PDA

View Full Version : Solo2

rage2
05-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Who's going tonight? I got the camcorder and monopod ready for install this afternoon for some in car pics. Hope it's dry...

CRXguy
05-15-2002, 09:45 AM
I'm still going!

RiceCake
05-15-2002, 09:57 AM
:banghead: hope it dies up later... damn i work til 8:00 but i do wanna come down a catch the show! :)

CRXguy
05-15-2002, 10:24 AM
Dude, just come down. Last time I was there till almost 9, and they were still running the course.

RiceCake
05-15-2002, 10:56 AM
sweet.. prolly see you boys down at the track tonite!:thumbsup:

kenny
05-15-2002, 11:30 AM
I'll probably show up to watch, and take some pictures

rage2
05-15-2002, 11:31 AM
Since you're still home, can you bring a blank DV tape? I knew I forgot something this morning... Should be a blank unopened one beside my computer somewhere.

Fluidic
05-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Hey dudes, me and the Jet will be there bright and early to catch the tire spinning action!!! Will also be bringing the ole` DV video cam... Rage if you need a spare tape for any reason what so ever... I can hook you up!

Peace

rage2
05-15-2002, 11:37 AM
Thanks dude. I'll take you up on the offer if Kenny forgets. I got like 20 tapes at home.

spyguy
05-15-2002, 12:28 PM
I'm going...but I'm not running.... :(

rage2
05-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by spyguy
I'm going...but I'm not running.... :(

Why not?

spyguy
05-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Why not?

no money for tires...

rage2
05-15-2002, 01:43 PM
I'm running on bald Toyo T1-S's hehe. New set's here on Friday, let's see how many sets I can go through this year.

spyguy
05-15-2002, 03:19 PM
I'm running on bald Toyo T1-S's hehe. New set's here on Friday, let's see how many sets I can go through this year.

Must be nice to be rich...I can't even afford one set of tires...let alone "many sets" :P

rage2
05-15-2002, 03:24 PM
haha dude, you're the one with *3* sets of wheels at WoW!

spyguy
05-15-2002, 03:29 PM
haha dude, you're the one with *3* sets of wheels at WoW!

Well those superleggeras I sold already...which are replaced by the dpowers now...and the other set of course was for winter :p

kenny
05-15-2002, 04:08 PM
I have the same set of wheels for winter and summer.... can't afford wheels :(

gpomp
05-15-2002, 04:25 PM
I'll come if someone wants to pick me up.

redec
05-15-2002, 04:30 PM
what a coincidence....I say the same thing to passing cars every friday night http://www.virgeweb.com/bj.gif

kenny
05-15-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by redec
what a coincidence....I say the same thing to passing cars every friday night http://www.virgeweb.com/bj.gif

:rofl:

kenny
05-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Who else is going down to Race City? I wanna grab some food before hand :) pho pho pho

CRXguy
05-15-2002, 05:41 PM
I had pho earlier for lunch.:thumbsup:

Fluidic
05-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Well that was fun!!! I enjoyed out little highspeed run at the end of it all: very rewarding to see the VR6 keep up if not out run ( ;) ) all you "turbo" and "supercharged" folks! LOL

I will post the pictures I took in a few... so stick around for some nice eye-sex!! LOL

Peter

spyguy
05-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Well that was fun!!! I enjoyed out little highspeed run at the end of it all: very rewarding to see the VR6 keep up if not out run ( ;) ) all you "turbo" and "supercharged" folks! LOL

I will post the pictures I took in a few... so stick around for some nice eye-sex!! LOL

Peter

out run??...haha!:nut:

Fluidic
05-15-2002, 10:03 PM
I can dream!! LOL

Peter

Soren
05-15-2002, 10:08 PM
good turn out! only stayed for a lil bit to check out who was there and snap a few pics

saw a few runs, what happened kenny? i dont think shelton will every let u forget this day lol

rage2
05-15-2002, 10:08 PM
hehe In car videos coming right up. Peter, I want the source DV tape from you for my exterior shots! =)

RiceCake
05-15-2002, 10:29 PM
damn for your first time on the track damn your times were good and consistant kenny! :thumbsup: good driving skillz!

hmm... few more runs and you'll be putting rage 2 to shame! :D

rage2
05-15-2002, 10:33 PM
he learned from the best. haha

RiceCake
05-15-2002, 10:46 PM
damn rage... gotta sit in with you next solo event or auto-X :thumbsup:

damn... your times were still nice... damn can't wait to see what u can pull off in your 32 when it arrives! :love:

rage2
05-15-2002, 11:04 PM
I wish I drove the 32 tonight. My car coming out of the corners was severly underpowered. Plus the 32 had much gripper tires than me (my car oversteered madly on pretty much every corner).

I might've been able to give that Boxter a good run!

kenny
05-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Soren
good turn out! only stayed for a lil bit to check out who was there and snap a few pics

saw a few runs, what happened kenny? i dont think shelton will every let u forget this day lol

I drove at about 7/10ths... being the first time out there I wasn't confident with my driving skill so I took it easy. On my 2nd run I took the completely wrong line heh... damn inexperience. Hopefully I'll get a bit better after a few events. :thumbsup:

rage2
05-15-2002, 11:25 PM
I drove around 9/10ths on my last 2 runs. My car was oversteering madly due to the tires. If I turned off ESP it would've been spin city on turn 2 (roadcourse turn 2). I had to take a different line there to stablize the car enough to brake in a straight line. ESP was pretty good, as long as you're not an idiot coming out of corners, it doesn't even trigger... on my underpowered beast anyways. Dunno if tire pressures would've made any difference... I haven't even *checked* the pressures since last winter.

The left hander into the access road was really nice with the bald rears though, runs 2 and 3, no understeer, very neutral. Just the faster corners/braking were a bit hairy (thank you ESP for saving my ass).

Soren
05-16-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by kenny

I drove at about 7/10ths... being the first time out there I wasn't confident with my driving skill so I took it easy. On my 2nd run I took the completely wrong line heh... damn inexperience. Hopefully I'll get a bit better after a few events. :thumbsup:

ah im just buggin ya lol :nut:

u should see me out there, im such a wuss :rolleyes: so i shouldnt talk lol

RiceCake
05-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Benny

I want to sit in with someone on the next one, see what its all about. Anyone wanna lend a seat?

warren was pretty cule about letting me sit in on a run.. man i really wanna try it out.. it so fun, and i was only the passenger! :thumbsup:

conedodger
05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
The key to getting a ride-along is just to ask. Pretty much all of us CSCC members will let you sit in. Just a few notes - don't bother asking for a ride if it the third or final run - there is a championship at stake and your ass will slow down the car. And when in the car, if the driver is sitting with their eyes closed studying the course, don't talk too much ;)

rage2
05-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Was there enough time for fun runs last night? I left early, was very hungry!

conedodger
05-16-2002, 03:03 PM
nope - you didn't miss a thing.

Next event, I'll spot you MB drivers a few seconds, just to keep it competitive ;)

rage2
05-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Are there rules with Kenny and I trading cars? Or is that reserved for the fun runs at the end?

I'm curious how much better I'd do in the more powerful, better handling SLK 32 =).

When is the next event by the way? And where? I read something about registering early for the Red Deer event?

conedodger
05-16-2002, 03:33 PM
1) If both of you are running in the same class, then there is no problem. Providing you make all your runs in the same car. This is simply because there is already too much confusion regarding car / driver and having to enter it into the computer.

2) Next events are: May 21 - Pro solo in the Race City Oval and June 5 on the roadcourse south end

conedodger
05-16-2002, 03:36 PM
If you register early (before June 1) for the CNAC event in RedDeer, it is cheaper. That will be a two day event at the Westerner Exhibition grounds (huge lot) and it is always fun.

kenny
05-16-2002, 05:47 PM
I'm curious how much better I'd do in the more powerful, better handling SLK 32 =).

Its all about driver, nothing to do with the car! :rofl:

rage2
05-16-2002, 05:47 PM
I think they labeled Kenny's car wrong. He was put into the SS class, the rulebook says all SLK's are in the AS class.

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Well, if you want to be REALLY specific he should be in A Super Stock, because of the springs.

rage2
05-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Does factory sports kit count as a mod? If so I might've been classed wrong in my SLK 320. My car is stock with the sports option from MB.

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Is that something the dealer installed? Or did you order it like that and it was built by MB with that option?

kenny
05-16-2002, 06:08 PM
My H&R Springs were ordered from Tunerworks, then delivered to Lonestar (dealer) to be installed. If that makes any difference.

rage2
05-16-2002, 06:20 PM
It was dealer installed I think.

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 06:21 PM
No, its still considered aftermarket springs. But if the sports package is a mercedes factory offered setup then that is still eligible for stock. Its kind of a gray area. For instance, all the extra bits you could buy through the dealership for a WRX (different struts and springs, short throw shifters) are not stock legal because they are dealer or port installed, not installed at the factory. However, a 1LE camaro comes with factory installed shocks, springs and a stiffer sway bar. That is stock legal because its a factory option. See some of the problems with this?

rage2
05-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Yea, my situation is a bit strange. There's a sports kit for $8000 that includes body, suspension, wheels. Since I wanted a 2nd set of wheels, and the body pieces doesn't look THAT much different, I got the suspension and wheels for $5000, and still have a set of 16's for winter. But I think the dealer installed those, where as the sports kits are installed at the factory.

Not a big deal, I'm out to have fun, not going for the championship =). Just nice to compare with other ppl in the same class to see how good my skills are.

Fluidic
05-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Back in Sept. when I purchased my Jetta, I ordered (for some reason) the sport suspension package; which included stiffer/lower stance springs along with thicker front and rear sway bars. This extra cost, I so indubitably paid for, was installed at the dealer... not the factory... automatically kicking me out of the stock class rating!! :(

Oh well... I'm low now... all thanks to Eibach! :clap: :clap:

Peter

speedracer
05-16-2002, 07:02 PM
THe classification can be seen more clearly in www.scca.org.

I sure the AMG SLK falls under Super Sport as 4wheeldrift said.

Class
SS Mercedes SLK32 AMG ('02+)

The Springs move you somewhere - Dunno I have to read the rules again one day.

Factory is just that - Factory Part number and installed from the factory - Not dealer.

Examples:
Neon ACR
Viper ACR
Miata B Spec
Integra Type R
BMW M3

kenny
05-16-2002, 07:05 PM
I should put the factory AMG/Eibach springs back on for solo2 events as they probably handle better than the H&R lowering springs (which make the car look much better) :) Then again, I'm participating in solo2 because its fun, not to win anything.

Winning something would be a bonus though! :) :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Fun? FUN?!? Vat eez thees fun you speak of? Screw fun, I wanna win dammit!! :nut:

kenny
05-16-2002, 07:14 PM
I'm just saying that so if I do poorly, I can say I was just out there having fun and wasn't trying! :rofl: :rofl:

rage2
05-16-2002, 07:17 PM
hehe looks like I'll have to get someone to change my class next week.

When do we get the full results?? Wanna compare times! =)

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 07:18 PM
Personally, my out is tire pressures ;) Yeah, I was driving like shit, but my pressures were all screwed up eh? :D

rage2
05-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Tire pressures? I haven't checked since last year before winter! Just drove onto the track and ran with bald tires =).

spyguy
05-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Personally, my out is tire pressures ;) Yeah, I was driving like shit, but my pressures were all screwed up eh? :D

what tire pressure were you running again? what were you suppose to be running? and whens the next event hopefully I can afford tires by them :clap:

redline
05-16-2002, 11:09 PM
i ran about 40psi/38psi in the GSR for autox

4wheeldrift
05-16-2002, 11:09 PM
I didn't actually check, but my pressures should have been in the neighbourhood of 42 psi (this is where they were set for the Solo 1 school and I didn't change them). I have been running 44 in my kumhos and not noticing excessive sidewall roll-over or loss of grip so far.

rage2
05-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Just checked my tire pressures. 30 all around, except for passenger side front, 28psi.

speedracer
05-16-2002, 11:24 PM
712:
40 frt/ 36 rear

A032R
Depends but nothing higher than 36 on the frt and 34 rear

spyguy
05-16-2002, 11:25 PM
Just checked my tire pressures. 30 all around, except for passenger side front, 28psi.

if you had your pressures ALOT higher im pretty sure you could of matched that porsche :thumbsup:

kenny
05-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Mine were set to 40 all around, but alas, lack of driver skill put my time 0.3s behind rage2... :banghead:

kenny
05-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Next time I'm gonna have to find someone to teach me that chalking the sidewall thing... 4wheeldrift? or conedodger? :clap:

rage2
05-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by conedodger
2) Next events are: May 21 - Pro solo in the Race City Oval and June 5 on the roadcourse south end

What's the Pro Solo?

rage2
05-16-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by spyguy
if you had your pressures ALOT higher im pretty sure you could of matched that porsche :thumbsup:

I doubt it. My tires were really really bald hehe. I had to take it easy onto road course turn #2, if u watched my video, you would see me get WAY out of shape there on my first run.

spyguy
05-17-2002, 12:00 AM

What's the Pro Solo?

pro solo is mirror images of solo 2 at the same time.... kinda like drag racing.... so head to head racing against time...

correct me if im wrong?

spyguy
05-17-2002, 12:01 AM

I doubt it. My tires were really really bald hehe. I had to take it easy onto road course turn #2, if u watched my video, you would see me get WAY out of shape there on my first run.

its all about driver skill :D

4wheeldrift
05-17-2002, 06:35 AM
Next time I'm gonna have to find someone to teach me that chalking the sidewall thing... 4wheeldrift? or conedodger? :clap:

Next time you come out remind me and I'll show you how to chalk. I've got a 10 gallon air tank, but I hven't been bringing it out. I want to get more anal about my tire pressures, but I haven't really had the time with all the organization and other stuff I've had to do.

speedracer
05-17-2002, 10:21 AM
Kenny, you just trace the cone :p

conedodger
05-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Brando and Warren,

Nice to see you guys over here as well. I took the liberty of saying a few things that you *couldn't* over on the Celica and Alberta cars sites.

Shelton, It was good to meet you.
Kenny, I'll have to introduce myself properly next time - I was too busy to even remember your face.

Regardless, its good to see new people coming out to the events. Just remember to get there early...

Scott.

kenny
05-17-2002, 11:10 AM
The CSCC was awesome... it was my first time at a solo2 event and I even showed up late! (sorry) and I got teched and was ready to run in a few minutes. The guy in the green jacket... was that you Scott?

Even though all the organizers were busy, my questions were still answered promptly, it was great. I know Warren seemed like he was scrambling to get things in order but he still answered my question about what class I'm in and stuff.

Being the first event and all I was quite nervous as I had no clue what I was doing but I just sat along for a ride right before my run to get a gauge of what the braking points were and I was off. I had a blast and got some decent times which were all based on driver skill (haha right, I'm gonna keep telling myself this).

Next time I will show up early and help setup or something. :thumbsup:

rage2
05-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Nice to see you guys over here as well. I took the liberty of saying a few things that you *couldn't* over on the Celica and Alberta cars sites.

Our philosophy here is to not restrict what one can or can not say... we're not out to please people. It's a discussions board, there's no place for censorship here. We're all adults, so unless there's something way over the line (ie personal death threats hehe) we're not going to stop you from speaking your mind.

Shelton, It was good to meet you.
Kenny, I'll have to introduce myself properly next time - I was too busy to even remember your face.

Regardless, its good to see new people coming out to the events. Just remember to get there early...

Scott.

It was nice meeting you too. You guys got us hooked. See ya at Pro-Solo next week! =)

rage2
05-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Being the first event and all I was quite nervous as I had no clue what I was doing but I just sat along for a ride right before my run to get a gauge of what the braking points were and I was off.

Why you choose *me* to ride with I'll never know. I'm a rookie too! No wonder your times were so bad, my lines were way off on my runs =).

redline
05-17-2002, 11:14 AM

Why you choose *me* to ride with I'll never know. I'm a rookie too! No wonder your times were so bad, my lines were way off on my runs =).

your tellin me :banghead:

speedracer
05-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Conedodger.
:rofl: Good post. A shame I had to tone down my post. :nut:

4wheeldrift
05-17-2002, 01:35 PM

Yeah, but you saw first hand how NOT to take the corner into the turn around road :banghead:

conedodger
05-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Kenny - You had a "get out of jail free card". Shelton told me (chicken with his head cut off wearing a green jacket) you were coming a good 15 minutes before you showed up. I had a form ready for you. Next time be early ;)

Great forum you ppl have here.

Not sure if I'll be able to make the prosolo. I'll be at the next solo2 event though...

Scott.

4wheeldrift
05-17-2002, 03:08 PM
I'm going to be lucky to make any events for awhile. I've got some stuff happening in my personal life that is likely going to keep me away for awhile. Mike West will probably step in until I'm able to take over again.

conedodger
05-17-2002, 03:12 PM

I saw your vids - nice wheel work especially the recovery on the tail slide going into turn 3. The key to going fast is being smooth, using all of the track and hitting the apexes - but that will come with more time on the track. It was also cool seeing the red light on your dash indicating the anti slide control (or whatever it's called) helping save your pride in that oversteer ;)

I'll gladly take you for a spin next time.

conedodger
05-17-2002, 03:14 PM
Warren,

I can help out running the regular events. Mike can take the prosolos. Let me know if you need the help.

Scott

work - 243 2238 ext 230

4wheeldrift
05-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Its not that I need help man, I need a replacement. I doubt I'll be able to hit any of the events until probably july :(

conedodger
05-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Give me a list of contacts and we will take it from there. Or Mike, being the VP, can direct me.

Hope things work out for you.

Scott.

speedracer
05-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Don't forget me. I can help out as well.

ProSolo 2 - I can't

kenny
05-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Kenny - You had a "get out of jail free card". Shelton told me (chicken with his head cut off wearing a green jacket) you were coming a good 15 minutes before you showed up. I had a form ready for you. Next time be early ;)

Great forum you ppl have here.

Not sure if I'll be able to make the prosolo. I'll be at the next solo2 event though...

Scott.

Yep, I'll make it up by showing up early to the next event to help setup :) ProSolo sounds interesting, I'll probably goto that as well to check it out.

rage2
05-17-2002, 07:49 PM
I saw your vids - nice wheel work especially the recovery on the tail slide going into turn 3. The key to going fast is being smooth, using all of the track and hitting the apexes - but that will come with more time on the track. It was also cool seeing the red light on your dash indicating the anti slide control (or whatever it's called) helping save your pride in that oversteer ;)

Next time out we'll have cameras in both cars. Kenny went out and bought his own monopod setup for his car. He's running 2 cameras tonight (front and rear) at Secret Street!

The ESP traction control is nice. It's not too intrusive, and helps me find the limit on my first run. That big oversteer wasn't expected. Even with the traction control, the car got really out of shape. Kenny was like "Is ESP on???"

I got my new tires today... the oversteer should be toned down/gone next time out! =)

rage2
05-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I'm going to be lucky to make any events for awhile. I've got some stuff happening in my personal life that is likely going to keep me away for awhile. Mike West will probably step in until I'm able to take over again.

Hope everything goes well. Your work was much appreciated.

kenny
05-18-2002, 03:27 AM

Next time out we'll have cameras in both cars. Kenny went out and bought his own monopod setup for his car. He's running 2 cameras tonight (front and rear) at Secret Street!

I actually didn't pick up a monopod, but ordered a Manfrotto Super Clamp and adjustable arm to mount the camera to the rollbar in the car.