
10-20-2003, 01:12 PM
I'll help you out here.

Fuel Mileage: The 2.0 is just like any other economical car. ~30 mpg high, I think around 20 city? I didnt look it up. However, if you're looking for fuel economy, the 1.9l TDI is the only way to go. They get 50mpg.

Doors: Golf's only come in 4 doors now as of 2003. So if you want a 2-door you'll have to go with a GTI (either 1.8t or VR6). But if you want a 2.0 or 1.9TDI you'll have to get the 4door.

Yes they are FWD.

ESP is traction control.

Ben
10-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well which one is it? I'm going to pick up a new Golf very soon and want to know.

Congrats.

What is the mileage like on the regular 2.0 liter? Compared to the 1.9L Turbo Diesel?

The 2.0L gets 9.7l/100km in the city, and 6.8l/100km on the highway, this compared to an astounding 5.6l/100km and 4.4l/100km respectivly in the TDI.
Basically, you can drive from Calgary to Mission on a tank of fuel. My mom regularly gets 900+ km on a tank in the city (she works at the Rockyview Hospital and we live in McKenzie Lake) in her GLS TDI.

The TDI also has a huge amount of torque, making for extrelemy practical and comfortable city driving.

What is ESP? Is that the equivalent of Traction Control? Forgive me but are Golf's FWD?

ESP is the electronic Stability Program, and it rules. During slippery conditions, it applys the brakes to keep the car going in a straight line. You can floor it on ice and slush and it eliminates a large portion of torque steer and basically steers its self, its amazing. Yes they are FWD.

Do golf's only come in 4 doors and GTI/VR6 in 2 doors?

Unfortunatly this is so. they did make a limited amount of 2dr golfs but not lately.

After going through so many cars the last few years, I think my joy for it has died down quite a bit. The Golf seems like the perfect fit for both my current and short term needs. I just want to concentrate on my house first, and if things go well, you know I'll put something exotic on the driveway later.:bigpimp: :rofl:

Go talk to my Dad at Fifth Avenue Auto Haus, hes the resident VW expert, and will be sure to take extremely good care of you. He'll also give you a fair price. :) Hes away this week taking part in the new Phaeton Launch in San Diego, but I'll take the liberty of setting up an appointment with him for you when he returns

Cheers

max_boost
10-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the help :)

Does anyone know the lease interest rates on the Golf?

Ben
10-20-2003, 01:32 PM
I think its a sale right now at 2.9% for Financing...

Moe Man
10-20-2003, 02:04 PM
try the new one beside the jag dealers 5th ave or 15 ave not sure

Ben
10-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
try the new one beside the jag dealers 5th ave or 15 ave not sure

Thats the new Fifth Ave Auto Haus store. :) They moved last week.

prosh
10-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Ya, 5 Ave Auto Haus moved to a new building just off Barlow N. Hey Ben, who's ur dad? We bought our VW there and got it from Nick.

I'll have to say, the service dept there is one of the best. GL with a golf Sam. Go with TDi, for practical reasons, its the best thing for ur buck.

max_boost
10-20-2003, 02:33 PM
5th Ave Auto Haus moved to Barlow beside Charles English Jag/Subaru of Calgary?

And prosh, I echo those sentiments. I'll have to see what happens with the RSX/S2K first :)

Ben
10-20-2003, 03:31 PM
My dad is Mike.

92 Teg-B18A
10-20-2003, 03:55 PM
What's goin' on MB? Defecting to VW are ya? (just jokes guys:D)
Did you ditch the RSX-S or somethin'?

max_boost
10-20-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm selling the S to free up some cash for the new crib :D
Not sure what the plan is for the RSX, I'll see:)

nismodrifter
10-20-2003, 04:32 PM
diesel ownz joo

parents took the jetta from here to vancouver last week.....made it there with fuel still left in the tank (average speed was around 120kmh...)

if you're lookin for a fuel efficient car....then tdi is the way to go

hjr
10-20-2003, 04:44 PM
yayyy TDi. My parents are getting one of the first PD-TDi Jetta wagons in edmonton. Its gonna be great. We are thinking upsolute as well. 130 hp, 220ft/lbs 50mpg. Can you loose? No, no you cant.

hjr
10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
133hp, 221ft/lbs, and possible a little underrated.

max_boost
10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
What about the Honda Insight?

Ben
10-20-2003, 04:51 PM
What about the Honda Insight?

Dont even bother.

max_boost
10-20-2003, 04:58 PM
Why is that? It's worth considering I think.......

Weapon_R
10-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Your going from an S2000 to a Golf?

Damn.

CRXguy
10-20-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm selling the S to free up some cash for the new crib :D
Not sure what the plan is for the RSX, I'll see:)

You are no longer my friend. No poker for you!!!! :rofl:

szw
10-20-2003, 05:50 PM
How about the toyota gas/electric hybrid?

max_boost
10-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Your going from an S2000 to a Golf?

Damn.

The house is worth it

Originally posted by CRXguy

You are no longer my friend. No poker for you!!!! :rofl:

I just hope we don't play at the new crib or else no poker for you :rofl:

Originally posted by szw
How about the toyota gas/electric hybrid?

I think I'll pass on that

szw
10-20-2003, 06:20 PM
want to buy my sentra? haha

Khyron
10-20-2003, 09:24 PM
The new Civic Hybrid is a bit better MPG than the TDI (I think 57ish compared to 50). And it's got quite a punch as well. Plus you get Honda reliability. Insights are not worth it at all.

Toyota Prius is also a good option, however it's too new - the cars are demanding MSRP + dealer addon. If you can wait 6 months and don't mind paying sticker... (which will run you around 32K). And I think it's an ugly mofo.

Your only issue with VW will probably be minor things like glovebox hinges, windows falling in the door (should be fixed on new models), sensors and rattles. The rest of the car is rock solid for the most part.

Canada has excellent sources of diesel. The States have odd small towns and such that don't have diesel. Hybrids are fine while you have warranty - but if you are planning on keeping it, who's going to fix it after warranty? You? Joe at Midas? I think not.

But if the whole point is to save money, then you should get a Hyundai Accent for 10K and put the rest towards the house - and enjoy the 10 year warranty. And if anyone wants to start Hyundai bashing, I've got plenty of counter ammo waiting for you.

Khyron

max_boost
10-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice Khryon

REason why I am considering an Insight is that I found a used one for $17K with only 20,000kms and lots of warranty left. Hopefully everything will be sorted out in the upcoming week.

Khyron
10-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Insight is a 60HP 2 seater with like a 400 pound load capacity - not exactly a practical car for a single car household. It seriously is soley a commuter appliance. Consumer reports didn't like it either (you're better off with an Echo).

And it is also very ugly. :D But it has a neat digital dash. :thumbsup:

Khyron

Akagi Redsuns
10-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
snip.....
But if the whole point is to save money, then you should get a Hyundai Accent for 10K and put the rest towards the house - and enjoy the 10 year warranty. And if anyone wants to start Hyundai bashing, I've got plenty of counter ammo waiting for you.

Khyron

10 year warranty? Really? I don't think so buddy, unless you live in the States, and MaxBoost and even you are in Calgary.

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/eng/information/in_warranty_main.html

The warranty is the same as everyone else, the standard 3year/60K bumper to bumper and 5year/100K powertrain that everyone else offers. Where is the 10 year warranty you are touting?

Hyundai has come a long way and when I was car shopping for a commuter/family car I test drove a few. For the money, it didn't seem like a good value, but that was me. I am sure they are more reliable then they were before, but when driving, it just felt...I dunno, cheap. Ah well.

I vote for the TDi.....you definately don't want the 2.slow :)

max_boost
10-21-2003, 12:39 AM
After doing even more research, you guys are definitely right. The TDI is a much better deal.

50mpg
Loads of torque for daily driving
Seating for 5
Everything for around $22-23K

Now I am beginning to understand why the Turbo Diesel is so sought after :D

VWhooligan
10-21-2003, 12:50 AM
way to go, you're making the best decision. chip it and it wont be that slow either (ok it'll be slow, but not *that* slow)

max_boost
10-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Well VWhooligan, I think I'm picking up a Silver four door. Not to imitate you but rather for easy maintenance. It's been a nightmare with the black s2k cause I'm so lazy.

I'm wondering if the price difference of $2430 is worth it for the GLS?

You get cruise control, powered windows, front armrest, heated seats, premium cloth upholstery and CD.

hmmm......

itsnotaDUB
10-21-2003, 03:23 AM
a friend on this forum's brother is selling a silver golf 2 door with coils, and 18's, the car is smokin. mint i tell yah mint..... i think he wants 17,000 or so awesome deal

4wheeldrift
10-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Well VWhooligan, I think I'm picking up a Silver four door. Not to imitate you but rather for easy maintenance. It's been a nightmare with the black s2k cause I'm so lazy.

You get cruise control, powered windows, front armrest, heated seats, premium cloth upholstery and CD.

hmmm...... If you're going to be doing lots of highway driving, its worth it for cruise control alone.

Khyron
10-21-2003, 09:43 AM
The single cd player is nice but I wouldn't get the 6 changer in the back. Heated seats and cruise are nice, but again - if the goal is to save money.....

You should be able to get 1000 to 1500 off sticker at the minimum, probably not much more unless you are lucky. Hear that Abom? 1000-1500. :poosie:

Khyron

max_boost
10-21-2003, 09:57 AM
I think I've got my game plan since its worked for two of the last three cars. NO GST!!! haha

max_boost
10-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Talk about shitty service from 5th Ave Autohaus

The lady showed absolutely no interest in making a sale, gave me half ass responses, doesn't even know their current finance terms, made it sound like I didn't know anything, she just lost herself a sale.

max_boost
10-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Now must give props to Shawn Miller at NW Volkswagen. Answered all my questions fully and was extremely helpful.

/////AMG
10-21-2003, 08:38 PM
:eek: NO C32? :thumbsdow
Congrats on the new VW, and the house. If your building the house brand new…BEWARE...make sure you check on the site frequently and make sure everything is ok man. Things can go wrong, so if you think something doesn't look like make sure you let the builders know.

Kor
10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Get a TDI.

Khyron
10-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Yah I ended up buying at Northland too. 5Ave is really hit/miss.

Tho you HAVE to go back to the dealership and show her your new car.

Khyron

Ben
10-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Talk about shitty service from 5th Ave Autohaus

The lady showed absolutely no interest in making a sale, gave me half ass responses, doesn't even know their current finance terms, made it sound like I didn't know anything, she just lost herself a sale.

Name Please.

max_boost
10-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Can't remember.....just some lady

I had asked if she had any cars on the lot, she said she didn't know :rofl: Oh shiet, how are you going to sell it?

What is your interest rate? I'm asking for the rate, not payments. She didn't even know the interest rate and kept on saying, "it depends" well no shit! :rofl:

I just got fed up, and said that's fine. She never proceed to say anything along the lines of "is there anything else I can help you with?" Just half ass responses.

Khyron
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Sooo did you get the cruise/pwer locks etc? Did they give you a nice deal? Like the dash? Ready to get a boost gauge? W8 Mod?

Khyron

max_boost
10-21-2003, 11:20 PM
I didn't make the purchase yet because I haven't sold the S. But I've had a couple enquiries so I hope it won't be too much longer. To be honest, I can't wait, 50mpg :D

Davetronz
10-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Ben
My dad is Mike.
Really?
My dad is Rico!

Oh and to answer the question 5th Ave is the way to go!

VWhooligan
10-22-2003, 02:29 AM

hmmm......

I'd say its worth it for the cruise and power windows alone. You can pick up the front armrests used for $100 easy, and the "premium cloth" is just velour, i have it in my golf and I don't much like it. It attracts lint very easily. I'd prefer the golf sport cloth honestly... although the velour is much softer.... and the CD player. Not worth it, and don't get the one in the trunk, they'll charge you $500 for the 6cd changer in the trunk, when you know you can get something way better in the dash for that price.

And I agree that silver is the best colour to go, I'm as lazy as they come, yet my car is always clean! Throw on some tint and rims, and you have yourself a decent looking car.

VWhooligan
10-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Really?
My dad is Rico!

My dad is Simon

Khyron
10-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by VWhooligan

My dad is Simon

My dad can kick your dad's ass.

Khyron

Toms-Celica
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Much respect for you Max_boost. Takes a real man to know whats more important then a car.

In the lines of 'toys' for the car a chip should be a must.

W3$t $!d3
10-23-2003, 11:03 AM

Khyron

hahahhahahaahah LMMFAO!!:rofl: :rofl:

Davetronz
10-23-2003, 06:29 PM

Khyron
My dad makes more money than YOUR dad!

Khyron
10-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

My dad makes more money than YOUR dad!

I AM your dad.

Khyron

kevie88
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM

Khyron

I dunno man, He doesn't look like he'd be the champ, but looks can be decieving!! :rofl:

James
10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by VWhooligan

I'd say its worth it for the cruise and power windows alone. You can pick up the front armrests used for $100 easy, and the "premium cloth" is just velour, i have it in my golf and I don't much like it. It attracts lint very easily. I'd prefer the golf sport cloth honestly... although the velour is much softer.... and the CD player. Not worth it, and don't get the one in the trunk, they'll charge you $500 for the 6cd changer in the trunk, when you know you can get something way better in the dash for that price.

And I agree that silver is the best colour to go, I'm as lazy as they come, yet my car is always clean! Throw on some tint and rims, and you have yourself a decent looking car.

:werd:....the "premium cloth" isnt that great and it does attract lint etc.. like a motherfucker!! not worth it! ( i hated cleaning that interior when i worked as a detailer).....and the disc changer is a complete rip-off, just buy an aftermarket deck.....was the salespersons name at 5th ave Dawn?....only woman that i know of that works sales :dunno:....

VWhooligan
10-24-2003, 01:41 AM
yah I was suckered in to getting the 6disk changer when I bought my first mk4 Golf 3 years ago, told me that no other cd players work with the VW system. boy was I a sucker. $450 later..

With my other golf 4 i didnt make the same mistake.

/////AMG
10-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey guys since there is a lot of you who know a ton about VW, I though I could ask you some questions.

Which VW is the best for petrol wise?
How many L/100KM?
Which VW's come in diesel? All?
Lets say I wanted a diesel VW, 4 door, really good on petrol, and it should be either a 2001 or 2002, which would you recommend?
Something around or preferably under $20,000.

Thanks a lot.

BTW, What about this, deal or not?
2001 VW Golf TDI, 2dr, 1 owner, $12,900

Thanks once again.

nismodrifter
10-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
Hey guys since there is a lot of you who know a ton about VW, I though I could ask you some questions.

How many L/100KM?
Lets say I wanted a diesel VW, 4 door, really good on petrol, and it should be either a 2001 or 2002, which would you recommend?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks once again.

that golf Tdi was in the bargainfinder right??? that thing is probably long gone

mind you....my dad paid a LITTLE bit over that price for our loaded Jetta GLS Tdi (leather and pretty much all options except for monsoon audio) but that was kind of a one time thing since it was from the auction

if you want 4 door and diesel you could either get a golf or a jetta. I think the only difference between the two is obviously the shape and that in a jetta you have the option of getting a leather interior

from what I know, the only models that come in diesel are the Jetta, Golf 2dr and Golf 4dr

I'll let the vee dub experts give you more specific info but I hope what I posted will help you out.

also...visit www.tdiclub.ca for all the info you could ever want about diesel veedubs (read their FAQ...it answers EVERYTHING)

VWhooligan
10-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944

How many L/100KM?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks once again.

Best VW fuel economy is TDI.
TDI's get 38 city, 46 highway mpg.
TDI's come in Jetta's, Golf's, and Beetles starting in 99.5+
And yes you can get one under $20,000 easily.

And yes, that is an insanely good deal (if its still available)

sml
10-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Found this puppy in the bargin finder:
2001 VW Golf TDi, diesel, 64mpg, 5 spd, 2dr, cruise, alarm, good cond, 1 owner, 137,000 mostly hwy kms, $12,900, Canmore Tel: 403-678-9551