PDA

View Full Version : Wrong mailing address for a year....

yellowsnow
04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
So I was renting my place to a few people over a year ago, and I still receive their god damn mail after a year. I have always write " WRONG ADDRESS, RETURN TO SENDER" on the mail, but they still keep coming.

Can I just toss them out? I'm getting pretty annoyed, it's usually 1 or 2 pieces of mail PER DAY. I don't know where my old renters are, so I can't mail them their crap. I've gotten their T4 statements, insurance documents... etc lol

Am I legally obligated to keep writing RETURN TO SENDER, WRONG ADDRESS on each fuggin piece of mail?

Dumbass17
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
i'd like to know this as well...i get the same shit.
now i just carry a felt marker when i check the mailbox and write R.T.S. NO LONGER LIVES HERE on the envelopes and stick it back into the send slot

highsociety
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Instruct the person who gathers the mail for you to throw it out.

Hakkola
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by highsociety
Instruct the person who gathers the mail for you to throw it out.

You can't throw out someone's mail.

Call Canada Post to inform them of the problem.

Thomas Gabriel
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
We've been getting the previous residents mail for well over a year. I don't understand how he can exist in society without getting this stuff.

highsociety
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
We've been getting the previous residents mail for well over a year. I don't understand how he can exist in society without getting this stuff.

Open it up. There may be cash money or gift certificates you can use.

stealth
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I just throw them out.

gatorade
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
opening someones mail is a federal offence, and I think throwing someones mail out is illegal too, i'd call canada post

ExtraSlow
04-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I had this problem. I tried everything I could think of, and eventually, I opened a couple when I was bored one day. It was an overdue credit card statement. So just for kicks, I called the credit card company, and I used the account number on the statement and asked them to change the address. They were really nice to me until they figured out that I wasn't the card holder. They can't change the address without the approval of the cardholder apparently. The customer service person told me that opening someone else's mail was a federal crime. I asked them to phone the police and see if they could change the address.

Nothing came of it, and I throw it all out now. I've lived at this address for three years, if the previous owner wanted that mail, they would have handled it by now.

Kavy
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Don't throw it out, or open it.

Both can land you federal charges as stupid as it sounds.

Keep writing RTS on them and putting them back in the mail box.
It takes 5 seconds to do this, and I guarantee Bubba wont take 5 seconds in the slammer.

All it takes is a pissed off ex girlfriend or jerk off to place a call and land you in some serious shit.

Willie Bobo
04-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
So I was renting my place to a few people over a year ago, and I still receive their god damn mail after a year. I have always write " WRONG ADDRESS, RETURN TO SENDER" on the mail, but they still keep coming.

Can I just toss them out? I'm getting pretty annoyed, it's usually 1 or 2 pieces of mail PER DAY. I don't know where my old renters are, so I can't mail them their crap. I've gotten their T4 statements, insurance documents... etc lol

Am I legally obligated to keep writing RETURN TO SENDER, WRONG ADDRESS on each fuggin piece of mail?

Try writing "MOVED, RETURN TO SENDER" cause really it isn't the wrong address, the person just moved. Lets just say the post office sends it back to whoever sent it, that person/company checks the address they have on file and omg it's not wrong. So in their eyes there isn't a problem and they keep sending you unwanted crap, but if you tell them why it's wrong, they might look into it. Pro tip.

5000Audi
04-11-2009, 11:34 PM
when this happend to me a few years back, i kept doing return to sender n whatnot, still kept comming, so i just decided to keep it, everytime i got mail i would toss it into a shoe box, soon enough that got full and started to put it into a big box, after about 2 years of this i brought the box to the post office and said this person no longer lives at my house so please send this all back to find out where he lives.. the post office wasnt to impressed with me lol

95EagleAWD
04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
when this happend to me a few years back, i kept doing return to sender n whatnot, still kept comming, so i just decided to keep it, everytime i got mail i would toss it into a shoe box, soon enough that got full and started to put it into a big box, after about 2 years of this i brought the box to the post office and said this person no longer lives at my house so please send this all back to find out where he lives.. the post office wasnt to impressed with me lol

THAT is really funny.

D. Dub
04-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Buy a shredder :D

Mixalot27
04-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Does anyone ever actually get busted for throwing away the previous tenants mail or opening it? I'm sure this must happen all the time but has anyone heard of anyone getting caught? While technically illegal I wonder if anything would ever come of it. It would seem difficult to prove and I'm curious what the penalties would be.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo

Try writing "MOVED, RETURN TO SENDER" cause really it isn't the wrong address, the person just moved. Lets just say the post office sends it back to whoever sent it, that person/company checks the address they have on file and omg it's not wrong. So in their eyes there isn't a problem and they keep sending you unwanted crap, but if you tell them why it's wrong, they might look into it. Pro tip.
I wrote that on each piece of mail for three years. Didn't make a difference.

em2ab
04-12-2009, 09:48 AM
You guys are going to hate me. I've moved 7 times in the last 3 years and I'm moving again in July. I have no idea where my mail goes, don't know who gets my bank statements, cell phone bills, insurance documents....no idea. ATB called me about my car loan and said they got 3 years worth of stubs returned to them and that I should go pick them up.

The funniest thing is I went to DTP in 2005 and paid $15 for 2 years worth of magazine subscriptions to Performance Auto And Sound. The following month I moved so I only got 1 copy and the other 23 went to whoever moved into my place after. Then in 2007 I signed up for another 2 years and the following month I moved and the same thing happened. In 4 years I got 2 magazines, someone else got the other 46 copies. That possibly made up for all the other mail that went there! I did the same thing with a newspaper subscription too, it was delivered daily for 6 months to someone else.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, I hate you.

Amysicle
04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
^^+1

Why don't you call up your banks and stuff and change your address with them? There might be a month delay between the printing of your statements and when they change the info.

But why would you ever want your personal information floating around? What if the next tenant who lived at your previous residence wasn't so kind to just mark it RTS and instead opened your mail, collected enough personal info to open credit in your name?

You're just leaving yourself wide open to identity theft. I realize you may not have any credit or anything of value now, but this could come back to bite your ass years down the road.

em2ab
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
^^+1

Why don't you call up your banks and stuff and change your address with them? There might be a month delay between the printing of your statements and when they change the info.

But why would you ever want your personal information floating around? What if the next tenant who lived at your previous residence wasn't so kind to just mark it RTS and instead opened your mail, collected enough personal info to open credit in your name?

You're just leaving yourself wide open to identity theft. I realize you may not have any credit or anything of value now, but this could come back to bite your ass years down the road.

I only stay in places a maximum of 3 months before moving again. Sometimes I change over some stuff and forget about others which is why pretty much all my mail goes to different addresses. I can't even think of everything I need to change.

The worst part is last week when I found out my $4000 shares certificate and cheque was mailed out to my old house on Frobisher Boulevard.....:cry:

Amysicle
04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Ohhh that's shitty. I remember when we moved we put a mail forward on our mail, but that adds up to a lot of $$$ if you move every 3 months or so.

Couldn't you get your stuff mailed off to your parents house or something as a permanent address and just pick it up from there every so often?

em2ab
04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Ohhh that's shitty. I remember when we moved we put a mail forward on our mail, but that adds up to a lot of $$$ if you move every 3 months or so.

Couldn't you get your stuff mailed off to your parents house or something as a permanent address and just pick it up from there every so often?

Parents' house is 5000 kilometers away from here. That's a long trip.

scat19
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
For me it's not that hard, I live in a condo so I just toss it on the table and keep a pen in my mail slot :)

ExtraSlow
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
Parents' house is 5000 kilometers away from here. That's a long trip. Have you considered renting a mail box?
http://www.theupsstore.ca/mail-receiving-services

em2ab
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Have you considered renting a mail box?
http://www.theupsstore.ca/mail-receiving-services
Some of last year's residences for me have included Atlanta and New York, now I'm back in Calgary. Mailbox isn't an option neither unfortunately.