PDA

View Full Version : Stat 211 Tutor

jensv
04-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Hello,

If anybody is good at Statistics or knows somebody who can answer a few questions about Stat 211, (Concepts of statistics) please send me a PM. Thanks.

Some topics include hypothesis testing, sampling, and the course webpage is http://math.ucalgary.ca/~jbstall/Stat211L02.html

Zero102
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
That course is super easy. Worried about the group quiz are we?

jensv
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
I finished my group quiz so now I'm mostly worried about the upcoming final.

Zero102
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
The final is 30% pre-midterm and 70% post-midterm, you will need to know (and really know) hypothesis testing, stating null/alternate hypothesis' and make sure you know solidly when to apply Z and T tables to the tests, because you can bet he will leave out the "perform a Z test of..." part, and just say "perform the relevant test".

The pre-midterm stuff will probably be heavy on box models, re-doing the midterm should show you everything you will need to know for that, he won't be putting much emphasis on this part of the course.

Chi squared is pretty simple, but make sure you know it and double check your math, a small numerical error can cost you big marks.

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
advice for OP:

make a list of steps you have to take for certain examples.

for example make a list when you know it is two tailed, then from there what the test statistic is and which distrobution to use. its all about how you organize your thoughts, you cant just wing it like a theory based course (obviously) lol.

jens, i looked at the course sylabbus. give me the number of which you are having trouble and i will gladly help you.

Neil4Speed
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
advice for OP:
for example make a list when you know it is two tailed, then from there what the test statistic is and which distrobution to use. its all about how you organize your thoughts, you cant just wing it like a theory based course (obviously) lol.

very good advice!

jensv
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
If I survive today I will work through all my notes and make a list of my questions before Thursday. ;)

Thanks for your kindness. I appreciate the fact that you're taking time out of your day to help some guy on a forum that you've never even met. It makes this week seem just a little less hellish :D

Neil4Speed
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM
No worries mang, we have all been there.

Zero102
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Just don't stress about this exam. 8AM finals suck, but there is nothing complicated in this course just don't over-think the questions. Remember to watch out for trick wording and just answer what he asks, don't think you are super clever and you won't make any cocky mistakes.

Don't write _ANY_ steps at all on your formula sheet, word has it he is not afraid to issue 0% on finals for disallowed formula sheets, and like he mentioned after the midterm, he will be watching for people who don't hand theirs in, and they will fail.

Make sure you know when to use Z or T distributions and when to use SD/SD+ and FPC.

The pre-midterm stuff should be easy and be a few free marks to offset anything that goes wrong in the harder part of the exam.