PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Jumpers Knee? (Patella tendinitis / patella tendinopathy)

rizfarmer
04-12-2009, 10:04 PM
... and are you using any straps or braces for relief? I've always just gotten taped up but it's a pain in the ass.

I started using this:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/sneakyotto/MuellerKneestrap.jpg

and so far has been helpful but I think I could use something a little more agressive.

I found this strap, and it looks to be more sport oriented

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/sneakyotto/Kneeditkneestrap.jpg

it's twice as much as the first strap but I don't know if it will be any more effective.

Anyone have experience with this Kneed-IT product? or use something else?

hassanc21
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I used a similar one to the kneed-it one. the U-shape helps align the patella.
Have you gone to physio for it? They say the usual causes are and underdeveloped Vastus medialis and and/or a tight IT band.
Use the foam roller on your IT band daily it'll hurt to begin with. Also, do leg extensions but start halfway and extend to straight from there. The Vastus medialis is engaged during the last movements of the leg extension or squat. Also, squat holding a volleyball between your knees.

These ara all things I have done to keep it at bay and so far it has been working. I haven't used my strap for two years.

~Leah~
04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by hassanc21
I used a similar one to the kneed-it one. the U-shape helps align the patella.
Have you gone to physio for it? They say the usual causes are and underdeveloped Vastus medialis and and/or a tight IT band.
Use the foam roller on your IT band daily it'll hurt to begin with. Also, do leg extensions but start halfway and extend to straight from there. The Vastus medialis is engaged during the last movements of the leg extension or squat. Also, squat holding a volleyball between your knees.

These ara all things I have done to keep it at bay and so far it has been working. I haven't used my strap for two years.

x2:thumbsup:

rizfarmer
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
I had osgood schlatters growing up and it still really affects me even though I'm in my 20's. I told my doctor at my last physical and he kind of brushed it off like 'yeah right, that shit goes away when you're a kid'

I'm going to order the V-shaped strap

hassanc21
04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Have you been seeing a physiotherapist about it?
I forgot to mention tendinitis is also a result of inflammation and needs regular icing to keep it away. Also, treatment with NSAIDS (ibuprofen etc.) is a help. But make sure you get professional help before you do that. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV either.

Is it actual tendinitis or Patellar Femoral Pain Syndrome? They both have similar symptoms and are often confused with each other.

core_upt
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Bump on this thread.

I've been battling Patellar Femoral Pain Syndrome/Chondromalacia/Runner's Knee for almost a month. It sucks.

Lots of stretching, ice, and physio is slowly getting me better, but I have gone from running 30+k a week to nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions on bracing for it? I'm still awaiting my phyios's input on a brace, but thought i'd throw it out here.

Hakkola
05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Where can I buy these?

rizfarmer
05-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I got mine at a physio supply shop in kensington. but you can get them a little cheaper on ebay