PDA

View Full Version : dirt biking and quading around calgary area???

stinky_1
04-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I picked up a couple small dirt bikes and a quad a few weeks ago. I figured my kids would love booting around on them. Now my only problem is...... where do we go to ride?

If any of you have some good places that you like to go to just boot around on an afternoon, I would love to hear about them. I am not big into partying places, my kids are very young. But, running around in our back yard is only good for soo long.

We live in Airdrie, so if you know of any places on this side of the city, I am all ears. we are excited to get out and open them up. I am going to be tweaking and tuning on them tomorrow so they are ready to run whenever.

Dave P
04-13-2009, 08:00 AM
http://rockymountaindirtriders.com/

www.groundpounderz.org

www.groundpilots.com

SJW
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Mclean Creek.

stinky_1
04-13-2009, 08:23 AM
everyone I talked to has been saying that mclean creek has got fish and wildlife out there just about every day handing out tickets. Tickets for what? I dont know. Maybe they just dont want new people coming to their "spots". I hear it is pretty buisy though.

Thank you for the input so far guys. Keep em coming

s_havinga
04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I have never got a ticket a Mclean, the do require you to have your bikes registered and insured but that is the same with and forestry region. I believe they also want you to have a headlight on your bike but I am not 100% on that one. Either way I would be really surprised if they wrote a small child a ticket for anything. They are more stirct on things like drinking and guys ripping around being unsafe. Go to mclean, you'll have a great time.

As for other options, if you want to stay in the north you could go to waiprous (sp?) by cochrane. I have heard they have pretty much shut it down for 4x4ing but dirt biking and quading is still ok.

stinky_1
04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I was told that a flashlight taped onto the handle bars counts as a headlight.:dunno:

The quad has one anyway. The bikes do not.

I have been to waiprus before. It seemed ok.

nobody lives north of calgary with a 1/4 section that they let guys rip around on for fun?

I was reading online, and there seems to be a place up by dickson dam. But I cant find any details on where it is, or how to get there. Anyone heard of this?

SJW
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
In the 5+ years i've been going to mclean i've been pulled over once. I had all my correct devices/paperwork.

When I rode dirt bike i'd never stop for those guys. There is not way they're catching you on a dirtbike.

Just register and insure your bike. All the lights n shit are forgivable by them with the "i didn't know" excuse.

Dave P
04-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I ride mclean with pedal bike lights duct tape to the fenders, ranger ricks have never had a problem with them.

just have proper paper work

ZedMan
04-14-2009, 12:23 AM
^ this :thumbsup:
IIRC you can get a cheap bicycle headlight and taillight from MEC for ~$25

Dave P
04-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ZedMan
^ this :thumbsup:
IIRC you can get a cheap bicycle headlight and taillight from MEC for ~$25

$25??????

are you crazy? i got mine for $6 at canadian tire haha. The ones with batteries where $10, but i thought that was just to much hahaha. my lights dont even turn on, but rangers just want to see em on there.

SJW
04-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I used a light that you strap on your head from princess auto for 4 bucks.